• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

lots of mobility (up and down) between tiers 2 and 3

oregon state has been really bad
Their 3-28 last year wasn't even their worst KP year under Tinkle. 233rd last year, but 264th in 2017.

That E8 two years ago may go down as one of the strangest in quite some time.

Butler making back to back championships games was absurd, Loyola and VCU making the FF also out there.

It’s possible (maybe likely) that Louisville is the worst major conference team in the last 20-25 years.
G'town is giving L'ville a run for its money. KP currently has L'ville at #275, just ahead of Western Illinois. G'town sits at #232, but they are dropping like a rock as they have lost their 4 Big East games, by 22 points per game. L'ville is at least keeping their losing margins closer to 10. Guess hiring former alum with an NBA background may not be the way to go.

Louisville is benefitting heavily in KP from historic anchoring and recruiting ratings. Their raw season numbers has them like bottom 30 in the country. They’re 339 of 363 in NET

Their 3-28 last year wasn't even their worst KP year under Tinkle. 233rd last year, but 264th in 2017.

Butler making back to back championships games was absurd, Loyola and VCU making the FF also out there.

agreed

it would be like if [Redacted] was around for 10 seasons at his normal pace, and had one random elite 8 sandwiched in the middle

at least Butler and VCU had elite coaching, that helps explain the deep tourney runs

they also had NBA players

oregon state had a shitty coach and no elite talent

Hinkle still has a job because when Tinkle took the Oregon State job in 2014, the Beavers had not made the NCAAT in 24 years. In year 2 (2016), Oregon State earned their first NCAAT bid since 1990; that was a big deal, which bought him some time.

After a horrid year in 2017, the Beavers were top 100ish 2018, 2019 and 2020 (remember Manning was the ONLY Power V coach fired after the 2020 season because everyone got a free pass after that first COVID year); so the Beavs were mediocre, but not horrible. Hinkle was on the hot seat in 2021, but the Beavers had one of the great seasons in school history and advanced to Elite 8. That bought him some cred, which Tinkle used up this past year.

Oregon State, although not as wretched as last year, are bad again in 2023. So, guessing Hinkle is probably at the end of his rope. Hinkle will almost certainly get fired after this season. Even so, he will have taken the Beavers to two NCAATs in nine seasons, which is better than the previous six coaches in Corvallis.

G'town is giving L'ville a run for its money. KP currently has L'ville at #275, just ahead of Western Illinois. G'town sits at #232, but they are dropping like a rock as they have lost their 4 Big East games, by 22 points per game. L'ville is at least keeping their losing margins closer to 10. Guess hiring former alum with an NBA background may not be the way to go.

It's fun to follow the narrative when these coaches are hired and suck.

In year 1, it is just because Kenny Payne inherited a mess. Which I can agree with, to a point. I remember how bad they were the 2nd half of last season.
Next year, they'll suck because they are too young and you don't really make a jump until year 3.
In year 3, there will be some other mitigating factor (an injury, a transfer, or a global pandemic) that clouds how shitty things really are.
In year 4, people might finally realize he sucks.

Where did wake come in year one of the Buzz? Has to be up there.

WF 2011: 8-24 (1-15) #259. So, slightly better than L'ville so far, but L'ville's ranking is still slightly propped up by priors.
I thought it was around there. If I remember sub 250 was lovingly referred to as the [Redacted] zone.

It's the baseball equivalent to the Mendoza Line, except it's 250+ instead of .200 and under.

remember Bz broke not just WF, but the ACC.

Before Bz, the record for worst KP performance by an ACC team in KP history (back to 2002) was UNC in 2002, at #137. From 2003-2010, no ACC team was worse than #110, and never were more than two ACC teams worse than #100.

Then Bz came along and introduced the concept of a truly horrible ACC team. Since then, at least one ACC team per year has been rated #150 or worse. Every single year.

remember Bz broke not just WF, but the ACC.

Before Bz, the record for worst KP performance by an ACC team in KP history (back to 2002) was UNC in 2002, at #137. From 2003-2010, no ACC team was worse than #110, and never were more than two ACC teams worse than #100.

Then Bz came along and introduced the concept of a truly horrible ACC team. Since then, at least one ACC team per year has been rated #150 or worse. Every single year.
We walked so Louisville could run

It's fun to follow the narrative when these coaches are hired and suck.

In year 1, it is just because Kenny Payne inherited a mess. Which I can agree with, to a point. I remember how bad they were the 2nd half of last season.
Next year, they'll suck because they are too young and you don't really make a jump until year 3.
In year 3, there will be some other mitigating factor (an injury, a transfer, or a global pandemic) that clouds how shitty things really are.
In year 4, people might finally realize he sucks.
I met some poor guy on elevator in the hotel at an AAU tournament last weekend with his son with Georgetown gear on- went there during the Iverson years, which he mentioned bc my son had on an Iverson jersey (husband is a Philly guy). I hate the Big East and even found myself sympathetically telling him they could find a Steve Forbes and turn it around.

Last edited:
Back