• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

The whole country is basically an outbreak right now, so most people have no idea where they got it. Gyms, airlines, etc have no incentive whatsoever to determine if there are outbreaks associated with their facilities, and there is no public health contact tracing, so it's unclear where it is most often spread. But it is clearly spreading, and fast.

That’s a simple and sad way to explain it. I’m not sure how good political leadership could unwind this.

My office had a positive case and the last day the person was there was the same day as me.

Two people I were in contact with have both been told to quarantine because they were in contact with that person but I have not. One has received a negative test back already.

Not really how contact tracing works.

My office had a positive case and the last day the person was there was the same day as me.

Two people I were in contact with have both been told to quarantine because they were in contact with that person but I have not. One has received a negative test back already.
Three negative tests in a row and you can coach on the sidelines.
Not really how contact tracing works.

These bastards need to be sent to The Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity.

“The coronavirus pandemic has left about 299,000 more people dead in the United States than would be expected in a typical year, two-thirds of them from covid-19 and the rest from other causes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Tuesday.
The CDC said the novel coronavirus, which causes covid-19, has taken a disproportionate toll on Latinos and Blacks, as previous analyses have noted. But the CDC also found, surprisingly, that it has struck 25- to 44-year-olds very hard: Their “excess death” rate is up 26.5 percent over previous years, the largest change for any age group.”

In about 8 months.

“Among racial groups, the majority of people killed by covid-19 are White. But for people of color, and especially Latinos, the new report emphasizes just how big a difference the pandemic has made in mortality.
For Whites, that means an excess death rate of 11.9 percent over a normal year. For Latinos, it is 53.6 percent, for Blacks 32.9 percent and for Asians 36.6 percent.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...1d77c6-12e1-11eb-ba42-ec6a580836ed_story.html

“The coronavirus pandemic has left about 299,000 more people dead in the United States than would be expected in a typical year, two-thirds of them from covid-19 and the rest from other causes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Tuesday.
The CDC said the novel coronavirus, which causes covid-19, has taken a disproportionate toll on Latinos and Blacks, as previous analyses have noted. But the CDC also found, surprisingly, that it has struck 25- to 44-year-olds very hard: Their “excess death” rate is up 26.5 percent over previous years, the largest change for any age group.”

In about 8 months.

“Among racial groups, the majority of people killed by covid-19 are White. But for people of color, and especially Latinos, the new report emphasizes just how big a difference the pandemic has made in mortality.
For Whites, that means an excess death rate of 11.9 percent over a normal year. For Latinos, it is 53.6 percent, for Blacks 32.9 percent and for Asians 36.6 percent.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...1d77c6-12e1-11eb-ba42-ec6a580836ed_story.html

What are the numbers of traffic fatalities vs. previous years? I would think they are surely down with shutdowns which makes those numbers even more startling.

I also posted this one on the Bullshit Trump Says thread. I didn't even know Gastonia had an airport.

The Cherryville Shooters will take care of Covid when the new year rolls around.

What are the numbers of traffic fatalities vs. previous years? I would think they are surely down with shutdowns which makes those numbers even more startling.

Many months ago when almost everyone was locked down I thought this would be the case, but it had not been shown to be so. I have not seen anything about it lately. Perhaps the data lagged too much to appear when I saw the stats.

Texas has signs all over highways listing the number of fatalities for the year, but I do not remember how it compares to past years.

There’s been a huge uptick in Atlanta in drag racing because of less crowded streets.

Alternate-facts Version:

Zero percent of 52 residents with COVID-19 in a Kansas nursing home have died, despite the fear-mongering and manipulated statistics of the left-wing media.

Yep

Them warshed up takers was a’ dyin’ already mos’ likely.

In about 8 months.

Do you think that 25-44 are more susceptible to the disease but just not going to the hospital and dying with out getting tested? Or are they dying from otherwise treatable afflictions because they are not going to the dr? That is a very sticking excess death rate, probably because I am in that age group (just barely).

Do you think that 25-44 are more susceptible to the disease but just not going to the hospital and dying with out getting tested? Or are they dying from otherwise treatable afflictions because they are not going to the dr? That is a very sticking excess death rate, probably because I am in that age group (just barely).

I dug into that data a little bit. You can find the source data here

the data confirms this note from the article:

Lauren M. Rossen, a senior health statistician at the National Center for Health Statistics and lead author of Tuesday’s report, said the death rate in the young-adult age group “was trending up before the pandemic.”

notably, in the 25-44 age group, excess deaths for weeks 1-39 was up 5% in 2019 over the previous 4-year average

The 2020 excess deaths for weeks 1-39 in that age group total roughly 107,000; 11,000 of those deaths occurred in weeks 1-9 and can't credibly be tied to Covid-19

Crude math says if we extend those week 1-9 deaths out to weeks 1-39, that would be ~47,000 excess deaths completely unrelated to Covid-19, leaving us with ~60,000 associated with Covid-19

It will be interesting to see what drug overdose, suicide, etc., look like in final accounting

Back