• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

The ACC should've gotten aggressive a few months ago after the UT/OU news. Proactively try to poach some Pac-12 schools etc. Looks like a failure of leadership here with the commissioner and AD's assuming the conference would be ok because "it's the ACC."

Also...shouldn't Phillips have had his ear to the ground on this? What's the point of hiring a former Big10 AD if he doesn't know about moves like this ahead of them becoming public? He should've known this was coming and been working to counteract this for weeks at this point.

How do you know he didn't and wasn't? What do you expect him to do? The ACC is viewed as a target, not a destination. The schools that might be interested won't change that.

Super conferences yes have 8 spots but we’re not calculating the other PAC 12 schools worth picking up - Which would be Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and maybe Cal. So you’re really taking about 4 or 5 spots from the ACC for SEC/Big 10. Clemson, FSU, and Miami are gone in that scenario but then it’s complicated for the other 1-2 spots. On paper- should be UNC and UVA but then they have their land grant fellow state school rivals that are likely a package deal then you have the Duke card. Not enough spots for all of those schools unless SEC/Big 10 start dropping schools like Vandy, NW, MS State, Indiana, etc. which I don’t think can happen. The Triangle is a huge media market and super conference doesn’t need all 3 of those schools - maybe 1 in each conference.

When these news reports say such and such school is “applying” to a new conference I like to imagine the AD filling out a form with like name, telephone number, address, etc like at a doctors office.

The ACCs relative lack of football powers and huge student body schools seems to have doomed it from the beginning. The only way to survive in this reorganization is to attract schools with large fanbases to leave their conference and join ours, but we haven’t been able to do that because are surrounded by the SEC. Losing Maryland was a blow, but our options to expand geographically were super limited. We could realistically have added: Rutgers, Temple, WVU, Cincy, Central Florida, South Florida

Last edited:
Hell, Temple and the directional Florida schools might very well end up in the new ACC a few years from now

I haven't seen the Grant of Rights language, but I wonder if it would prevent this scenario:

SEC offers membership to FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, NCState, Duke, UVA, and VaTech (or whatever combo sets your heart a-flutter). The TV revenue attributable to each new school is distributed to the current 16 members. Those current members agree to a new "membership fee" paid to the SEC in an amount that is roughly equivalent to the increased TV revenue amounts they are now getting as a result of expansion. The SEC establishes a support fund to help any new members with financial needs associated with their transition. This arrangement lasts for 15 years, or until all parties agree to terminate it. Thus, there is no TV revenue going to the 8 departing schools, so there's nothing for the ACC to collect under the Grant of Rights. SEC says to the ACC, "My offer is this... Nothing."

Obviously the remaining 7 ACC schools would pitch a fit (while they scramble looking for a new home), but if there's no ACC left, there's no one to enforce the Grant of Rights. From there, the shriveled corpse of the ACC could try to negotiate SOMETHING to avoid protracted litigation, but it would fall far short of 15 years of TV revenue for the 8 departing members and couldn't be enough to hold the conference together.

This guy lawyers

When these news reports say such and such school is “applying” to a new conference I like to imagine the AD filling out a form with like name, telephone number, address, etc like at a doctors office.

On a clipboard using a pen with a chain on it

I understand this move is 100% about money and therefore driven by football, and that academics left the conversation a long time ago...

but imagine having a basketball schedule and having USC play at Maryland for a mid-week game. The only way it almost, kinda sorta works would be to have a mid-week game at Maryland, then a game 2-3 days later at Rutgers or somewhere close, while pretending to take online classes with a 3-hour time difference in between. What a charade.

Absolutely.

The ACC needs to try adding Colorado, whatever larger PAC-12 schools it can+Stanford (to help entice ND), Texas Tech, West Virginia, and of course Notre Dame. In other words, here is the formula: Denver is a big media market, get into Texas, get onto the West Coast, and add in a large athletic school from the East or Southeast. Renegotiate a TV contract.

Last edited:
Even if the Big 10 and SEC decide to go to 20 teams each, there are going to be a bunch of viable choices to add to the ACC. I think the best case scenario is for the ACC to become, as the SI article suggested, a league of academically-minded schools with high level athletics. Even if UNC leaves, Duke isn't going to the Big 10 and neither is UVA. There is going to be a place for Wake in a conference with schools like that. What I would like to see in the new Coastal Conference:

East: Wake, BC, Cuse, Duke, UVA, GT, VT, NC State, and possibly the Florida schools and WVU.
West: Baylor, Colorado, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Kansas. Other possibilities: Utah, TCU, Arizona.

Not very enticing, but an attempt to keep the ACC alive as a mega conference of sorts. Assumes the SEC/B1G will only take FSU and not Miami.

Wake
Duke
UNC
NCSU

UVA
VA Tech
WVU
Pitt

Syracuse
BC
Temple
Navy

Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
OK State

GA Tech
Cent Florida
South Florida
Miami

TCU
Houston
Tx Tech
Baylor

The ACC needs to try adding Colorado, whatever larger PAC-12 schools it can+Stanford (to help entice ND), Texas Tech, West Virginia, and of course Notre Dame. In other words, here is the formula: Denver is a big media market, get into Texas, get onto the West Coast, and add in a large athletic school from the East or Southeast. Renegotiate a TV contract.

IF the ACC could pick up two or more of the Big 12 schools (and maybe new members Cincinnati and UCF) and then look to those PAC-12 schools, it might save our hides. The ACC will be gone. Such an expanded conference will require a new name, but survive.

I like this idea and something like this is probably the only way the conference, which will of course no longer be the "Atlantic Coast" conference, can survive. But I don't see any way the ACC as we've long known it doesn't bite the dust. And we aren't getting ND. They're too important not to go to the SEC or B10. It will be B10 in my view.

Ha. Wild bill and I basically said the same thing ten mins apart.

From The Athletic:

"With the future Playoff format an unknown, and with the revenue disparity set to grow even more now, Notre Dame might likely be leaving serious money on the table by remaining independent. And the new-look Big Ten, with its L.A. additions, would allow Notre Dame the same opportunity to compete across the country that it has now.

The Irish currently house their non-football sports in the ACC, so much of the outside world believes that if they were to move to a conference full-time, it would be the ACC. But the belief among several ACC schools is that that conference is beyond saving — even if Notre Dame were to join for football — and that the only thing holding it together right now is a Grant of Rights through 2035-36, which essentially means that any exiting member would forfeit its media rights revenue until that time. Nevertheless, several ACC schools have been studying the Grant of Rights in the hopes of a legal workaround to minimize the cost of leaving should a lifeboat arrive from another conference."

That's not very good if the current ACC schools are thinking it can't be saved. If you think that, then it won't be.

Back