• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford

When Wilbekin got his two quick fouls in the game, Danny should have borrowed a sentence from Odom "Timmy be careful" used shortly after Tim Duncan picked up foul #4. Tim stayed on the floor. Danny should have left Wilbekin in and continued with his planned rotation.

That was said to a ACC DPOY and All American. Not quite the same.

Wilbekin had two fouls. One was an odd call. Wilbekin is not foul prone. Losing him would not be a big loss during the game. Wake has other guards who can play. There was no need for Danny to alter his rotation.

Wilbekin had two fouls. One was an odd call. Wilbekin is not foul prone. Losing him would not be a big loss during the game. Wake has other guards who can play. There was no need for Danny to alter his rotation.

Losing him to fouls would be no big loss but it was a mistake taking him out with 2 because we needed his offense?

Last edited:
Losing him to fouls would be no big loss but it was a mistake taking him out with 2 because we needed his offense?

Taking him out for the rest of the first half is just as bad (if not worse) than just using your normal substitution patterns and having him foul out (maybe) near the end of the game.

I don’t know that it made any difference, it just seemed silly to sit him the rest of the first half when he usually plays 25-30 mpg with no foul issues.

You are essentially disqualifying him yourself instead of letting the refs do it.

Crawford played very well vs. Duke, often dominating their guards.

Now, our dismal interior play especially at PF, is a different story. We do have a MEAC interior.

^^^ I understand this point. I'm just not sure this source of DM criticism is that strong. Most coaches sit guys when they get their second foul in the first half. DM's substitution patterns generally are a biggest criticism imo

^^^ I understand this point. I'm just not sure this source of DM criticism is that strong. Most coaches sit guys when they get their second foul in the first half. DM's substitution patterns generally are a biggest criticism imo

Sitting guys with two fouls is one of those things that needs to be tempered with nuance according to who has the two fouls. In this situation, Wilbekin is a guy who is a senior, understands the game, doesn't commit fouls often, and has only fouled out of one game in his career. Relatively low risk to leave him in and substitute according to plan, rather than sit him for most of a half. Manage his fouls at three and four. Wilbekin played 17 min in the game, 14 in the second half. He finished with three fouls. 14 min and one foul is much more typical of his season than 3 min and 2 fouls.

Crawford played a different game today. He was under control and yet aggressive. If only he would perform like that for the remainder of his career at Wake!

Crawford played a different game today. He was under control and yet aggressive. If only he would perform like that for the remainder of his career at Wake!

Crawford has played well against Duke. Wonder how hard it would be to convince him that he is playing against Duke every game the rest of the season?

Wilbekin today 0-7, 0-4 from 3, 0 ast, 0 rbs in 25 min but only 1 foul.

Nice to see Crawford play like he’s capable.

Back