• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford

This paragraph was in an analysis of the Miami Heat on ESPN. Posted here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22017334/zach-lowe-goran-dragic-hassan-whiteside-miami-heat-nba

Crawford might benefit from the words Eric Spoelstra spoke to JJ: "Stay boring"

"To make it all work, James Johnson had to tone down the high-wire nature of his game -- the nutty turnovers that eroded trust with prior coaches. It took a lot of video sessions with Spoelstra. "He's always preaching to me: 'Stay boring,'" Johnson says. "I didn't realize -- sometimes a play that feels boring to me, I look at the film, and it's me doing too much.""

This team, as a whole, does not value the basketball. Lazy passes and questionable shots are too frequent. Crawford is the most glaring and obvious example, because he has the ball in his hands the most. It's up to the coaching staff to demand that the players value the ball, and that clearly is not happening.

When Wilbekin got his two quick fouls in the game, Danny should have borrowed a sentence from Odom "Timmy be careful" used shortly after Tim Duncan picked up foul #4. Tim stayed on the floor. Danny should have left Wilbekin in and continued with his planned rotation.

This team, as a whole, does not value the basketball. Lazy passes and questionable shots are too frequent. Crawford is the most glaring and obvious example, because he has the ball in his hands the most. It's up to the coaching staff to demand that the players value the ball, and that clearly is not happening.

To be fair, WF is 6th in the ACC in TO% in conference games. Not great, but it's not like WF is turning the ball over at significantly higher rate as compared to the other ACC teams. Agree that WF's turnovers and WF's propensity for poor shots has appeared to increase in crunch time.

Last edited:
He needs to relax and stop trying to win the game every time he touches the ball.

I feel like I remember sportsnut once posting that there have been rumblings about Keyshawn leaving, too. He gets his degree in May. Wouldn't fault him if he wants to start getting paid, but hope everyone comes back.

To be fair, WF is 6th in the ACC in TO% in conference games. Not great, but it's not like WF is turning the ball over at significantly higher rate as compared to the other ACC teams. Agree that WF's turnovers and WF's propensity for poor shots has appeared to increase in crunch time.

Sometimes it is the timing and nature of the turnovers. Errant passes that go right to the opponent in the open court are much worse than offensive fouls or moving picks, or passes thrown out of bounds or other turnovers that result in a dead ball.

Shots that are such bricks that the rebounds go past the foul lines are also much worse than shots that result in defensive rebounds under the basket. Wake's guards have produced plenty of both bad kinds.

Crawford had heated exchange with baby chill last night when Craw was being subbed out. Definitely some stuff stewing around with those guys.

I've seen some non-verbal daggers between these two on the court...whence my concern for attitude/chemistry issues.

I did not see this episode last night, however.

This is starting to feel a bit like CMM. We’ve been 7 years with point guards who seem to have lots of talent and positive attributes but just can’t do shit in crunch time. Leadership just isn’t there. Or killer instinct. It’s getting old.

I would agree with others that believe his body language tells the story that he does not want to be here anymore. Yes thats a big assumption.

In terms of realistically what can be done about it - the coaches may just have their hands tied. Maybe they handed Crawford the reigns and put a plan in place to help him get to the NBA by showing off his skills and being “the man” this year. Maybe they fear what would happen if they grew some balls and went back on that or made a big personnel move. Or what recruits would think that are “pre-NBA” types.

I’m not saying any of that is right or a smart way to manage a college team, I just wonder how many of these types of factors play in.

FTR this is all speculative.

I think you're correct when you say they're worried what recruits would think regarding NBA aspiring players and benching one for not having a good year. The way I see it, we have out 2018 class locked up and a couple of talented Freshmen on this years team. The coaches need not worry about what 16 year old kids are thinking right now. If he didn't have LOI's for 2018 then it would be a different story.

Plus, any good player with NBA aspirations should understand and respect that move. Students of the game don't want to play for a coach who allows that kind of circus every game.

Spends tons of time talking shit about Wake players, but can't handle it when it is turned on him.

Like I said- you're a real winner.
Yeah, I’m the only poster who criticizes WF players. Gotcha.

Crawford and Childress need to share the 40 minutes at PG. Period. Minutes to be determined by quality of team play on offense and defense. This team looks worse when both are on the floor. Eliminate that option.

I don't like shitting on a player like this, unless it's a duke player. Duke players suck goat dick. Coaches are the ones supposed to teach talented but flawed players how to work together and win games.

Full disclosure: I only had the chance to watch a few minutes of the game on Wednesday. #badfan

I'm not usually into trashing an individual player, but in the handful of minutes that I watched - around the time it was 67-63 - Crawford had two brutal hero-ball shots, a bad foul on the block, a bad turnover on a half-court pass, and a really nice feed to Childress for a 3. It seemed to torpedo whatever momentum we might've had and VT pulled away right around the time I had to leave. The epitome of sports-related frustration.

When Wilbekin got his two quick fouls in the game, Danny should have borrowed a sentence from Odom "Timmy be careful" used shortly after Tim Duncan picked up foul #4. Tim stayed on the floor. Danny should have left Wilbekin in and continued with his planned rotation.

Not sure about that. Wilbekin is so slow laterally anyway that it would be 4 on 5 on the defensive end. I think he had to take him out.

Edit: or go to a zone and leave him in.

Last edited:
I think the point was that putting Wilbekin on the bench due to foul trouble was silly. He's only fouled out of 1 game in his 4 year career (@ Duke his Sophomore year). Why let it impact your substitution rotations?

I think the point was that putting Wilbekin on the bench due to foul trouble was silly. He's only fouled out of 1 game in his 4 year career (@ Duke his Sophomore year). Why let it impact your substitution rotations?

Absofreakinglutely!! We needed some offense and his fouls were never going to hurt us.

I didn’t see this while at the game, what happened?

I was sitting halfway back in 106 and Craw was heading to bench maybe late first half during chills shooting woes. I've spent plenty of time on and behind college hoop benches with teammates upset but this seemed more. Felt like more than just being pissed being subbed out with 0-fer still out there chucking. I think they both can be excellent complimentary players within their strengths.

Back