• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Funny that the Big 10 has this current aura of being a dominant football conference and that has led to the current situation.

tOSU has had a solid run with one title in the BCS/CFP era, but after that, what? Michigan and Mich State were both exposed in their one CFP appearance, and the rest of the conference? Yikes. Illinois? Purdue? Rutgers? Maryland? Nebraska? Indiana? Minnesota? It really is mediocre, at best, football. Understand that the Big 10 network generates revenue that the ACCN does not (hard to understand how and why as the Big 10 Network programming is largely unwatchable: rewind of Purdue with Drew Brees and Rutgers v. Penn State in Lax... yawn), but as far as on the field product goes, the Big 10 has been worse than both the ACC and Big 12 in recent years.

Which is why it seems like all of this is ultimately an intermediary step to a megaconference with only major football powers

Funny that the Big 10 has this current aura of being a dominant football conference and that has led to the current situation.

tOSU has had a solid run with one title in the BCS/CFP era, but after that, what? Michigan and Mich State were both exposed in their one CFP appearance, and the rest of the conference? Yikes. Illinois? Purdue? Rutgers? Maryland? Nebraska? Indiana? Minnesota? It really is mediocre, at best, football. Understand that the Big 10 network generates revenue that the ACCN does not (hard to understand how and why as the Big 10 Network programming is largely unwatchable: rewind of Purdue with Drew Brees and Rutgers v. Penn State in Lax... yawn), but as far as on the field product goes, the Big 10 has been worse than both the ACC and Big 12 in recent years.

Yep. When you combine NCAA football and men's basketball championships for the past two decades it is SEC > ACC > B12 > PAC12 > Big East > Big 10.

Here's what matters in regards to expansion: 1) TV markets, 2) alumni size, and 3) football. We can't control 1 and 2, and currently our football is as good as it has ever been. So Currie has the best possible hand he could have at Wake.

This. I would even say that 3 is way distant 3rd and it’s more perception than reality. WF has been better on the field at football last 5 years than many schools that will make up this super conference we won’t get invited to but we’re making up for 50 years of being not just mediocre- flat out awful for most of that time period. And yes, I know most of our peers haven’t been much better but all other private P5 schools are much bigger and/or in much bigger markets than we are (Stanford, Cuse, Vandy, Baylor, TCU, NW, BC, USC, Miami) or have a national brand due to long period of success in football or mens basketball (ND and Duke). We are unfortunately a unicorn.

Here's what matters in regards to expansion: 1) TV markets, 2) alumni size, and 3) football. We can't control 1 and 2, and currently our football is as good as it has ever been. So Currie has the best possible hand he could have at Wake.

However, Wake really decreased its brand with a decade-long suckfest on the wooden court. Would love to have had at least a decent program to pair with the current football streak.

Swofford played the long con - the ACC raiding the Big East was about getting UNC into the Big Ten all along!

So if anyone bolts from the ACC and the GOR is enforced, who gets that money? The remaining schools? Could Wake, BC, GT etc. stick around in a diminished 8 to 12-team ACC and receive a large windfall? I suppose that could only occur if no replacement teams are added, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a conference to begin with.

Yep. When you combine NCAA football and men's basketball championships for the past two decades it is SEC > ACC > B12 > PAC12 > Big East > Big 10.

Add women’s basketball and baseball and the Big Ten falls behind the AAC and is tied with the Big South and Big West.

IMO Duke, by focusing on hoops, has some leverage here. We chose to try and compete in football and took resources away from hoops settling for “fine”

Of course, we are about to find out if I’m wrong. Duke may have no leverage either.

The reality for LOWF is that in a super conference or not - we’re still gonna be treated like a G5 member. Need to consistently win for 10 years for a school like ours to be treated like a big kid- it sucks but just how it is given all we have working against us. Only way for us to get to the CFP is undefeated or automatic qualifier which is still a possibility even if ACC becomes AAC 2.0- look at Cincy this past year. Let’s not all jump out the window…yet

IMO Duke, by focusing on hoops, has some leverage here. We chose to try and compete in football and took resources away from hoops settling for “fine”

Of course, we are about to find out if I’m wrong. Duke may have no leverage either.

Duke has a 35 year history of being an elite bball program and that’s not even counting the Bubbas’ teams of the 60’s- they were the most successful team of that decade not named UCLA. Even if we had put resources towards basketball, it’s highly unlikely we would have ended up with that level of a run. K was a unicorn - worst thing that happened to us in my opinion the last 35 years because that made us think we could and should swing for the fences instead of taking the Davidson, UVA, “program route”

I have read a few times over the years that if the ACC adds a new member, that opens TV rights negotiations, which voids the existing GOR deals and allows anyone to leave without penalty

I do not know whether this is the case and I can't find a credible source for this currently, but I have read that

so...if that is true, and if the ACC adds Arizona tomorrow, Clemson could be gone, penalty-free, by Monday

(this concern is noted in the Reddit thread re: AZ to ACC linked above)

The GOR would be completely toothless if that were the case and frankly would make no sense. Is this information available anywhere for review?

I hope the Arizona rumor is true, and that we're lobbying especially hard for Cal and Stanford.

If the B1G is standing pat waiting for ND then now is the time for the American Collegiate Conference with two coastal divisions. Take the remnants from the Pac-12 and peel off Kansas, Baylor, Ok State, and whatever other school.

It'll never happen but would be cool for football. None revenue sports can be contained to their divisions except for conference championships. That conference bball tourney would be spicy.

If I were in charge of the ACC adding West Virginia seems like a no brainer. WVU and Baylor would make great additions but if you were to add them I think you'd also have to add Oklahoma State and another school for it to make sense.

If the quote from the Ohio State AD about The Alliance TM still being alive are true, maybe this is part of the plan. The B1G gets to peel off the LA teams and the remaining PAC schools and the ACC have something in the works that the B1G will get behind.

If adding WVU made sense it would have happened years ago.

If the B1G is standing pat waiting for ND then now is the time for the American Collegiate Conference with two coastal divisions. Take the remnants from the Pac-12 and peel off Kansas, Baylor, Ok State, and whatever other school.

It'll never happen but would be cool for football. None revenue sports can be contained to their divisions except for conference championships. That conference bball tourney would be spicy.

Even better: American Coastal Conference.

If the quote from the Ohio State AD about The Alliance TM still being alive are true, maybe this is part of the plan. The B1G gets to peel off the LA teams and the remaining PAC schools and the ACC have something in the works that the B1G will get behind.

LOL. That reads like a guy who stole his neighbor's wife saying "Oh yeah, we're all still friends."

Last edited:
Back