• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congrats to Grobe and Lobo

Being a Wake fan these days pretty much sucks.

I'm impressed you guys still care as much as you do. I used to care. Used to watch football and basketball games and experience emotions. Those days are gone. I put these games on the tv ("watch" is too strong since mostly I'm surfing the net or whatever) and I might as well be observing 2 random teams. I just flat out don't care at all. If not for being a participant of this board, I'd likely be totally out on Wake sports. This lifeless athletics program has killed my fandom.

In my mind, this is the most disappointing game of the Jim Grobe era. Not sure that a new OC is the answer. This is a letdown of biblical proportions.

I'm impressed you guys still care as much as you do. I used to care. Used to watch football and basketball games and experience emotions. Those days are gone. I put these games on the tv ("watch" is too strong since mostly I'm surfing the net or whatever) and I might as well be observing 2 random teams. I just flat out don't care at all. If not for being a participant of this board, I'd likely be totally out on Wake sports. This lifeless athletics program has killed my fandom.

This is me exactly.

Watching our 'excited O" players stare at the sideline for 22-23 seconds of the play clock, to run a play for loss yardage, all the while looking like they are watching a film on gastropod molluscs mating.....now seen it for 3-4 years.....

Especially when we are more than a td down and the clock is becoming a factor.

In my mind, this is the most disappointing game of the Jim Grobe era. Not sure that a new OC is the answer. This is a letdown of biblical proportions.

This was the most frustrated I've ever been watching a football game. It just didn't make any sense. We had so many opportunities to abort the option and try to win, but the coaching staff decided to give the game to BC.

I am afraid that this debacle is just confirmation of the talent gap. The biggest problem with our coaches is that they are not winning recruiting battles. The rest is desperation in the form of constantly changing schemes.

I am afraid that this debacle is just confirmation of the talent gap. The biggest problem with our coaches is that they are not winning recruiting battles. The rest is desperation in the form of constantly changing schemes.

Yes, that is the base problem. Disdain for, and inability to recruit. Wake encourages this mentality too.

I think the talent is there. Not across the board, but the coaches are failing to bring the best out of the players. It seems that we have missed on a lot of our offensive line recruits which has been very detrimental, but implementing an offensive scheme that keeps the ball out of our best player's hands is just wrong.

I wish I could be this detached. That would be awesome.

Watching our 'excited O" players stare at the sideline for 22-23 seconds of the play clock, to run a play for loss yardage, all the while looking like they are watching a film on gastropod molluscs mating.....now seen it for 3-4 years.....
Thats the time it takes for LOBO to figure out which damn play to call....

I wish I could be this detached. That would be awesome.

It was a slow process, but here I am. It helps that no one ever, EVER talks about Wake Forest basketball or football anymore. When we first started to suck, people would be like, "oh man, what's up with Wake this year?" Or after a loss they'd be like, "tough game for the Deacs." That would cause me to at least have to address the team and feel some embarrassment. Now we are completely off the radar, even in Raleigh. If you're not a pretty hardcore Wake person at this point, you're not giving a 2nd thought to Wake sports. The media doesn't cover us. The public doesn't care. We are invisible. Pretty easy to tune out given that reality.

"We have to have a better mentality when we're down there," Grobe said. "We're still not very good right now at making the decisions we need to make. I think we'll do a better of slimming the package down and not having as much thinking."

Has anyone seen this little gem from Grobe last night? Apparently we were just too creative on offense. I'm looking forward to taking more options out of the option.

ETA: Also, this really deserves its own thread, but couldn't be more upset with Grobe throwing Tanner under the bus. All this "we need to make better decisions" crap. GROBE, YOU NEED TO MAKE BETTER DECISIONS. You are wasting the best opportunity with have by not playing to the strengths of our senior quarterback. And while you put him in the worst possible scheme for success, you blame his decision making. You are an ass. I have lost all respect for you.

Last edited:

Is BC killing us in recruiting?

Our coaching staff had the summer plus two weeks of the regular season to get ready for a mediocre BC team and this is the result? Not faulting the defense, but the offense. Really?

Is BC killing us in recruiting?

I am not a recruiting wonk but we seem to be last in the conference each year. I just looked up recruiting on Yahoo and we were ranked #89 for 2014 class. BC was #28. I don't know how accurate this is, but it seems to directionally tell a story. I used to think that we were ranked poorly because our choice of redshirting players resulted in us signing fewer players each year.

Why is it that we consistently get one or two big time recruits (big time for WF) and they end up not playing bc they "don't develop"...Souza.. That's got to be coaching. And it happens in basketball more.

I don't care if Souza can't throw it. Either teach him to throw, or let him run the option offense. Not ride the bench as a WR

This is what our Coaching staff does to motivate the Offensive Line:

A weekly award board

BTGK3LdCEAIqeDb.jpg

Last edited:
Back