• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Costa Concordia (Cruise Ship) Sinks

It was really that close, and apparently had passed "within spitting distance" of the rock that sunk it on its last trip as well.

I4VF2.jpg

It was really that close, and apparently had passed "within spitting distance" of the rock that sunk it on its last trip as well.

it kind of makes you wonder how so many people died. they keep saying "cause of death unknown," so i keep wondering how exactly that happened.

I can't wait for the Discovery channel special on how they are going to tow this mother outta there.

it kind of makes you wonder how so many people died. they keep saying "cause of death unknown," so i keep wondering how exactly that happened.

I thought the same thing, but when you see some of the footage of the inside and imagine older people (or whatever) trying to get out after it had lurched on it's side with significant interior flooding, I can see it. I saw a story on one of the entertainers (violinist) who was helping people off, then went back to his room to save his violin, and they recovered his body yesterday.

My understanding is that the ship is currently resting where the captain steered it after the initial hit. He steered in into shallow waters near the port to make evacuation easier. I've read it's about a 1/2 mile from where the ship initially ran aground.

It must be people that were trapped in the ship or injured from jumping. Otherwise I would think it was swimable? I read somewhere that the water was really cold so I suppose if you were injured and in the water or if it was dark and they couldn't see?

In one of the pictures from that article you can see a rescuer in a room and it's just full of floating furniture, clothes, parts of ship, etc. I hadn't really considered that element so I could see how it would be difficult to get out.

I can't wait for the Discovery channel special on how they are going to tow this mother outta there.

I was thinking the same thing.

My understanding is that the ship is currently resting where the captain steered it after the initial hit. He steered in into shallow waters near the port to make evacuation easier. I've read it's about a 1/2 mile from where the ship initially ran aground.

That's what I was assuming but one of the pictures shows a rock sticking out of the side of the ship. Did it hit more rocks when he steered to shore? Did they drag the first rock?

That's what I was assuming but one of the pictures shows a rock sticking out of the side of the ship. Did it hit more rocks when he steered to shore? Did they drag the first rock?

I would assume they drug it...it appears to be lodged into the hull.

This ship was doomed from the start. According to Wikipedia:

The Costa Concordia had an inauspicious launch when the champagne bottle failed to break.[27]

Part of me can't comprehend how anyone (at a relatively young age) would die from this accident - but one of the last photos from that Boston paper shows what looks to be a complete clusterfuck on the deck - with thousands trying to get off at the same time.

it was prolly chaos as people were trying to get off the ship as well as a certain amount of disorientation going on. someone could have gotten injured that way.

went on a cruise once and didn't think too much of the ship sinking although there was a safety meeting/drill for everyone on the boat.

Somebody better make a show about this. I am very curious.

The area where the ship is aground is a scuba and marine park. Apparently the water there has some of the best vis around. There is talk about making this a diving wreck. It is so close to shore that anybody can access it.

Yeah I read about a couple who only had one life vest and she couldn't swim so the husband let her have it and she never saw him again :(

I read that also. Heartbreaking. I am guessing there were quite a few elderly folks who could not swim or just got shoved aside in the panic?

Carnival/management company will obviously want to try to recoup some of their loss on the ship. It isn't that old and I'm sure that there are some things that could be salvaged.

There is probably a pretty good chance that it isn't salvageable, though. Especially if it slides off into deeper waters.

Back