• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Right. That’s why I wish we’d move past even this intermediate charade and onto the final solution of football megapowers. Vandy has no business being a part of this nor do a lot of other presently fortunate teams.

The B1G is in negotiations right now for broadcast rights. If they sign an agreement, it would seem likely all members will stick around to honor it. When does the current SEC contract expire?

i just want to make sure i understand how this is playing out. money rules all, fuck tradition and history, and 150 years of playing in a row, unless you already in the super conference. sense, it makes none.

the disparity between the mega teams and the lower tier teams in said conference is just gonna grow in the mega conference. it will be the super conference and all the other teams will settle back into normal CFB which will be a different league/product.

If we are going to the chopping block, I’m thinking top from SEC would be (in this order) Vandy, MS State, Kentucky, Mizzou, SC. For Big 20, NW, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue. As someone had posted, I don’t think you can really kick teams out so this is a moot point.

I don’t see MS State going anywhere. The others, maybe.

As for the Big Whatever, Northwestern has been more successful than all of those programs over the last decade. If recent history means anything (and facilities), they’ll be fine.

recent history matters none. texas has sucked ass for a decade. this is about money, no one GAF about northwestern

So if fewer than 8 teams leave the ACC, they pay the exit fee, right? What is the window of time? For example, if 4 teams leave, how soon are they responsible for paying those exit fees before 4 more can also be swooped up, thereby eliminating the penalties? Does it have to be literally simultaneous?

I ask because I wonder what sort of deal making is going on, and how the timing has to be orchestrated.

I would like to see a leaked copy of the Grant of Rights agreement for the ACC

The Smart Schools Conference (SSC) will make a lot more sense if Vandy and Northwestern are able to join Wake, UVA, Stanford, Cal, GT, BC, etc.

We should go to a relegation system. Two mega conferences, but the bottom four teams from each have to play a game against a top 8 team from the leftovers to stay in the conference. TV money is distributed year to year, so if you get relegated, no more big payday.

For the record, if we’re going to blow up the ACC and 100 years of tradition so that Alabama and Ohio State can pay their coaches $20m a year and have bigger hot tubs in their locker rooms or whatever, I’d be cool playing in a league like that where the football should be solid and relatively even and basketball would be strong. Just don’t want to end up in a league with Richmond, Furman, and Elon.

Rumor tonight is ND to Big 10

lol didnt the ACC go out of its way to contractually bind and make a big deal that if ND joins a conference it has to be the ACC and now its just like ND to the B1G

but vandy CANT get kicked out

For the record, if we’re going to blow up the ACC and 100 years of tradition so that Alabama and Ohio State can pay their coaches $20m a year and have bigger hot tubs in their locker rooms or whatever, I’d be cool playing in a league like that where the football should be solid and relatively even and basketball would be strong. Just don’t want to end up in a league with Richmond, Furman, and Elon.

1000%

lol didnt the ACC go out of its way to contractually bind and make a big deal that if ND joins a conference it has to be the ACC and now its just like ND to the B1G

but vandy CANT get kicked out

Contracts just seem like a small speed bump for lawyers, money, and courts.

Why is this such an important season for Wake football? It's no more or less important than any other. It's not like if we go 14-0 and win the national title we're getting into the SEC or B10. Why does it matter?

I'm sure the GOR is a legally sound document. It's not about finding loopholes, it's about recognizing that violating the GOR and paying whatever penalties result is more financially sensible than missing out on a chance at the big time in the SEC or B10. It's what lawyers call an "efficient breach."

Back