• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I guess they will need to figure out all of this partnering/scheduling soon since the new teams join for the 24/25 year and the ACC football schedule is usually released sometime in January.

Sounds like they’ll need to shed some games on their current schedule

The interesting part will be how the Army/Navy Game is handled. AAC Championship game is usually first weekend in December and Army/Navy is second weekend. I assume that has been addressed and handled.

ETA: Word is Army/Navy would continue to be played second week of December as a non-conf game. But theoretically they could meet the prior week in the championship game

That suggests Army/Navy won’t be a conference game or they’re allowing for example a 6-1 Army to get in over a 6-2 UAB. Either Army goes from 10 slots to 2 or 3 every year.

We need to pick up a home game and Ball State, UCONN, UNLV, and UMass are the FBS programs not in the AAC on Army’s 2024 schedule.

How about picking up a road game at UNLV? I'm in for that.

ACC is going to fuck around and end up with Tulsa and Tulane instead of WSU and OSU, which are much better than any other options.

The cat is out of the bag. We have west coast teams. Adding 2 more would make it less weird- not more, and would help with scheduling, etc.

And before I get inundated with "it's all about the MONNNEEEYYYYYYYYYY," then the ACC should stop exploring further expansion. Because other than maybe squeezing some less desirable new members for all or part of their early money in some doomed effort to placate FSU, etc., those two schools make way more sense than any others I've seen mentioned.

The ACC being so incredibly reactive to all of this is what got us into this mess. Let's take a shot, and not just hope shit works out.

I can only hope that the "2-Pac" is a negotiating tool by OSU and WSU to show they're not taking the SMU deal to join the ACC.

The ACC should give OSU and WSU a good deal if they can bring the Rose Bowl with them. What is the Rose Bowl's plan? ACC vs. Big Ten seems as good as any.

I can only hope that the "2-Pac" is a negotiating tool by OSU and WSU to show they're not taking the SMU deal to join the ACC.

The ACC should give OSU and WSU a good deal if they can bring the Rose Bowl with them. What is the Rose Bowl's plan? ACC vs. Big Ten seems as good as any.
Very interesting thoughts.

In the new CFP 12-team model, the Rose Bowl will be a semi-final 2 out of 6 years, and a quarterfinal game the remaining 4 years, so they don't really need a league to replace the Pac-12 going forward.

Are the other major bowls ditching their bowls completely for a CFP spot?

I read previously that by preserving the conference, OSU and WSU will receive the PAC 12’s basketball tournament revenue from the last 6 years, over a six year horizon. Looks like $17.5 million in 2025, maybe $14 million in each of 2026 and 2027, then tapering down to maybe $3.5 million in 2030.

How would OSU and WSU be able to bring the Rose Bowl?

How would OSU and WSU be able to bring the Rose Bowl?

I hadn’t heard that the Rose Bowl was ditching their bowl for the CFP. I assumed the major bowls would still do both.

Back