• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

So now the 4 major conferences can be described as:

Big 12- subpar academics, some championships

SEC- average academics, tons of championships

Big 10- very good academics, complete and utter failure at championships

ACC- elite academics, lots of championships
You're forgetting all those UMd@Alaska and Hopkins lax championships.

The ACC is the last buzzard to the carcass. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington and Oregon were all better fixes to the one problem we have (football) than these three. We could have had any of those teams and yet we get a death penalty team, the only public school in the world that doesn't care about football and the Alabama of sports that don't make any money. We're the last ones to the lunch room on pizza day. Enjoy the gluten free veggie toast, everybody.
Colorado was definitely not a better option for the ACC than Cal or Stanford.

I appreciate the President of FSU making his niceties to the media, but who we really want to hear from is crybaby Drew. He was a horrible QB in his day and possibly a worse spokesperson. Can't imagine the tantrum he and his boys are throwing today in their lil sandbox. Someone might want to direct him to some Negotiation 101 courses.

The ACC should've taken probation-bound ASU, not relevant since the 90s Arizona, and historically bad Colorado over Stanford who has been to the Rose Bowl 3 times in the last decade is such a weird take.
Or Big 10 bound Washington and Oregon who definitely would've joined the ACC instead of the Big 10!

I think Utah would have been a fine addition but I'd also note that Utah is largely good because Kyle Wittingham is there. There's no telling if they'll continue on this path or what when he's not there in the future (not saying that will be anytime soon or not, just that he obviously won't be there forever)

Stick Florida State in a pod with SMU, Cal and Stanford as a "fuck you"
This would be amazing as an FSU grad! ❤️ Texas and California girls along with our own!!
Yeah everything about FSU sucks. Fuck em.

Well I like Stoneville. Nice dude it seems. Everybody else though..fuck em
Haha! I may be only Nole that likes this. I love the Bay Area! My Niners and Pebble and now get to go there to see FSU or Wake sounds amazing! Much better than Starkville, MS!

The ACC should've taken probation-bound ASU, not relevant since the 90s Arizona, and historically bad Colorado over Stanford who has been to the Rose Bowl 3 times in the last decade is such a weird take.
NC State cast the deciding vote while actively on probation to admit the only team that ever got the death penalty.
Arizona has been to the Final Four four times since Wake won its last ACC title in basketball.
Colorado has a top 30 recruiting class in football.

I appreciate the President of FSU making his niceties to the media, but who we really want to hear from is crybaby Drew. He was a horrible QB in his day and possibly a worse spokesperson. Can't imagine the tantrum he and his boys are throwing today in their lil sandbox. Someone might want to direct him to some Negotiation 101 courses.
Not sure why Drew has gotten himself involved in this so much when his real future is another in a great line of great Governors of FL.

NC State cast the deciding vote while actively on probation to admit the only team that ever got the death penalty.
Arizona has been to the Final Four four times since Wake won its last ACC title in basketball.
Colorado has a top 30 recruiting class in football.

how would Arizona's Final Four record help ACC football?

the point stands - Stanford has more major conference football titles over the last 20 years than Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, NC State, and UNC combined.

On a chartered jet.
And really only 4-5 weekends a season. You figure SMU/Stanford/Cal will all play one game at each's place a year, so that's one of their ACC contests; plus three that are Eastern time zone games. Stanford's OOC this season is @Hawaii, Sacramento State and Notre Dame. Cal is @North Texas, Auburn and Idaho. I'd assume Stanford keeps Notre Dame, the rest seem pretty random. But between the Big Ten, Big XII, MWC and your token I-AA team, you can easily have your 4 home conference games, 3 road conference games that are out East, 1 road conference game in the "West" and fill up your schedule pretty easily with teams west of Denver. Four transcontinental trips over the course of a 3.5 month season isn't terrible.

Last edited:
how would Arizona's Final Four record help ACC football?

the point stands - Stanford has more major conference football titles over the last 20 years than Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, NC State, and UNC combined.
And yet Iowa has tons more money under their football deal because they're in a conference full of big public schools. The ACC has more private schools than the SEC and Big 10 combined.

Colorado has almost 30,000 undergrads. Stanford has less than 8,000. It helps to know what game you're actually playing.

And yet Iowa has tons more money under their football deal because they're in a conference full of big public schools. The ACC has more private schools than the SEC and Big 10 combined.

Colorado has almost 30,000 undergrads. Stanford has less than 8,000. It helps to know what game you're actually playing.
the ACC is playing the game, "let's make it harder for FSU, Clemson and UNC to dissolve the conference". Today was a good day for the ACC in that department.

Yeah I posted this on Twitter but the naysayers to this deal really fall into three categories:

1. The Nostalgic ("I want the ACC to be back to 8 schools and any change sucks")
2. The Unrealistic ("I want SEC/Big 10 teams and/or schools that are stuck in a GOR from another conference")
3. The Departed ("This makes it harder for my team to actively tank and dissolve the conference")

Selfishly I am happy. SMU is an easy trip for the occasional sporting event. My FIL played football for SMU and my MIL was a cheerleader there. Time to take them down in football like we did the Aggies. Just need to beat the Longhorns and the triple crown will be complete.
I'm with you; I can't wait to see the Deacs at Moody and Ford. And per Pete Thamel, the ACC wants to use Dallas as a neutral venue for non-revenue sport conference games to minimize cross country travel.

the ACC is playing the game, "let's make it harder for FSU, Clemson and UNC to dissolve the conference". Today was a good day for the ACC in that department
When you had the option to do the same thing and have that plan actually sustainable, you should have done that. Truthfully, the way to save the ACC long-term was contraction, rather than expansion. Focus the value on the teams that actually deliver it and the league survives. This just make the undesirable outcome the most probable. Way too little, way too late.

Back