• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

No shit, dude. We know all of this and have been discussing it for weeks. Let us just be disappointed Wake fans.

Agree 100%. Nothing worse at this point than condescending fans of other teams like rambling red coming over here and lecturing us.

We had a great year but simply didn’t have that one metric to push us over. Beating Duke may have done it. On to the NIT and goodness from the transfer portal.

Regarding a potential NIT bid: Be nice, always be nice, and politely decline.

Regarding a potential NIT bid: Be nice, always be nice, and politely decline.

You’re a good poster, but I very much disagree with this. We haven’t played in March consistently for over a decade. If it takes the NIT and some pride swallowing to help get us back on track, so be it.

Really confused by those saying we should decline NIT bid. Who do you think we are? It’s not 1995 or 2005 anymore.

I don't think we should ever decline an NIT bid short of something morally outrageous-like 1972 Olympic basketball reffing level fuckery, or obvious fraud from the selection committee.

Why do people want to decline an NIT bid? We are exactly the type of team that will benefit from playing more. I know we are all disappointed but at the beginning of thebyear we would have all killed to be in the NIT

UVA won a National Championship in 2019, and they are playing in the NIT. Teams don’t decline NIT invites absent rare circumstances. Such a clueless take to suggest WF would or should decline. Competition is always a good thing.

And clearly we overrated ourselves. Just wish I knew this 4 days ago, wouldn't have had to go through all the stages of grief.

You’re a good poster, but I very much disagree with this. We haven’t played in March consistently for over a decade. If it takes the NIT and some pride swallowing to help get us back on track, so be it.

Thanks. To quote Dalton (Roadhouse) again, "opinions vary." Just my opinion, nothing more.

I just don't see any purpose in being in the top group of teams that didn't make the NCAA's.

I don't get all the "decline the Nit bid" talk. For the last 12 years now ,we would have killed for any post season play. Did everyone have their expectations get that lofty that fast? Forbes has done a great job so far and should be commended for having us in the conversation. Is he perfect on in game coaching? Not by far, be he's elite so far compared to the last 2 stiffs. And compared to most other Acc coaches at the moment. Give the man time he's already turned the corner and got us near top of the conference in year 2. The players seem to love playing for him and look to have great chemistry.
Yes its extremely disappointing to not make the dance after the amount of success this season, but sometimes the positives far outweigh the negatives. You take the chance to get more wins period, .

Our OOC schedule was super weak. However, I remember us struggling to beat some of those teams - coming from behind to beat VMI... Beating another crappy team in OT... I think the weak schedule was probably better for us this year - it gave us time to gel and gave us confidence. If we had played a strong schedule I think we would have gotten blown out by any good teams, which probably would have hurt our growth and team cohesion.

On the other hand, the committee seems to prefer teams that play better teams - even if you lose them... Who knows?

Time to gel and confidence seems nice, but it didn't help win key games down the stretch.

I’ve been a Wake Forest fan long enough that I’m not often surprised by opinions of our fan base about our sports teams, but I am surprised by the number of people who think Wake is too good for the NIT and the bid should be declined. That’s fucking nuts. Do they know anything about Wake basketball history?

Our OOC schedule was super weak. However, I remember us struggling to beat some of those teams - coming from behind to beat VMI... Beating another crappy team in OT... I think the weak schedule was probably better for us this year - it gave us time to gel and gave us confidence. If we had played a strong schedule I think we would have gotten blown out by any good teams, which probably would have hurt our growth and team cohesion.

On the other hand, the committee seems to prefer teams that play better teams - even if you lose them... Who knows?

Dayton had losses to UMass Lowell, Lipscomb, and Austin Peay, and they were officially the first team out of the tournament. Pretty clear that losses, even abominable losses, don’t matter anymore. Catch lightning in a bottle with a high profile upset or two* and punch your ticket.

*Extra credit if you are in the Big Ten!

I’ve been a Wake Forest fan long enough that I’m not often surprised by opinions of our fan base about our sports teams, but I am surprised by the number of people who think Wake is too good for the NIT and the bid should be declined. That’s fucking nuts. Do they know anything about Wake basketball history?

It’s just anger. We won 13 fucking ACC games and one loss (maybe 2) sent us from the 8-9 line to a 2 seed in the NIT. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong and it just feels like the curse of the nut punch will never go away.

Dayton had losses to UMass Lowell, Lipscomb, and Austin Peay, and they were officially the first team out of the tournament. Pretty clear that losses, even abominable losses, don’t matter anymore. Catch lightning in a bottle with a high profile upset or two* and punch your ticket.

*Extra credit if you are in the Big Ten!

So the lesson is to schedule tougher games to give your team more of a chance to pull off that high profile upset. That's a better deal for fans. It's better to get 19 wins against a tough schedule than 23 wins against a weak schedule.

Back