• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

Based on the link posted last night that said that college profs somewhere else in Florida got vaccinated, I'd guess that the news of availability traveled quickly to other colleges. Anyone who heard that (including Ph) could assume that the rules had been liberalized. Unless Ph was the first prof to try to get vaccinated or misrepresented himself at the vaccination location, I don't blame him for accepting the shot.

if the zipper merge is superior, why do all worksites start putting up signs a mile or 2 in advance saying "Lane ends, merge right"?

So if there is little traffic, someone is less likely to be caught off guard at the last minute and plow through the barriers. I-85 North before Petersburg is very bad about not having those signs.

Alaska opens vaccines up to everyone 16+

Brazil's situation is obviously very concerning

[h=1]Confusion at FEMA vaccine site leads to people who thought they were eligible being turned away[/h] To add to the frustration, the Tampa FEMA site reports several hundred doses have gone unused in recent days.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/h...usion/67-44201b57-e63d-4920-8f03-e6289e44368a

TAMPA, Fla. — Matt King was one of the first two dozen people in line Monday morning at the FEMA COVID-19 vaccine site outside of the old Tampa Greyhound Track.

“I got there at like 5:30,” he said. “There were four or five columns of cars and around 6 [o’clock] someone came through and asked ‘are you an educator.’”

King said yes.

The assistant professor at the University of South Florida had gotten word from department faculty the day prior that the FEMA site was vaccinating educators, including higher education faculty and staff.

He’d also heard that another FEMA site in Orlando had offered the vaccine to UCF professors, even though higher education employees currently are not specified in state or federal guidelines.

But with his asthma, King said he jumped at the opportunity.

At the site, he said his USF faculty badge had been checked multiple times before he reached the main tent.

“They were clearly letting in faculty at the very beginning of the day,” he said. “I had several people check my credentials.”

He got his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and was on his way.

But at some point Monday, the site stopped offering vaccines to employees of colleges and universities.

“I don’t know where along the line the misunderstanding was but I am aware there were higher educational staff being vaccinated at one time at this site and then it did seem to change,” said FEMA spokesperson Hallie Anderson, but she couldn't explain why they had stopped or, for that matter, started.

Anderson said all FEMA sites in Florida are following the state’s eligibility parameters, but that also includes the federal guidelines laid out by President Joe Biden prioritizing K-12 educators and daycare providers of all ages. She referred additional questions to the state, saying FEMA only supports the site but doesn’t manage it. Calls and emails to the Department of Emergency Management were not immediately returned.

On top of the confusion—or perhaps a direct result of it—officials at Tampa’s FEMA site say supply has far outpaced demand in recent days, leaving several hundred doses unused.

Nice work, OGBoards.

[h=1]Need a COVID vaccine? Tampa's FEMA site has hundreds of them[/h] The vaccine site at the Tampa Greyhound Track never reached max capacity this weekend.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/h...tment/67-99abee66-a55c-4f6d-a132-bbc65fe8a896

Seriously though, I think there's a 75% chance that pants-wetters DD or Junebug called someone about Ph.

On a positive note, I’ve seen university professors, staff, and grad students say they’ve gotten shots at about six different locations in Florida.

In most regions, the public university is the largest employer so excluding them leaves out a lot of people.

On a positive note, I’ve seen university professors, staff, and grad students say they’ve gotten shots at about six different locations in Florida.

In most regions, the public university is the largest employer so excluding them leaves out a lot of people.

Pretty sure the actual front-line workers employed by the public university (medical workers, food service, etc.) would qualify regardless such that they would not be excluded. But it is unclear why the grad student Zoom jockey should be positioned similarly in line. That said, get it if you can get it. The placebo effect is more important than anything else with this thing anyway.

525k+ and the vaccine's most important trait is a placebo effect?

Thats the hottest of hot takes.

Last edited:
I didn't bother to open the video link my Trump cult mom forwarded to me, but it sounds like OAN is saying that masks cause harmful CO2 exposure or some such nonsense.

I didn't bother to open the video link my Trump cult mom forwarded to me, but it sounds like OAN is saying that masks cause harmful CO2 exposure or some such nonsense.

haha, so they are already playing re-runs that have been debunked from last year. classic OAN, bless their hearts.

I love this train of thought. Surgeons and dentists should also ditch the masks.

525k+ and the vaccine's most important trait is a placebo effect?

Thats the hottest of hot takes.

Scorching hot. The primary thing vaccine trials do is show the vaccine is more effective than the placebo.

In what regions of Florida is the public university the largest employer. I'll give you Gainesville. Where else ?

Back