• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I think ND remains independent. They have their own tv deal, path to the playoffs, and complete autonomy. Why join a conference and split money with the likes of Indiana and Illinois?

Academically, ND to the ACC makes sense.... but it's not about making sense unfortunately. :(

ND will make more money in the B1G. The new contract is going to be massive They’ll also be able to play teams they’ve played traditionally: USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue.

I think ND remains independent. They have their own tv deal, path to the playoffs, and complete autonomy. Why join a conference and split money with the likes of Indiana and Illinois?

Path to playoffs of what? That’s the question.

That doesn't sound like a very big sports fan.

I think he's right, though. My daughter is (or was) a huge sports fan. She goes to UT and, except for the OU game which is a big social event, she goes to maybe one FB game a year. I don't think she's been to a single BB game. She goes where her friends are, and these games are not nearly the big deal for kids the way FB was for us.

I think the big sports fans of today are the casual sports fans of yesterday.

In a Mega Conference- does anyone think that Alabama is going split money evenly with Vandy or tOSU with NW? Heck no- so there is going to be a secondary fall-out and disparity between teams in the Mega conferences will grow brigger than they are now due to side media deals, NIL, etc. You can’t tell me that Vandy and Purdue stay in Mega Conference but there’s no room for Cal, Arizona, OK State, Baylor, Cal, VT, NC State

I tried to tell y’all to stop caring so much about college sports 5 years ago, the writing has been on the wall. Wake will be not make the cut for whatever bastardized super league is coming.

Which is fine because college sports are slowly dying.

Alabama Football will be a AAA NFL team in 20 years.

I tried to tell y’all to stop caring so much about college sports 5 years ago, the writing has been on the wall. Wake will be not make the cut for whatever bastardized super league is coming.

20 years? I think it’s already happened. Of course we won’t make the cut - even the most diehard black and gold kool air drinker/Sunshine Brigade member knows that

I tried to tell y’all to stop caring so much about college sports 5 years ago.

That was pretty terrible advice given the football seasons and games Wake has had over the past 5 years. It’s like when BKF (RIP) bailed on Wake bball right before the Duncan years and then jumped back in during the [Redacted] years.

20 years? I think it’s already happened. Of course we won’t make the cut - even the most diehard black and gold kool air drinker/Sunshine Brigade member knows that

The important thing now is that Wake and others not in the NFL-light super team league have interesting and competitive football games. And that those schools have sufficient funds to maintain the other sports.

That was pretty terrible advice given the football seasons and games Wake has had over the past 5 years. It’s like when BKF (RIP) bailed on Wake bball right before the Duncan years and then jumped back in during the [Redacted] years.

Yeah nice try

I still love Wake football and will continue to watch and critique, but college basketball is absolute trash these days so I can’t be bothered

College sports are in slow death spiral, which is probably fine. The exploitation of young athletes wasn’t going to last forever.

I think this is exactly right. First of all the TV revenue is going to dry up. Non sports fans have been subsidizing college sports for years in the cable bubble, but now streaming is making it a la carte like it always should have been. They basically robbed people for years. In addition, why watch semi pro football, when you can just buy a pro football package. Add to that half the colleges in USA will go bankrupt in 25 years or less because laying a trillion in debt on young people is at an end. Most will have online degrees in the future. The Power 5 commissioners could have gotten in a room and just shared the pie together, but greed won out. Not expanding the playoff was dumb. Losing 1 or 2 games with no chance at a championship was always unsustainable. The fans have not been consulted on any of it. These people think donors and fans will support all this. I don't. It's truly a sad time for College Sports.

This will be the end of non revenue sports for the non super conferences. And could doom the more expensive sports also. With little to no TV and bowl money what is the incentive to field a football team of 80 scholarship players. Also in the non revenue sports the super conference teams with be rolling in cash and be able to offer full rides to the entire team, this sux

It’s nice that in all the uncertainty at this point the one thing some people know for sure is that this is the death of all college sports.

Rumor mill is starting to suggest Washington and Oregon are headed to the BIG as well.

Does anyone find it remarkable that we hear zero from the men and women who hold the highest offices at Colleges and Universities say nothing about all this. It's like Clawson walks into our Presidents office and says we are leaving the ACC. Yea sure, whatever, thanks for stopping by.

Their most important job is to raise money and strengthen the "brand." Academics is a distant second.

It's now a race between the SEC and B10 to see who can grab the biggest "brands" (and TV markets) from what's left of the P5. The pundits all seem to think the B10 is waiting on ND to decide to join, and once that happens they'll add Oregon as well (think Nike, remember it's about $$$ and "brand"). Timeframe is maybe a week or so, could be sooner.

Going to be pretty interesting to watch this unfold and see where Wake lands. But the days of WF playing at the highest level of college sports are coming to an end.

Last edited:
Why is this such an important season for Wake football? It's no more or less important than any other. It's not like if we go 14-0 and win the national title we're getting into the SEC or B10. Why does it matter?

I'm sure the GOR is a legally sound document. It's not about finding loopholes, it's about recognizing that violating the GOR and paying whatever penalties result is more financially sensible than missing out on a chance at the big time in the SEC or B10. It's what lawyers call an "efficient breach."

Oddly enough I think that scenario hastens our demise. Rather than celebrating our success it will be used as an excuse for why the ACC is an inferior conference.

I do think the cap on expansion is when rivalries begin to erode. Maybe the Fox and ESPN conferences just have a bunch of teams with only one rival and it won’t be a big deal I guess?

I'm getting a kick out of packpride right now. State fans seem to think they're destined for the SEC or B10. Maybe so but I just don't see it. I've met a surprising number of State grads in my travels over the years, but I just don't think they've got the cachet or geographic reach to be a player in the Big Two. I'm not even sure they spend as much money on FB as Wake does?

Back