• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Childress be HC someday?

Ther's no sense copying anything DV7 says. I won't respond to him or anything he asks.

Except for this post:

Ther's no sense copying anything DV7 says. I won't respond to him or anything he asks.

That said, do you have any inside info to dispute my super awesome secret source on this one?

Not reading the whole thread, but the only answer is "who knows?". He would need a lot more coaching experience, but maybe, maybe not.

Somebody else ask the magnanimous rj to post an article with a quote from Randolph Childress saying he was desperate to get into coaching.

I get the infatuation with Childress, but sure seems like Rusty would be a more logical choice in terms of both his post-playing days experiences, not to mention his post-Wake professional career. A great basketball player doesn't automatically equal a great coach - look at Brad Stevens or (current senility aside) Roy Williams.

I will say, I have been extremely surprised and impressed by Childress as an analyst when he does the ESPN3 games. He is a total natural. I was expecting something more like Ricky Proehl and Chuck Ramsey, but Childress is great.

He really is. Plus I like that he's a Deacon homer. :)

I get the infatuation with Childress, but sure seems like Rusty would be a more logical choice in terms of both his post-playing days experiences, not to mention his post-Wake professional career. A great basketball player doesn't automatically equal a great coach - look at Brad Stevens or (current senility aside) Roy Williams.

Rusty doesn't have the personality to be a HC. AD maybe. HC not so much.

Rusty has the personality to be a third assistant. Nothing more, nothing less. He's a good recruiter, but he's just a bad coach. It's been proven on almost every level...

I'm willing to give Chill the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being a HC. In 5-7 years with experience, then maybe, but c'mon.

i

Plenty of HC have either no personality, or brash, caustic personalities. We are well acquainted with one coach like that in particular........

tough shots
tough shots
tough shots

You're going to hate Rusty as HC. Dude's a journey-man already. Couldn't even hold down the HS job he had in Winston a few years back. Let him be what he is. I doubt he's Div 1 HC material for awhile.

I prefer it this way. I don't want Rusty as coach to eclipse my memories of Rusty as a player.

When Bz leaves, we need to start fresh with a whole new coach who brings in his own staff. Putting another Deacon great on this staff just makes that much more difficult.

If Childress wants to be a head coach, he can get on as an assistant somewhere and work his way up like everybody else.

Agree with both points.

You're going to hate Rusty as HC. Dude's a journey-man already. Couldn't even hold down the HS job he had in Winston a few years back. Let him be what he is. I doubt he's Div 1 HC material for awhile.

I prefer it this way. I don't want Rusty as coach to eclipse my memories of Rusty as a player.

Hard to call him a journeyman when he won't leave the Triad. You have to wonder if he wants to be a college head coach or just wants to be the Wake Forest head coach.

Odom, Bzz...two examples from Wake alone. Noted, it could be argued that Bzz shouldn't be a HC anywhere. That said, if personality is the only thing going against him (it's not), he'd fit right in as Wake HC.

[Redacted] was no one's first choice...and as GDO showed in his last 10-12 years, tiomes had passed him by.

It's a different world than it was when we hired GDO. flat, dull coaches, just don't that well in this era.

I'm not saying it's not possible. it's just not as good a choice. There are exceptions to every rule.

I recall that for many years after leaving WF Chill was adamant about not wanting to coach. I seem to remember him citing the pressures on Odom post-championships as one of the reasons.

Could be wrong, but I thought Chill had stated publicly since coming back to WF that he had changed his mind and might be interested in coaching after all.

Chill will be on the staff next year as DOBO. Either Nix will leave or one the current assistants will. Mark it down.

It's pretty stunning how much rj knows about the personalities of our coaching staff and players all the way from California.

It's pretty stunning how much rj knows about the personalities of our coaching staff and players all the way from California.

RJ is one of those great people who knows everything, but isn't all in your face about it. A rare combination of wisdom, genius, and humility.

When Bz leaves, we need to start fresh with a whole new coach who brings in his own staff. Putting another Deacon great on this staff just makes that much more difficult.

If Childress wants to be a head coach, he can get on as an assistant somewhere and work his way up like everybody else.

Lost in all the mularkey is this pearl of wisdom.

In this thread, we have people advocating for a future HC who has no coaching experience, and a future AD with no administrative experience and no successful coaching experience. LOWF runs amok.

Back