• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

A couple of tweets from yesterday.

This first one shows how important coaching is

How the financials looks for the various conferences after all the changes

While I really dislike what college conferences have become (they are sort of conferences in names only) and wish we still had 8-10 team conferences this is where college athletics are due to chasing money.
This further solidifies the ACC as the #3 conference well ahead of the B12. It also provides more security if any schools ultimately bolt for the Big 2 by keeping more members remaining (which also helps keep the ESPN contract without it reopening where it could be lowered).

The 3 schools make no sense geographically, but they make alot of sense academically.

The other thing this does is it sort of sticks it to FSU, Clemson and UNC. You need 25% to vote down a proposal in the ACC. With 15 votes that meant 4 schools could derail a proposal. With 18 votes than now means needing 5. So if Clemson, FSU and UNC continue to try to be obstructionist, they will need 2 more schools to go along with them.

The other thing this does is it sort of sticks it to FSU, Clemson and UNC. You need 25% to vote down a proposal in the ACC. With 15 votes that meant 4 schools could derail a proposal. With 18 votes than now means needing 5. So if Clemson, FSU and UNC continue to try to be obstructionist, they will need 2 more schools to go along with them.
Huge point

how is it that Oregon St and Wazzu are the ones left out? Doesn't Wazzu have a big following? I know there's the whole Gameday flag thing.
I believe their stadiums are basically the size of ours, which is weird for gigantic public schools.

If they had the support and interest for a move they would’ve gone with their respective state schools who left.

Excellent day for WFU. And we already hated Stanford. The travel whiners are ridiculous. Wake teams have been all over the country playing their games. This notion that California is Siberia is fucking dumb. And I will say again. Notre Dame drove this bus, because rightfully they aren’t living in a world where Stanford U is not in a power conference.

Probably because they came to their senses and realized that UNC would leave their asses in the dust in a heartbeat.
This. I can't stand State in general, but Woodson is a damn good chancellor and he does what's best for the school. He knows he can't depend on being leashed to Carolina.

Reactions: WRS
A couple of tweets from yesterday.

This first one shows how important coaching is

How the financials looks for the various conferences after all the changes

While I really dislike what college conferences have become (they are sort of conferences in names only) and wish we still had 8-10 team conferences this is where college athletics are due to chasing money.
This further solidifies the ACC as the #3 conference well ahead of the B12. It also provides more security if any schools ultimately bolt for the Big 2 by keeping more members remaining (which also helps keep the ESPN contract without it reopening where it could be lowered).

The 3 schools make no sense geographically, but they make alot of sense academically.

Also, if ACC schools figure out a way out then Big 12 schools will also since it’s the same document. We can just grab the valuable ones from there.

Huge point

The nuclear option of dissolving the ACC also becomes harder with more members.

Two years ago I would have laughed at the idea of Stanford and Cal in the conference. Now I’m on board. And sign me up for a road trip to either place during fall harvest season. I’ll skip the SMU road trip.

Two years ago I would have laughed at the idea of Stanford and Cal in the conference. Now I’m on board. And sign me up for a road trip to either place during fall harvest season. I’ll skip the SMU road trip.
SMU has a fun tailgate on the Boulevard. Just wait till October - November when its not 100 degrees.

This explains everyone's votes (with the possible exception of Virginia).

Probably because they came to their senses and realized that UNC would leave their asses in the dust in a heartbeat.
Yeah I agree with this

Wonder if Woodson was promised something as a quid pro quo for flipping the vote

Again, the UNC board of trustees have basically no hard authority, especially over stuff like this. They are a glorified advisory board. They don't actually have a say.

Now, if the board of governors or the NCGA came out with a statement against expansion then I'd be concerned since they actually could do something, like neuter the president or push for his removal if they're not happy with the move.

The board of governors might agree with the trustees and UNC might still vote no, but it'll have almost nothing to do with what the board of trustees thinks.
UNC hates the BOG. Right wingers took over the BOG and has tried to destroy UNC.

Back