• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

NCState and North Carolina A & T are the official land grant universities in North Carolina. VaTech and Virgimia State are the official Land Grant institutions in Virginia. Auburn and Alabama A&M are the Land Grant institutions in the state of Alabama.

Fixed it.

Last edited:
NCState and North Carolina A & M are the official land grant universities in North Carolina. VaTech and Virgimia State are the official Land Grant institutions in Virginia. Auburn and Alabama A&M are the Land Grant institutions in the state of Alabama.

What’s North Carolina A&M?

I can see SMU competing well in the ACC and becoming 1 of the top teams year in and out. This should really help their recruiting.
They will be a top 4 team in the conference- perfect type of program to blossom in new portal/NIL era

Wow. I know it changes next year Today could be the biggest proof ever that fsu clemson etc need to leave the acc. Undefeated champ getting left out. Conference is just not respected in football.

Wow. I know it changes next year Today could be the biggest proof ever that fsu clemson etc need to leave the acc. Undefeated champ getting left out. Conference is just not respected in football.

Yep- we really needed FSU to win national title this year to help conference. Doesn't help that Clemson isn't typical Clemson of years past and Miami for whatever reason can't get it together. As much as I hate them, it also doesn't help that Tarholes did their usual late season fold. NC State doesn't have the national clout to give league credibility. Virginia Tech is another one that has completely gone off rails post Beamer- I don't see them coming back in this new era of college football- Wake might be better positioned to deal with portal, NIL, etc.

think this only increases FSU's appetite to leave the ACC...If they go undefeated and still don't make playoffs then first they blame the committee and then they blame the ACC.

They will still try, but there isn’t a way out. And it’s a catch-22 in that they likely wouldn’t be undefeated in another conference this year. They would have at least lost the conference championship in the SEC without Travis. Not that I think the Big 10 or SEC are good. They are not. But they do have a decent top 2-3 that we didn’t have this year, even if the ACC depth blew them out of the water.

Yeah but if this was a 12 team playoff FSU's seed would have dropped to 7 or 8 and they'd be playing at Missouri or Ole Miss in round one

They will still try, but there isn’t a way out. And it’s a catch-22 in that they likely wouldn’t be undefeated in another conference this year. They would have at least lost the conference championship in the SEC without Travis. Not that I think the Big 10 or SEC are good. They are not. But they do have a decent top 2-3 that we didn’t have this year, even if the ACC depth blew them out of the water.

Yeah let’s assume in the 12 team playoff - that 4 SEC teams get in, 4 Big Ten teams, ACC champ, Big 12 champ, one G5, and one more at large team. Who would they beat out in SEC to get in during a typical year? Don’t see them beating out Bama, Georgia, and Texas and one of A&M, LSU, OU, Florida, Tennessee is going to be stronger typically. And this is with a healthy Jordan Travis.

Agreed. Although does making the playoff / winning the natty move the needle as much as TV revenue? FSU fans won't ever forget this, but the real driver thus far has been money. Making the playoff / natty title game / winning - that's just a one time infusion of money.

So much of that was the ACC not pushing back when the story started getting spread years ago and then not expanding in a way that was sports focused. We want to be the magnolia league with big sports, but that doesn't work.

Back