• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

There are no other situations like the Big 4. Maybe Stanford, cal, and UCLA is the closest. The relationship between UNC and the other three (Wake is obviously the least important) creates a very difficult situation for UNC to bolt in my opinion. UNC’s relationship with UVA is also an interesting factor in all of this. I never sympathize with UNC but damn they are in a very complicated spot here. And they know it.
No offense, but nobody outside the Big Four cares about the Big Four, and UNC isn't going to give a rat's ass about it once they find a bigger conference and bigger TV payout. The Big Four will not factor into their decision-making calculus at all.

atvthe end of the day, i don't see UNC whoring themselves out.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

No offense, but nobody outside the Big Four cares about the Big Four, and UNC isn't going to give a rat's ass about it once they find a bigger conference and bigger TV payout. The Big Four will not factor into their decision-making calculus at all.
you don't think traditional regional rivalries mean anything? it's the basis of college sports.

you don't think traditional regional rivalries mean anything? it's the basis of college sports.

College sports as we grew up with it doesn't exist anymore. So, while I think rivalries matter, I think they matter very little compared to the economic influence of $$$ and the psychological influence of getting left out of the new order.

Don’t forget that school presidents are making these decisions for the most part. They care more about academics than sports. If you think UNC/UVA presidents would rather be with Alabama and Ole Miss then you’re massively misinformed.

The dumbest thing to me is that this will basically be a minor league football situation. We’ve already had that in multiple forms and it always fails, even with those being more competitive than this college football experiment will be. Enjoy the USFL/XFL merger for this one season while it lasts.

University Presidents for State Schools understand that they are tied at some level to state funding and that means doing popular stuff. No political appointee to a board of regents got popular for funding the English Department, but they would get kudos for finding a way to help have a strong athletic program. And if that kudo turns into funding help for an actual academic program, great. The state school presidents are as much unelected politicians as the head of any other government agency.

Maybe you are right but state, duke, and wake care about it and there will be a ton of pressure on UNC nor to screw the other three (again, I realize wake is the least important)

Maybe you are right but state, duke, and wake care about it and there will be a ton of pressure on UNC nor to screw the other three (again, I realize wake is the least important)
Cal, Stanford, and UCLA probably cared about it too but USC made the decision. I still don’t think UNC is leaving though.

Last edited:
Stealthy Commish Phillips working quietly behind the scenes to bring in ND all-in with football and to give a big middle finger to the sec and big20.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Stealthy Commish Phillips working quietly behind the scenes to bring in ND all-in with football and to give a big middle finger to the sec and big20.

Inquiring minds want to know!
I think there is a better chance that he is working as an undercover agent for the Big 10 to tank the ACC.

dixie, you really think the people who used "The Alliance" to poach four Pac-12 teams would plant an undercover agent to tank the ACC?

UNC is absolutely going to leave. If they have a choice to enhance themselves or a choice to stay together and thereby help the other 3 NC schools, what do you think they are going to do? They have never cared about anything other than themselves.

When the holes whore themselves out for the privilege to go to Piscataway in football and hoops just know that we'll all say "we told you so."

UNC is absolutely going to leave. If they have a choice to enhance themselves or a choice to stay together and thereby help the other 3 NC schools, what do you think they are going to do? They have never cared about anything other than themselves.
They’ve never cared about anything other than being in charge. If they leave the ACC they will no longer call all of the shots.

Back