• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

The Drive ‏@thedrivenc
RT @KevinNathanNBC: Sources tell me 4 ACC schools gave UConn support: Wake Forest, Duke, North Carolina and Virginia.

NCSU was all like "we ain't having any more dogs up in here!"

The Drive ‏@thedrivenc
RT @KevinNathanNBC: Sources tell me 4 ACC schools gave UConn support: Wake Forest, Duke, North Carolina and Virginia.

Shocker that the best academic schools in the conference (although I am not sure of BC's rank) would support UCONN over UL.

Shocker that the best academic schools in the conference (although I am not sure of BC's rank) would support UCONN over UL.

Did they support UConn over UL or were they the only schools that would support UConn's entry into the conference? Reports indicating that taking more than one school was on the table....

It says they supported UConn but not necessarily that they didn't support Louisville.

Louisville was unanimous, no? So this is just saying we were also for them if there could have been agreement reached on them I presume.

Excited about adding Louisville. Gets us into one of the few state's that love basketball first.

Greg Swaim reporting that another ACC school will announce for B1G in next 7-10 days. GT seems to be most likely at this point if he's correct, but they don't border current state. I don't know if I believe this, but this could be a big domino.

Makes sense that Tech would wait until after the ACCCG. That's $100M.

Not saying that the rumor is right or wrong, but while doing research on Greg Swaim, I came across this article he wrote in September of last year.

Late Sunday night we received word from a trusted source in the midwest that Louisville received an offer from the Big 12 on Friday afternoon. Wrong And while the Cardinals are the only program we know for sure has an offer, we know there have been informal talks with BYU and Cincinnati as well, and offers could be coming their way, if they haven’t already. Maybe talks, wrong about the offers coming

Of course there has also been rampant speculation from the Kansas City Star that Missouri is still very interested in the SEC, but sources who cover that conference tell us that there has been no formal offer made to the Tigers, and most don’t believe an offer will be extented. Wrong Many of those sources also feel that Missouri may be using this talk as leverage to get what they want in upcoming Big 12 negotiations. Wrong

If Mizzou were to stay, and the conference picked up three more they’d be back to the twelve teams they were at last year, and from what we’re hearing the conference presidents really want to be at twelve by the 2013-14 season. Wrong; pretty much impossible at this point.

It’s doubtful that Louisville, Cincinnati, BYU, or any other major conference member could be a part of conference play next year, but until the new BCS and TV contracts come up in a few years, that doesn;t seem like a crucial point.

West Virginia is another school on the radar, Finally got something right but apparently Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor have balked at bringing in any other Texas schools, such as TCU, Wrong and despite reports that Boise State is interested, we can’t yet find any credible sources who’ve been able to link Boise with the Big 12.Right

Not an impressive batting percentage.

Not saying that the rumor is right or wrong, but while doing research on Greg Swaim, I came across this article he wrote in September of last year.

Not an impressive batting percentage.

Yeah, I agree and that's why I said I don't know if I really believe this. According to B1G bylaws, they couldn't invite GT at this time, but I imagine those would be pretty easy to change. I know UVA and UNC both had some discussions with B1G and SEC over past week, but I don't feel like either are ready to move at this point. I just don't think UVA or UNC will be next domino and they seem to be package deal. I know both conferences want them bad, so I have a hard time believing B1G would invite GT at this point with those two still options down the road, unless they ultimately plan to expand to 18.

From a tweet by Louisville columnist:

@CardChronicle: Louisville will now play Florida State, Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest, Boston College and Syracuse in football every year.

Wanted to add this HuffPo post from a UofL alumni who is thrilled with Louisville's addition: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/louisville-boost_b_2205506.html

U of L is one of the oldest colleges in the country, founded (after a fashion) in 1798, but for most of its life it was a modest commuter school with a ramshackle campus wedged between railroad tracks and a grain elevator.

There is still a long way to go, for sure. But this is one of those rare cases in which athletic prominence can help push a university toward true excellence. The president of the school, Dr. James Ramsey, thinks that way, I know, and so do civic and political leaders.

The grain elevator is still there.

As a recent transplant to Louisville, I couldn't be happier. Because there's no pro sports in Kentucky, all people talk about is college sports. You'll have your fair share of jorts and fights at dialysis clinics (this is Kentucky after all), but the city of Louisville itself is a fun place to visit.

Greg Swaim got that information about GT from the Dude. If anyone paid any attention over the summer, those two have no credibility. They make stuff up all the time and use each other for confirmation. Anything that comes from either one is less than worthless.

Getting ready to move to Louisville next month. I'm obviously thrilled they are joining the ACC. Feel like I'm taking some "home" with me. :)

This rumor seems to have legs. Swaim was first place I read it, but now I'm hearing GT to B1G from more people I trust and FSU to Big 12 is also going around. If those two happened then UVA and UNC would bolt and the conference as we know it would be dead.

I think FSU stays put to see what fleshes out with Notre Dame and the Maryland buyout. In fact I don't see how any team jumps ship until the Maryland lawsuit/exit fee issue is settled.

Back