• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

lol at that headline then this blurb in the article. USC and UCLA were moving regardless of the playoff deal then the SEC and Big 10 would've figured a way to get out of the playoff deal. This article is just stupid clickbait.

The uneven nature of media rights likely would have lured USC and UCLA to leave anyway. Big Ten schools may earn $50 million or more per year than Pac-12 schools when its new television contracts are announced.

Had the Pac-12 made a deal for the playoff six months ago, though, at least the conference would be sitting on a near-certain spot in the postseason.

Last edited:

The issue wasn't as much about playoff spots as it was about the media rights. Immediate expansion meant canceling the current ESPN deal. ESPN wanted exclusive negotiation rights to the expanded playoffs as the cancellation "fee." Fox and B1G wanted a shot at the new playoffs. So might streaming services. That is what killed the playoff expansion proposal. Not how many slots for which conference.

i'm starting to go down the rabbit hole on this one...
So with the Big10 and Sec at 40 total teams and their mega TV contract, do they only play against themselves? Would they schedule outside their conferences?
I believe there is a future for the ACC, albeit with different schools, and with a significantly reduced TV contract, basically turning everyone outside of the 40 teams into Div I-AA program (reduced scholarships would probably be the first thing to happen).

I haven’t seen or heard anything from Phillips to convince me he’s not a massive tool.

yeah basically his accomplishments to date seem to be:

1. the new permanent rival football thing that is now looking to be DOA just like 2 days after announcement
2. watching the ACC get absolutely shit on throughout football and basketball seasons, with the ACC dominating the tournament and the team with the COY and POY left at home
3. talking about moving the offices in an era where many big companies are downsizing offices and embracing remote work

i'm starting to go down the rabbit hole on this one...
So with the Big10 and Sec at 40 total teams and their mega TV contract, do they only play against themselves? Would they schedule outside their conferences?
I believe there is a future for the ACC, albeit with different schools, and with a significantly reduced TV contract, basically turning everyone outside of the 40 teams into Div I-AA program (reduced scholarships would probably be the first thing to happen).

20 teams each allows you to break a 9 game conference schedule into a set of 4 permanent rivals and three sets of 5 - so you'd get to play every team in the conference once every three years and a home-home every 6. You'd still get 3 non-conference games, which would likely all include one FCS team and two teams left out of the super conferences.

Analysts estimate that ESPN's cash flow margin peaked in 2011 at 41.5% and declined to roughly 25.1% in 2021. The network, the report notes, "is projected to see margins dip into the single digits as soon as 2023."May 10, 2022

This is all being engineered by ESPN for their own survival. Last ditch effort before Disney jetisons them.

For everyone left out of the Big 2. Does it just become regional? Wake in a conference with App, ECU, Charlotte, Elon, A&T, NC Central etc? You end up playing for a state championship in college football?

ESPN used to make up about half of Disney’s overall revenue but cord cutting cut into that. Disney embracing streaming doesn’t help. I wouldn’t be surprised if this SEC/Big Ten package ends up almost exclusive on ESPN+.

Currie just needs to pull the trigger and send our application to the Big 10.

ESPN used to make up about half of Disney’s overall revenue but cord cutting cut into that. Disney embracing streaming doesn’t help. I wouldn’t be surprised if this SEC/Big Ten package ends up almost exclusive on ESPN+.

So somebody explain to me how there’s more tv money than ever but espn might be struggling?

I understand this move is 100% about money and therefore driven by football, and that academics left the conversation a long time ago...

but imagine having a basketball schedule and having USC play at Maryland for a mid-week game. The only way it almost, kinda sorta works would be to have a mid-week game at Maryland, then a game 2-3 days later at Rutgers or somewhere close, while pretending to take online classes with a 3-hour time difference in between. What a charade.

Think about the poor sucker who has to drive the equipment truck from LA 30-40 hours 6 times a year.

Which would be rejected in less than a heartbeat by the Big 10 and would then ruin our relations with ACC schools.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come through. More likely we'll be going back to the Southern Conference after a 70 year hiatus.

So somebody explain to me how there’s more tv money than ever but espn might be struggling?

I did explain it. ESPN relies on cable subscribers paying $10 a month whether they watch it or not.

Cord cutters chip into that number. Meanwhile they’re paying more for sports rights partly due to competition from streamers.

For everyone left out of the Big 2. Does it just become regional? Wake in a conference with App, ECU, Charlotte, Elon, A&T, NC Central etc? You end up playing for a state championship in college football?

It depends on how many teams are taken. A remnant of the ACC could continue: Wake, State, Ga Tech, Va Tech, BC, Syracuse, WVa, Louisville, Pitt, App St, ECU, USF, UCF. The new Big 4 of Wake, State, App St, ECU would have tremendous local appeal.

Would/could UVa save VT again and insist they go as a pair?

I said it earlier, but Currie should probably be putting the pieces in place where we go indy in football and join the Big East the second the ACC folds. This at least protects men's bball and I'm sure we could figure out an indy schedule for football. Would be a decent conference for soccer too.

Back