• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

To be clear, I hate them both and blame them both. Plenty of room in my heart to despise both of them. I’m still pissed they took Maryland- a team I actually cared to watch. Plus they’ll probably take UNC and FSU if they go. I just singled in on the SEC for last night’s purposes.
But what? We raided the Big East years ago and took Syracuse, BC, Miami, Pitt & VT.

regarding the SWC....I've read recently that SMU was pissed and frankly shocked that the Big 8 (12) took Baylor as the 4th Texas school instead of SMU, leaving SMU even more in the wilderness after the death penalty and now without a major conference home. That was the start of their journey and the major goal of their rich boosters was to get into a major conference. We obviously know how that story finally ended.
I would love to see a 30 for 30 or Netflix Documentary on the demise of the SWC. Similar to Requiem for the Big East.

But we love our 1955 baseball natty, right

But that has nothing to do with our recent success or our conference future. Just like Maryland’s ancient football championship had nothing to do with the Big 10 taking them.

Lil, sorry I wasn't clear. I agree that Maryland (traitors) being offered to join the Bwhatever had nothing to do with Maryland's sports performance. I was just objecting to Mersk's characterization of national championships in football and basketball (this millenium) as "nothing special".

for a wake fan reff sure takes a lot of joy in dragging wake.
Anyone that frequently and openly supports another university’s athletic teams on OGBoards is a fan of that team primarily and Wake secondarily (if at all).

There’d be a lot less obnoxious arguments here if we all just thought of Biff as a UGA fan, Reff as a SCar fan, and DR as a Duke or ticket scalping or whatever fan.

for a wake fan reff sure takes a lot of joy in dragging wake.
He’s just a contrarian whose son attended South Carolina. Not sure why his son chose that school. I guess because of its tier 1 business school.

regarding the SWC....I've read recently that SMU was pissed and frankly shocked that the Big 8 (12) took Baylor as the 4th Texas school instead of SMU, leaving SMU even more in the wilderness after the death penalty and now without a major conference home. That was the start of their journey and the major goal of their rich boosters was to get into a major conference. We obviously know how that story finally ended.

Revisionist history. SMU was still terrible when the Big 12 formed, and would remain so for several more years. If they had any advantage over UH, it would've been that the Texas powers-that-be look down on UH and not so much on SMU. But UH was still a much more attractive option then. Fortunately for BU and TT, they had friends in high places.

Boys, boys, boys. I see how these posts get out of line. I've been guilty myself. But we are all, I hope, Wake fans. We snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that is our lot. Never the less we cling to hope.

Our only hope of remaining a sports player in the big leagues was that the ACC didn't throw us to the curb. Jim Ryan at UVA had our back, according to people I think are reliable. We don't bring anything to the table (small fan base, small TV market, etc.), so we needed a big time guy to say. "Wake stays." Ryan did, at least from what I hear. Good man, in my humble opinion.

Anyone that frequently and openly supports another university’s athletic teams on OGBoards is a fan of that team primarily and Wake secondarily (if at all).

There’d be a lot less obnoxious arguments here if we all just thought of Biff as a UGA fan, Reff as a SCar fan, and DR as a Duke or ticket scalping or whatever fan.
Grew up in TN going to many games in Neyland. An SEC fan since birth. Lived in Columbia, MO in mid to late 60’s when Dan Devine was Mizzou coach & they were Top 10. Moved to Charlottesville and started going to UVa games when Blackburn was coach and they were woeful till Welsh got there (now woeful again). Son went to SC when Spurrier was coach, they had Clowney & Lattimore and had 3 straight ten win seasons. Plus 2 baseball nattys. I came to Wake in 74 when we had Rod Griffin & Skip Brown and we’re pretty good but football won 10 games our 4 years.
I can call them like I see them and still be a Wake Forest fan without your gold colored glasses that see no faults. I still know SEC football & baseball is the best. Right now we are sitting in great shape with all our coaches & facilities!

Back