• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Childress be HC someday?

Hard to call him a journeyman when he won't leave the Triad. You have to wonder if he wants to be a college head coach or just wants to be the Wake Forest head coach.

Indeed, he has not journeyed far.

Please explain yourself.

:confused:
I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that DOBOs aren't permitted to actively coach the players during practices or visit recruits away from campus. I believe they are restricted to coaching only during games and hosting recruits who visit campus.

Rather than DOBO, it could be more logical that Randolph would become an assistant at Wake if Battle gets a HC gig or moves after this year.

I have a really hard time believing Childress would be interested in a DBO position.

Most players (see Joe Bryant and many others) take their families to Europe with them. Once again you show you don't have aclue what yo uare talknig about.

While we are on the subject of not knowing what you are talking about...

Chill's wife and kids lived in Baltimore most of the time he played overseas.

It's pretty stunning how much rj knows about the personalities of our coaching staff and players all the way from California.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that RJ has never sat down and had a conversation with either Rusty or Chill.

Lost in all the mularkey is this pearl of wisdom.

In this thread, we have people advocating for a future HC who has no coaching experience, and a future AD with no administrative experience and no successful coaching experience. LOWF runs amok.

Head coach is a far more specialized job than AD in my opinion. Plus, unlike becoming a coach, Chill is already in a position gaining experience that could benefit him as an AD....you know, as an assistant to the current AD. The fact that he came back to Wake to work in the AD rather than looking for am assistant coaching position somewhere has to be weighed into the conversation.

Head coach is a far more specialized job than AD in my opinion. Plus, unlike becoming a coach, Chill is already in a position gaining experience that could benefit him as an AD....you know, as an assistant to the current AD. The fact that he came back to Wake to work in the AD rather than looking for am assistant coaching position somewhere has to be weighed into the conversation.

True. But I was referring to Chill as the prospective future HC and Rusty as the future AD. Really, if anything, they're "in training" for the reverse. I guess the discussion is both LOWF and an HR fail.

True. But I was referring to Chill as the prospective future HC and Rusty as the future AD. Really, if anything, they're "in training" for the reverse. I guess the discussion is both LOWF and an HR fail.

Got ya.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Bzz will retire here at Wake even if he has some moderate level of success and isn't forced out. The guy is almost 60 years old and has been a journeyman his entire life. I would be shocked if he is here an additional 3 seasons, regardless of what we do on the court. I've always thought he was a transitional coach to "change the culture" or whatever bs Wellman is spinning and then hand the reins over to someone else. However, how are we "changing the culture" when we heldover most of the assistants from Dino's staff? Even worse, most of those guys are now being talked about as being the successor to Bzz. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Nothing against Battle, Corbean, and Rusty, but if we are going to make a change in regime, then we need to completely clean house and start over. Doing it half-ass like this makes no sense and sets the program back even further. I get it that we held onto most of the assistants to keep the 2010 class together, but didn't we learn that lesson the hard way in 2007? Even worse, the guys in the 2008 class was ranked much higher than the guys in the 2010 Class. Out of the 2010 class, 2 guys are already gone, so even if TC and Carson develop into solid players (McKie is already there), the best Bzz can bat is 60% with that class.

Wasx I wrong about the end of Chill's European career? Yep. But it would be interesting to see if he did the same throughout his career.

The reality is apartments, nannies and kids' school are typical parts of contracts for US players in the better Euro leagues like the ones Chill.

Was I wrong about families traveling on the road with their dads/hubbies as Racer asserted? Nope, He was wrong. Just like in the N BA in Euro leagues rarely travel with thepalyers.

Was I wrong about the length of thte seasons? Nope.

Childress would at least pass the Google Image Search screening process we should absolutely put in place for any coaching candidates.

Wasx I wrong about the end of Chill's European career? Yep. But it would be interesting to see if he did the same throughout his career.

It wasn't just the end of his euro career that he was apart from his wife and children.

I think the most realistic way for Childress to become head coach would go like this.

1. Jeff Battle takes another job somewhere this offseason. Hopefully, a head coaching job since he deserves a shot at one.
2. Battle takes Corbean with him as an assistant.
3. Childress and Nix are hired as the new assistants. Nix is Bz's guy. But Childress on the staff helps Bz gain support with the fanbase.
4. Next year's recruiting class is as good or better than advertized allowing [Redacted] to stabilize the program.
5. We make the NIT next year and the NCAA's every year for the next three or four years after that.
6. Bz decides to retire.
7. Childress is promoted to head coach in order maintain stability in the program.

ON a similiar note, Tom Herrion at Marshall would be a perfect fit for Wake and has coached in ACC with GIllen at UVA. IF Herrion would leave Marshall I would LOVE to see the Battle and Corbean combo come up to Marshall. Wake needs to find a coach that has some type of philosophy. Wake doesn't have an identity on either end of the floor this year.

ON a similiar note, Tom Herrion at Marshall would be a perfect fit for Wake and has coached in ACC with GIllen at UVA. IF Herrion would leave Marshall I would LOVE to see the Battle and Corbean combo come up to Marshall. Wake needs to find a coach that has some type of philosophy. Wake doesn't have an identity on either end of the floor this year.

I know he's dirty, but I really want Donnie Jones from UCF...

I've posted a few of these before, but I've re-conceptualized my coaching wishlist is as follows:

1) Jeff Battle, Assc. Wake Forest
2) Shaka Smart, HC, Virginia Commonwealth University
3) Donnie Jones, HC, Central Florida
4) Dan Hurley, HC, Wagner
5) Jeff Capel, Asst. Duke
6) Kevin Williard, HC, Seton Hall
7) Gregg Marshall, HC, Witchita State
8) Mick Cronin, HC, Cincinnati
9) Doug Wojcik, HC, Tulsa
10)John Pelphrey, Asst. Florida

Back