• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

FSU wants out and they're willing to pay their way out. SEC neither wants them nor needs them, at least not prior to 2036. If they could have broken the GOR they already would have.

There's only one option for FSU: negotiate in the short term to get more to close the gap with the teams from the SEC/Big 10.

Wake has the other goal: stay in a good conference as long as possible and compete. Wake has that through 2036 already In hand. If they (and all the other private schools) gave up a little they could ask for an extension of the GOR for ten more years.

The big schools have something the smaller schools want and vice versa. I think Wake could take little less in the short term in exchange for buying more time on the back end.

"More small schools!" Doesn't give Wake something it currently lacks. FSU missed the window to file their notice to withdraw for this year and next two weeks ago.

Wait - you think FSU and whoever would have extended the GOR for 10 more years for a few million dollars a year from Wake and [whatever number of low-rent ACC schools have no hope but to subsidize the others]?

Hahahahahahaha! What world are you living in?

FSU voted against that same deal of getting a few million extra dollars that DIDN'T require them to sign an extended GOR that they view as an albatross around their glory-filled future necks!

Are you saying you think FSU and Clemson are just itching to sign a GOR into 2046? But they just want to keep the ACC's size smaller and scrape a few million dollars from their partners???

(PS this 10 year extension to the GOR... Is there a media partner for that, or does FSU just sign a blank check for "whatever the subsequent 10 years holds"?)

I don't claim to know what the future holds. I think this was the best move today for the majority of ACC schools, including - most importantly - Wake joined by 11 others.

But your certainty combined with incoherence is definitely not compelling!

U
Why do you think the Big 10 and SEC have bigger tv deals?
Ummm ... Huge schools, lots of eyeballs, long rivalries, sustained football success beyond one or two teams.

(The ACC should have snapped their fingers and fixed that gap long ago...)

The ACC is the last buzzard to the carcass. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington and Oregon were all better fixes to the one problem we have (football) than these three. We could have had any of those teams and yet we get a death penalty team, the only public school in the world that doesn't care about football and the Alabama of sports that don't make any money. We're the last ones to the lunch room on pizza day. Enjoy the gluten free veggie toast, everybody.
Then those dumbasses in Chapel Hill shouldn’t have gotten in the way of expanding sooner.

UNC doesn't want to leave the ACC. They want to fix it.

UNC has run roughshod over the ACC since its inception. Their honesty about their intentions is best illustrated by the academic integrity demonstrated by their athletic department over the years. That's the "Carolina Way". For the first time I can recall, the ACC told UNC "no", we will procede in a different direction and pursue a plan that benefits everyone in the conference. It is a refreshing and much needed change in attitude.

All UNC has ever cared about is UNC. Your willingness to provide a larger slice of the pie to FSU and Clemson is a thinly veiled attempt to grant UNC a larger piece as well. When the GoR expires UNC will be free to pursue a membership in the SEC or B1G. Until then, the Heels are just one of 18 conference members that agreed to that GoR.

I’m sure someone has said this, but are you slow? Who do you think the contraction would have been? This is possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen on these boards.

With respect, I actually think the worst take in boards history is his argument that for a few million dollars, Clemson and especially FSU would agree to extend the GOR that they so clearly hate. A take so ignorant, it can’t possibly be real.

I mean it has to be a joke. Right?

Answer my question. Who do you think would have been dropped with contraction?
I said the eight (minimum) largest fanbases would vote to dissolve and then reconstitute and reopen the bidding with the teams ESPN and Fox would want to pay for.
FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NCSU
Miami
Louisville
Ga Tech (revenue discount)
Pittsburgh (")
Syracuse (")
Maybe Duke (")

That's probably it. Wake could negotiate one of those four spots at a discount based in history. That group isn't going to lose any money not having to cut Boston college a full check.

UNC has run roughshod over the ACC since its inception. Their honesty about their intentions is best illustrated by the academic integrity demonstrated by their athletic department over the years. That's the "Carolina Way". For the first time I can recall, the ACC told UNC "no", we will procede in a different direction and pursue a plan that benefits everyone in the conference. It is a refreshing and much needed change in attitude.

All UNC has ever cared about is UNC. Your willingness to provide a larger slice of the pie to FSU and Clemson is a thinly veiled attempt to grant UNC a larger piece as well. When the GoR expires UNC will be free to pursue a membership in the SEC or B1G. Until then, the Heels are just one of 18 conference members that agreed to that GoR.
The whole "flagship university" thing has always irritated me; kind of like calling yourself a "boutique" law firm just b/c you say you are.

I said the eight (minimum) largest fanbases would vote to dissolve and then reconstitute and reopen the bidding with the teams ESPN and Fox would want to pay for.
FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NCSU
Miami
Louisville
Pittsburgh (")
Syracuse (")
Maybe Duke (")

That's probably it. Wake could negotiate one of those four spots at a discount based in history. That group isn't going to lose any money not having to cut Boston college a full check.
This isn’t happening. The Big 12 is full of these kinds of schools and has a worse deal than we do.

Wake just voted to kill the only league that will have them. It's weird having to argue with people who don't aspire to actually winning but instead prefer to lose slower. Have it your way, I guess.
Wake voted to ensure they have a seat at the adults table when the music stops. It may end up not being the cool adults table but I'd take this anyday than being relegated to the kids table

Wake voted to ensure they have a seat at the adults table when the music stops. It may end up not being the cool adults table but I'd take this anyday than being relegated to the kids table
Yeah don’t wanna have to sit with the losers like ECU, App, ODU, etc.

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NCSU
Miami
Louisville
Pittsburgh (")
Syracuse (")
Maybe Duke (")

Yeah, I can’t believe Wake didn’t pursue this. How could Wente not see that the best path for Wake was to get dropped from the league and then try to beg our way back in like SMU? This is worse than Hatch fucking Shaka.

Yeah, I can’t believe Wake didn’t pursue this. How could Wente not see that the best path for Wake was to get dropped from the league and then try to beg our way back in like SMU? This is worse than Hatch fucking Shaka.
Instead of being on equal footing for the next decade, Wake could have taken much less for a lot longer. You gotta make that deal, don't you?

Instead of being on equal footing for the next decade, Wake could have taken much less for a lot longer. You gotta make that deal, don't you?
Right. If you have a 1.0 probability of getting $40m per year for the next 10 years vs an unknown probability of getting an unknown but lesser amount of money for an unknown length of time the math is pretty obvious. Bottom line, Wente fucked an unknown future AD, an unknown number of times, in an unspecified orifice.

That’s the thing he isn’t a troll he is actually just that fucking dumb while believing he is that smart, it’s been his boards persona since it’s inception. For example believing that all of the people in the ACC and all those involved at Wake didn’t explore every possible option and went with the one that assures Wake the best path moving forward instead of going with some plan concocted in the UNC tainted thing he calls a brain.

Change of pace needed. Feel free to discuss how basketball may be affected. Excerpt from SI:

Stanford, Cal and SMU have combined to win zero men’s NCAA tournament games since the start of the 2014–15 season and have made three combined appearances in the Big Dance in that stretch. SMU hasn’t advanced in March Madness in more than three decades. Cal’s history is similarly bleak; its last trip to the NCAA tournament’s second weekend more than 25 years in the rearview mirror. Stanford has some degree of tradition but at present is so handicapped by academic requirements that winning like it did under Mike Montgomery seems close to impossible.

The ACC is also a league of iconic venues and fan bases: from Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke to the “Dean Dome” in Chapel Hill to the Carrier (now JMA Wireless) Dome in Syracuse. Stanford, Cal and SMU each averaged fewer than 4,000 fans per game last season, with Cal’s attendance at a measly 2,155 per game (albeit for a 3–29 team).

Back