• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

100%. Wake playing P5 sports at its size with its academics is the only differentiating factor from Wake and a zillion other small liberal arts colleges.

Don’t disagree and the decision to join ACC was one of the best decisions ever made by the University. You take away ACC- and Wake is like Richmond, Furman, Wofford, Elon, High Point, W&L, Davidson. Yeah I know we have med school.

I would argue we have much more in common with those schools anyways than Vandy, Duke, NW, Baylor, BC, Cuse, TCU, Stanford, SMU, and ND. That second group has either the endowment, in a huge metro area, bigger enrollment, national academic prestige, research, or national brand due to sports we don’t have.

I don’t know anyone from UVA who even knows when bball and football games are happening, let alone watches them on TV.
But I do, so this is an anecdotal generalization. Particularly for bball.
Agreed. My wife went to UVA so we go back occasionally. There is never anyone at football games, even that year they won the Coastal.
I'm just surprised you say this - there are definitely people at the games. It's certainly not a rabid fanbase, but it's not a dead one.

I would think Gilliam family as well. They gave so much an entire university was renamed...I.e.College at Wise became UVA-Wise

"The Fralins’ commitment and matching funds will create a permanent endowment of $7.5 million to provide ongoing support for the football program. The Cavaliers are in their fifth year under Bronco Mendenhall, whose position will be named the The Fralin Family Head Football Coach...

Heywood Fralin has had a long and active relationship with UVA since his graduation in 1962. He has served on the Board of Visitors, as rector and vice rector, and is a current member of the Virginia Athletics Foundation Board of Trustees. He has supported many initiatives at the University and within UVA Athletics, including investments in Scott Stadium, John Paul Jones Arena, scholarships and operational budget enhancements for football and men’s basketball."

Don’t disagree and the decision to join ACC was one of the best decisions ever made by the University. You take away ACC- and Wake is like Richmond, Furman, Wofford, Elon, High Point, W&L, Davidson. Yeah I know we have med school.

I would argue we have much more in common with those schools anyways than Vandy, Duke, NW, Baylor, BC, Cuse, TCU, Stanford, SMU, and ND. That second group has either the endowment, in a huge metro area, bigger enrollment, national academic prestige, research, or national brand due to sports we don’t have.
I was with you until saying we have more in common with schools like Wofford or Furman. I guarantee you most students in the NE or West Coast looking at Wake have never even heard of those schools. If we turn into a High Point, no offense, but someone will really have fucked up.

I was with you until saying we have more in common with schools like Wofford or Furman. I guarantee you most students in the NE or West Coast looking at Wake have never even heard of those schools. If we turn into a High Point, no offense, but someone will really have fucked up.
Sports do bring a lot of name recognition. For instance, Emory and Duke are fairly equivalent schools but most people know Duke. Many people do not know Emory.

But I do, so this is an anecdotal generalization. Particularly for bball.

I'm just surprised you say this - there are definitely people at the games. It's certainly not a rabid fanbase, but it's not a dead one.
I wonder what the age range is for people that care. I know that is true about everywhere but the only folks I know that care about UVA sports are 50+.

Sports do bring a lot of name recognition. For instance, Emory and Duke are fairly equivalent schools but most people know Duke. Many people do not know Emory.
Agreed, and confirmed specifically during the Duncan years.
I would also agree that Emory is as you say fairly equivalent to Duke notwithstanding its lack of sports name.

:facepalm:

Why don't we just go whole hog and just drop to FCS. Maybe we can compete against NC A&T, Elon, Davidson, North Dakota State and Montana. :rolleyes:

Anyone suggesting we drop out or stop trying to compete against the big schools is insane. You don't get better by lowering the level of your competition. It doesn't look more impressive to start winning championships against also-rans or floormats. It just furthers the reputation of being a fake or wannabe team that the other teams place on us. We need to ALWAYS strive to beat the best. There are examples out there of schools that worked their way up into consistently successful programs (hint: successful doesn't have to mean CONSTANT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDING), and they didn't have to stop playing the big guys to do it.

We can and will get there as long as we continue putting forth the effort.
I'd have no problem competing with Davidson if it comes down to it, as I think their academic/athletic mission is closer to ours than say FSU's. I totally believe that at some point athletics will be totally removed from academics, and players will be paid a salary and have the option to go to school or just represent the school, similar to a pro player does a city's team. And no we're not there yet and yes we need to continue playing the "game" to try and stay with the big boys as I said earlier, but i also said with our limited leverage that I'd rather the whole thing just go ahead and blow up and we get a thumbs up/thumbs down vs. this steady drip/drip between now and 2036.

I encourage everyone bored and with a X account to troll FSU fans. Cal, SMU, Stanford, BC, State, and Wake fans have united in the last few days to put FSU in their place.
I like Cal and Stanford already based on what I’ve seen on Twitter

One sports columnist in Florida knows that FSU is responsible for its own fate:

…In 1990, with the SEC and ACC both trying to expand, FSU reportedly turned down an invitation to join the SEC and instead signed with the ACC. Legendary FSU coach Bobby Bowden, at the time, admitted he wanted an easier path to the national championship. In fact, he compared the competition in the ACC to the bums that aging, overweight George Foreman was beating up at the time in his quest to regain the heavyweight championship.

I’m like George Foreman,” Bowden said then. “I like to pick those unranked guys out and fight ’em. Ol’ George is out there knocking out these no-names, but he’ll be fighting for the heavyweight championship directly. Everybody just assumed ol’ Bobby was raised in the heart of the SEC, so naturally, he’s going to want to jump right in. Maybe I know too much about the SEC to want to join up.”

When the Seminoles joined the ACC, they went undefeated in their first 29 league games and won conference championships nine times from 1992 to 2000. In its first 10 years in the ACC, FSU breezed through the league, played for five national championships, and won two.

Nobody forced the Florida State Seminoles to join the ACC 33 years ago.

They did so willingly — and it paid off.

Nobody forced the Florida State Seminoles to re-up with the ACC in 2016 and sign a long-term GOR agreement.

They did so willingly — and now it’s not paying off.

Own your decisions.

Case closed.

Court adjourned.

One sports columnist in Florida knows that FSU is responsible for its own fate:

Let’s not act like the SEC was some powerhouse at that time either though. And GT was the national champ in 1990.

Possibly the biggest winner in all this so far has been SMU. If there is a separation/contraction of "big boy" football schools, that will likely not include any G5 schools, and the ACC just gave SMU a shot at jumping longtime P5's like Wake, Vandy, 'Cuse and BC in the pecking order.

Intersting article about the impact Furman's NCAA first round upset of Virginia.

Don't worry guys, BeachBumDeac is notorious for being judgmental of how others live their lives and what they prioritize or focus on.

But I'm with you guys on being worried about what might happen. It won't happen now, but it will happen at some point.

I think the FBS will eventually settle with some sort of split grouping of 48-64 teams and the rest will form a lower league, ending with the "Premier" league, then FBS, then FCS. It'll be 4-8 groups or conferences of the biggest schools. They'll compete for something like a 16 team playoff and take the largest bowl games/names with them. The lower league will then be full of the Duke's Mayo, Fred's Tool & Tire, and Jimbo's Fish Fry bowls, etc.

I think we will more than likely NOT be a part of the premier league, unless someone brings us along as part of their contract (unlikely) but unlike others, I'm not wishing for that or hoping for that just so we can hang some banners or claim some trophies against Cincinnati, Baylor, Rutgers and the like.

However, I don't think it settles to that until 2030 or later. Once the big moves have completed and teams get used to who they are playing and how they match up.

I also don't think that just because it is inevitable, that we should just give up.
Wouldn’t be surprised when some of these bowl contracts start coming up if some don’t start drying up. Can’t imagine sponsors can be happy with opt outs & portals not playing and teams are former shell of themselves! Alumni aren’t happy and aren’t buying tickets to go so why would sponsors keep ponying up. Make teams at least have winning records at 7-5 to be eligible.

Isn’t bowl economics more about getting time on ESPN where these games still get good ratings?
That is what I've heard as well. As long as the sponsors and TV kick in enough money, bowls will continue. The potential problem is with ESPN cutting spending in.many areas. At what point does this start hitting bowl payouts?

Back