• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Anyone care to fill me in as to the general consensus of schools #15 and 16?. I haven't read the whole thread but I assume these are some of the options:

UConn: Seems like they very much want in? Great basketball, respectable football, Geographically it makes enough sense. Whats the downside here? Just general hatred of Calhoun?

Texas: REALLY far away. Great football and basketball school. Might overshadow the rest of the conference?

Rutgers: Rutgers sucks please don't let them in. Can someone please explain to me the upside here?

Villanova: Great school, great basketball, great location, no football. I really wish this could work but it seems impossible.

West Virginia: Rivalry with Pitt, good sports, not the best academics, Generally a horrible reputation just because they are from West Virginia. Pitsnoggle.

Georgetown: Again the football problem, and setting up shop right in Maryland's backyard. Again, like Nova, I wish this could work but it really seems implausible.

ECU: Please god no. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ya ready to make NCSU look like Harvard?

Notre Dame: Long way away. Gives them a Basketball home as the Big East dissolves and offers them a more realistic path to a BCS game in football every year. The CBS contract probably sits in the way. It seems like they are losing too much prestige at too quick a rate to stay independent forever. This might be a good fit.

Providence: Doesn't bring enough to the table?

Am I missing something/someone? This is all conjecture, but I'd appreciate an update from someone with a better idea of what the Wake community thinks.

The NY market may not be as much as some believe for college sports, but the idea that a conference would not want to be active in it is, well, nuts. Of course you want in. It's the country's largest market, by a wide margin, meaning it has the highest potential for explosive growth. It's one thing to have right-sized expectations for the NY market, but it's quite another to be dismissive about it. if the ACC becomes the premier basketball conference, spreading that interest to the northeast from it's power-base in NC (and, presumably UCONN), you could be talking about a market ready to explode. I'd take that over West freaking Virginia -- or another Florida school when the conference already has two -- any day of the week. yes you take ND or Texas first. But when those options wink out (and they will) you take the northeast as quickly as you can get your hands on it.

What you want in NY is good games.

But college football is not a big draw in NYC. Through the first half of the NCAA football season it goes like this:

Yankees
Mets
Giants/Jets
Jets/Giants
Horse racing
Maybe college football

Conferences will make their money in NYC on college basketball.

I see nothing in there that changes the calculus of the ACC wanting into that market, should TX and ND fall through. Being smaller time in the NY market is still a larger raw number than being big time almost anywhere else. And the ACC is more than happy to steal the hoops cache/money. ACC Finals in the Garden? Sound better than Greensboro?

Which is what I was saying. Getting into NYC is about basketball not football.

I'm discussing the best interest of the conference, period. I see benefits to both revenue sports, but, yes, NYC would be bigger on the hoops side. And I miss the ACC being the number one hoops conference.

Anyone care to fill me in as to the general consensus of schools #15 and 16?. I haven't read the whole thread but I assume these are some of the options:

UConn: Seems like they very much want in? Great basketball, respectable football, Geographically it makes enough sense. Whats the downside here? Just general hatred of Calhoun?

Texas: REALLY far away. Great football and basketball school. Might overshadow the rest of the conference?

Rutgers: Rutgers sucks please don't let them in. Can someone please explain to me the upside here?

Villanova: Great school, great basketball, great location, no football. I really wish this could work but it seems impossible.

West Virginia: Rivalry with Pitt, good sports, not the best academics, Generally a horrible reputation just because they are from West Virginia. Pitsnoggle.

Georgetown: Again the football problem, and setting up shop right in Maryland's backyard. Again, like Nova, I wish this could work but it really seems implausible.

ECU: Please god no. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ya ready to make NCSU look like Harvard?

Notre Dame: Long way away. Gives them a Basketball home as the Big East dissolves and offers them a more realistic path to a BCS game in football every year. The CBS contract probably sits in the way. It seems like they are losing too much prestige at too quick a rate to stay independent forever. This might be a good fit.

Providence: Doesn't bring enough to the table?

Am I missing something/someone? This is all conjecture, but I'd appreciate an update from someone with a better idea of what the Wake community thinks.

Looking at that list, we can eliminate all schools without 1A football, despite how much I'd like Nova to work. We can eliminate ECU, 'cause that is never happening. Texas is a no go also, at this point. That leaves UCONN (almost assured at this point), Rutgers, WVU, and ND. While ND would be the best option, it also looks like the least likely. Between Rutgers and WVU, I'd rather have Rutgers. I don't think that Rutgers is a great option, but i don't see a better one that is feasible either.

Navy would also be good, but I would think it is unlikely. Funny, because it would be a nice added boost financially for them, but I doubt anyone would pick up Army (Air Force would have a chance if there are five major conferences left instead of four) so that probably wouldn't work.

Id bet Navy could bring their bball program up to speed much faster than nova could bring up their football program. You have to respect Navy's national following and Annapolis is a nice place to play.

I also wonder how much success in other sports plays into these decisions if at all. Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Womens bball, LACROSSE?

Navy doesn't want to play the meatgrinder ACC football schedule I bet. They like it where a Wake is their 3rd or 4th hardest game. Where when we play Navy, it is usually or 3rd or 4th easiest game.

They are happy getting their 7 or 8 wins every year and going bowling.

I am hearing Penn State is a legitimate possibility and discussions have been on going.

I'm discussing the best interest of the conference, period. I see benefits to both revenue sports, but, yes, NYC would be bigger on the hoops side. And I miss the ACC being the number one hoops conference.

Cuse and Pitt coming over may have switched the balance of power already.

Given the really bad ratings for college football (and even worse for this group of teams vs. SEC/PAC`16, etc.), I don't really see the revenue benefits for football.

Well unless we get ND. I definitely dispute the chart that says Rutgers has more NY area fans than ND.

I am hearing Penn State is a legitimate possibility and discussions have been on going.

This would also be great, but I really doubt Penn State will leave the Big Whatever. I can't think of any way in which the ACC would be better for Penn State.

Penn State should be one of the new members. They are basically now surrounded by ACC schools. JoePa wanted to join 15-ish years ago. They are a better academic school than some of the other options.

Notre Dame ought to really consider it as well... if they don't man-up, then I suppose UConn will always be ready to roll.

This would also be great, but I really doubt Penn State will leave the Big Whatever. I can't think of any way in which the ACC would be better for Penn State.

If it's Penn State and ND, there could be a lot of ways it would be better.

Back