• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen how much stimulus is being created?

I don't understand why the markets don't understand that the stimulus is largely going to be paid back, either directly or indirectly

this isn't cash out of thin air

We are way past "containment" here and abroad. All we are doing is mitigating. Buying time. And testing will play a role.

Ongoing crude mitigation and its economic consequences will need to continue until we have effective and widely available treatments or , more likely, vaccines. Neither is going to happen quickly.

So better and widespread testing/tracing is how we could hope to do better until then.

Of course we’re already doing better than we were weeks ago. But we’re quite a ways from where we need to be.

Widely available antibody testing will also help, when that happens.

I don't understand why the markets don't understand that the stimulus is largely going to be paid back, either directly or indirectly

this isn't cash out of thin air

Most of the stimulus is cash out of thin air. $349B (this number will most likely go up) PPP doesn't get repaid and obviously unemployment insurance and checks to individuals do not get repaid. I don't think the money to hospitals and municipalities gets repaid either.

it's not repaid by the borrower

but the money will need to be accounted for via future tax revenue, to some degree

Ongoing crude mitigation and its economic consequences will need to continue until we have effective and widely available treatments or , more likely, vaccines. Neither is going to happen quickly.

So better and widespread testing/tracing is how we could hope to do better until then.

Of course we’re already doing better than we were weeks ago. But we’re quite a ways from where we need to be.

Widely available antibody testing will also help, when that happens.

Don't disagree. Just noting that there is no "containment" strategy. The only nations where I think that has been viable are Singapore (may fail here shortly), South Korea and Hong Kong. Everyone else has failed at containment.

If testing and tracking are not achievable this summer and treatments/vaccines will not be available soon, then how likely is it we will be able to increase our health care capacity (beds, ventilators, etc.) through surge production and distribution to be ready by the second wave? Perhaps that is the way to open up the economy while minimizing the harms to human life.

Gov Pritzker of Illinois pretty much just announced that summer is canceled

I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that we're gonna be like this until a vaccine is created in like November

I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that we're gonna be like this until a vaccine is created in like November

I think it is going to be a solid year from now before things start returning to normal.

I'm hoping late fall/winter for a vaccine..maybe roll out by next spring and then next summer (2021) people will start venturing out again.

Coronavirus-stricken SD meatpacking plant to close for cleaning

Smithfield's pork-processing plant just north of downtown Sioux Falls buys hogs from around the region and has been a pillar in the Sioux Falls economy since it opened in 1909. It is considered an essential business by the federal government as a major component of the food industry.

So the decision to temporarily close the plant didn't come without controversy as Smithfield tried to balance food production with the fears of the virus spreading further throughout its workforce and within the city of Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken on Thursday described a morning call with Sullivan and the local plant manager as "heated."

"They're mad. I'm mad. It's tense. They're being told by the feds to stay open, I'm being told I need to protect this city," he said. "So we're working together. Tension is good — it's good tension, it's a healthy tension — but there's certainly tension. And I think tension leads to progress."

wtf

Meanwhile the Trump administration is talking about opening back up the economy next month. And Trump supporters are happy about this false hope.

I think it is going to be a solid year from now before things start returning to normal.

I'm hoping late fall/winter for a vaccine..maybe roll out by next spring and then next summer (2021) people will start venturing out again.

Once there’s a widely available antibody test, at least the people who have already caught it will be able to get back to work.

What will they be venturing out into after a year and three months of this, man?

One way or another, there’s no way we stay in this state for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back