• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I don't see why it matters what "conference" you're in anymore. I mean it used to matter because you had rivalries and regional relationships. These aren't conferences. They're just divisions of the NCAA. The only reason you care about what "conference" you're in is the size of you share of the money. beyond that who cares who is in your conference anymore? Just play whatever teams are on your schedule and move on with life.

Multiple atomic bombs have been dropped on college sports. It's gone. Far fewer young people will even care about college sports in a few years. My son is the biggest sports fan I know and he goes to an SEC school with a top 25 program and he went to 1 game the last 2 years. No interest at all in college sports anymore.

LOL. That reads like a guy who stole his neighbor's wife saying "Oh yeah, we'll all still friends."

Yeah, well put.

Or the ACC saying "my wife's boyfriend is so cool. He bought me a PS5."

Yeah, well put.

Or the ACC saying "my wife's boyfriend is so cool. He bought me a PS5."

Oh man, that's great. "We play 2k on the weekends."

My son is the biggest sports fan I know and he goes to an SEC school with a top 25 program and he went to 1 game the last 2 years. No interest at all in college sports anymore.

That doesn't sound like a very big sports fan.

Of the great and many things DR is wrong about on these boards, these takes are up there.

These moves are about TV contracts, and that’s it. You don’t have to be good in FB or any other sports. Academics aren’t a factor either. Can you bring subscriber value to a contract?

That doesn't sound like a very big sports fan.

He went to close 30 Hornets games, 8 Panthers games, 2 Yankees games, and one Milwaukee Bucks game in Milwaukee, 2 Green Bay Packers games, 1 Braves game, The Masters, etc. all in the last year. He's just pretty much done with college sports. I am sure I'm not a great influence.

He went to close 30 Hornets games, 8 Panthers games, 2 Yankees games, and one Milwaukee Bucks game in Milwaukee, 2 Green Bay Packers games, 1 Braves game, The Masters, etc. all in the last year. He's just pretty much done with college sports. I am sure I'm not a great influence.

Most college students do not have access to anything remotely close to those types of games/sporting events and are therefore big fans of their school's teams that they can attend for free (at least free at schools like Wake idk how much student tickets are at SEC schools)

These moves are all about getting eyeballs on TV screens. The school alumni, including "subway" alums and Walmart alums plus the local area followers are what makes a school attractive. Success on the field is only important to the extent it drives viewership.

Most college students do not have access to anything remotely close to those types of games/sporting events and are therefore big fans of their school's teams that they can attend for free (at least free at schools like Wake idk how much student tickets are at SEC schools)

Every generation knocks the next one for being soft and not invested in their school - “back in my day…” “kids these days, etc.”. The reality goes that you can’t compare it because each generation has new tools and technology the previous one didn’t. When I was in school in mid-2000’s- yeah some kids stayed the entire game but more often than not people would peel out at half and not come back why? To go drink and watch other games at bars. A generation before that you could drink in the stadium easily and you wouldn’t leave because you couldn’t go to the bar to watch anything. Now, you can drink in the stadium and watch 5 different games on your phone but reality is there are just more distractions and stuff college kids want to do on the weekends than even 15 years ago. It’s a problem at all universities across the country- reality is that the “casual” fan viewing is more important for TV ratings and viewing than the diehard fan. Because we score a lot of points and are fun to watch, we probably have more casual fans now that at any time in our history. Is it enough to get us in the Mega Conference? Probably not but we’ll survive in some shape or form.

It probably won't be enough to get us in the Mega Conference, but this is sure as hell the most important season in Wake football history. The future of Wake athletics is at stake.

It probably won't be enough to get us in the Mega Conference, but this is sure as hell the most important season in Wake football history. The future of Wake athletics is at stake.

I would raise you and say the future of Wake Forest University is on the line

Every generation knocks the next one for being soft and not invested in their school - “back in my day…” “kids these days, etc.”. The reality goes that you can’t compare it because each generation has new tools and technology the previous one didn’t. When I was in school in mid-2000’s- yeah some kids stayed the entire game but more often than not people would peel out at half and not come back why? To go drink and watch other games at bars. A generation before that you could drink in the stadium easily and you wouldn’t leave because you couldn’t go to the bar to watch anything. Now, you can drink in the stadium and watch 5 different games on your phone but reality is there are just more distractions and stuff college kids want to do on the weekends than even 15 years ago. It’s a problem at all universities across the country- reality is that the “casual” fan viewing is more important for TV ratings and viewing than the diehard fan. Because we score a lot of points and are fun to watch, we probably have more casual fans now that at any time in our history. Is it enough to get us in the Mega Conference? Probably not but we’ll survive in some shape or form.

I mean fair enough but my comment didn’t really have anything to do with all of that. He said his son was a die hard sports fan who doesn’t go to his school’s football games and attends all those other pro games instead. My point was that most college students don’t have the money/time to go to pro games like that, so his son is too much of an outlier to make the point he was trying to make.

when are conferences going to start kicking teams out? i understand we are headed to two mega conferences, maybe even ultimately one super conference with like 30 teams... is vandy just going to be chilling in there? is purdue gonna be in the CFB equivalent of the premier league? rutgers?

when are conferences going to start kicking teams out? i understand we are headed to two mega conferences, maybe even ultimately one super conference with like 30 teams... is vandy just going to be chilling in there? is purdue gonna be in the CFB equivalent of the premier league? rutgers?

If we are going to the chopping block, I’m thinking top from SEC would be (in this order) Vandy, MS State, Kentucky, Mizzou, SC. For Big 20, NW, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue. As someone had posted, I don’t think you can really kick teams out so this is a moot point.

thats like 33% of a supposed mega conference that no one gives a shit about

the nba but there are g league teams in there too randomly. there are no rules and any team can bolt at any time but oh vanderbilt is going to be making a bajillion dollars for the rest of eternity because they joined a geographic athletic conference in 1932

the nba but there are g league teams in there too randomly. there are no rules and any team can bolt at any time but oh vanderbilt is going to be making a bajillion dollars for the rest of eternity because they joined a geographic athletic conference in 1932

Right. That’s why I wish we’d move past even this intermediate charade and onto the final solution of football megapowers. Vandy has no business being a part of this nor do a lot of other presently fortunate teams.

Back