• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford

I don't think you bench a player for one shitty game. Shitty games happen.

Refer to Coaching 101 guide, written by Sir John Wooden.

You either are a coach who constantly tinkers with the starting lineup and it is more palatable, or you are coach who tries to lock in a rotation and tweak it as needed. Manning is the latter. I expect a huge game from Crawford at Duke, but that was his worst game in a long time. I am okay with crap games - it's his decision making that trouble me. I feel like Crawford plays better on the road which indicates some complications on campus with friends/girl, etc...

I've been saying Crawford is gone after this season since last year at this time. Be it NBA, Europe, G-league, or enterprise rent-a-car. He doesn't want to be here anymore.

What I will own is that for the good of the team and for Crawford's own good, he must become disciplined enough to use his considerable skills to take care of the ball, to get open shots for his teammates, to take only high percentage shots for himself, to take a subordinate role if that means winning. In a crowded restaurant how many people adore the beautiful but undisciplined out of control 2 year old whose screaming ruins everyone's dining experience? Is it mean to wish that the parents had taught the kid how to behave in public?

The talented player who is losing games by playing selfishly and carelessly will be much more likeable if his coaches convince him to use his talents in a disciplined way...which might well mean that he loses playing time for a game or two.

That is what I was saying and I stand by it.

No, but this isn't the case here. Not even close. We need a leader who can help create team chemistry. Crawford isn't that guy, plain and simple.

I usually agree with you, but I don't know how the situation gets improved by benching our best player. Who steps in to fill this leadership vacuum you see? If that guy isn't on our roster, how is it going to help to sit Crawford on the bench?

I think it is Crawford's team, for better or for worse.

I have no real problem with the offense that we run... But you have to admit the last few games have been flat-out awful on that end of the floor. And it's not just the turnovers... Though many of those have been completely avoidable, not a result of being aggressive.

It was oddly comforting to just be able to say, "Welp, we suck because we can't play defense." Now, we can't seem to find good shots (or any shots) on many possessions. And the tendency to slow it down while still somehow ignoring our post players is not pleasing.

Yeah the first half was really bad. No one was moving, giving any effort, and for some reason we didn't get the ball in to doral multiple times that it would've been an easy entry pass for two points on a guard. Again, that stems from being a guard/PG heavy offense. When they are playing bad, everything is bad.

I usually agree with you, but I don't know how the situation gets improved by benching our best player. Who steps in to fill this leadership vacuum you see? If that guy isn't on our roster, how is it going to help to sit Crawford on the bench?

I think it is Crawford's team, for better or for worse.

Yeah, I definitely see both sides of the equation here. It's a very tough situation for the coaches and the team. Crawford's body language tells me that he doesn't want to be here this year which is why I'm sticking to it that he'll be gone next year. Hope I'm wrong and he makes me look like an ass hole. I don't want to be a self fulfilling prophecy, I just want our Deacs to win games and have team chemistry.

Edit to answer questions: A leader will emerge or we will begin to play team basketball. Both are a step up from the hero ball display we've seen from Crawford this season. Having Crawford on the bench doesn't mean not seeing the floor. I want him to reassess his role on this team by losing his starting job. A mentally tough athlete rebounds from that and becomes a stronger person and player. Why not try it?

Last edited:
anyone know off the top of their head what the usual percentage of assist to shots made is?
i ask because i just noticed last night's box score

VT
29 field goals - 20 assists

Wake
31 field goals - 11 assists

anyone know off the top of their head what the usual percentage of assist to shots made is?
i ask because i just noticed last night's box score

VT
29 field goals - 20 assists

Wake
31 field goals - 11 assists

Assists per field goal made in conference play we are 4th in the conference.
On the season, we are 201st.

What I will own is that for the good of the team and for Crawford's own good, he must become disciplined enough to use his considerable skills to take care of the ball, to get open shots for his teammates, to take only high percentage shots for himself, to take a subordinate role if that means winning. In a crowded restaurant how many people adore the beautiful but undisciplined out of control 2 year old whose screaming ruins everyone's dining experience? Is it mean to wish that the parents had taught the kid how to behave in public?

The talented player who is losing games by playing selfishly and carelessly will be much more likeable if his coaches convince him to use his talents in a disciplined way...which might well mean that he loses playing time for a game or two.

That is what I was saying and I stand by it.

Your statement was that Crawford's teammates would be happy if he wasn't starting. That's a shitty thing to say, no matter how you slice it. Try and explain it all you want to, its still shitty. And again, something where you have no idea whether its actually true.

I've been saying Crawford is gone after this season since last year at this time. Be it NBA, Europe, G-league, or enterprise rent-a-car. He doesn't want to be here anymore.

If he leaves, next year we'll have a lot of problems. He is much, much better than Chill. Sharone could become a really good player but asking to start at PG next year is too much.

If you are going to be honest, we often have two empty holes on the court with Craw. Thompson was not good at Marshall and we are getting that level of play out of him this year. Wilbekin is totally one dimensional which limits what the rest of the team can do. Chill would be a very good D2 PG but is limited in the ACC. Doral can score, but is totally one dimensional on offense and basically only Craw gets him the ball.

Chaundee is improving. I wish Danny would get in Chaundee's ear and tell him he's going to play 25-30 mpg no matter what. If he makes a mistake, he won't get yanked. I think this would help everyone around him as well.

I agree on Chaundee, RJ. We're going to have a whole different level of talent next year, so let's spend the rest of the season making Sarr and Brown better. Next year they'll have an experienced Chill and Woods, but the team will go where the young guys take us. Sarr Brown Hoard and Mucius could be a really good group.

Your statement was that Crawford's teammates would be happy if he wasn't starting. That's a shitty thing to say, no matter how you slice it. Try and explain it all you want to, its still shitty. And again, something where you have no idea whether its actually true.

I didn't say they would be happy. I said that I doubted that anyone other than Crawford himself would be "upset". That is my suspicion, namely that the team might be relieved if he were not on the floor so much until he decides to play in a more disciplined way...take care of the ball, pass the ball so as to get better shots for his teammates, and take better shots himself. It's not a matter of being "happy". It's a matter of wanting him to be more of a team player, playing more up to his potential. I said nothing about the team disliking him and not wanting to play with him. I suspect they all realize that he is the most talented player on the team. But if these guys truly want to win (and I am sure they do), I suspect that they might wish that Crawford would get his act together and if sitting for short periods and not starting would be useful I don't think anyone would be upset.

Hopefully you can recognize the distinction between not being upset and being positively happy.

Sarr is improving in almost every game. He's doing things few 7' players can. With added experience and strength, he'll finish several plays he can't at this time.

Horn has done a great with add strength to our players, but there seems to be one weakness in several of our players. They have weak hands. Opponents take the ball out of their hands. I hope he can get the guys to work on this critical element going forward.

His play backs up this statement.

I didn't say they would be happy. I said that I doubted that anyone other than Crawford himself would be "upset". That is my suspicion, namely that the team might be relieved if he were not on the floor so much until he decides to play in a more disciplined way...take care of the ball, pass the ball so as to get better shots for his teammates, and take better shots himself. It's not a matter of being "happy". It's a matter of wanting him to be more of a team player, playing more up to his potential. I said nothing about the team disliking him and not wanting to play with him. I suspect they all realize that he is the most talented player on the team. But if these guys truly want to win (and I am sure they do), I suspect that they might wish that Crawford would get his act together and if sitting for short periods and not starting would be useful I don't think anyone would be upset.

Hopefully you can recognize the distinction between not being upset and being positively happy.

The players who want to have the best chance to win would hate Crawford not starting. Doral would hate not getting the ball (and this impacts his defense and rebounding) from the guy who gets it to him the most. Craw creates the space for Wilbekin to get his shot off.

Yes, the team would be upset if their best player didn't start.

Crawford's play backs up that he doesn't want to play basketball at WF anymore, AND that he it doesn't matter whether his option is NBA (not an option), G-League, Europe or Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

The point of Creamy's statement is that it doesn't matter (to Crawford) how well he plays this season.

I disagree with that completely. Of course any kid would love to play in the NBA, but few aspire to G-League.

He is not having a good season, but he's playing hard and looking for his teammates. If you watch many of his drives, throwing up a shot is his last recourse when his teammates don't move at all.

I disagree with that completely. Of course any kid would love to play in the NBA, but few aspire to G-League.

He is not having a good season, but he's playing hard and looking for his teammates. If you watch many of his drives, throwing up a shot is his last recourse when his teammates don't move at all.

Yeah but that pension from enterprise rent-a-car tho!

In all seriousness, Crawford’s play this season has been the definition of insanity. Fail time after time and not change a thing about how he goes about things. I hope he has some pride and remembers why he chose to play at WF in the first place. While Craw does have the aforementioned “fuck you” mentality, he also has demonstrated that he is weak minded at the same time.

In all seriousness, Crawford’s play this season has been the definition of insanity. Fail time after time and not change a thing about how he goes about things. I hope he has some pride and remembers why he chose to play at WF in the first place. While Craw does have the aforementioned “fuck you” mentality, he also has demonstrated that he is weak minded at the same time.

How certain is your source that he is leaving after this year? If he leaves early to play in Europe, I have a lot of thoughts on that and only one is a positive.

Back