• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CROOKED Hilary

Thanks. That should do it. #jhmd20002016

A small amount of truth beats an enormous lie. Again, I've watched you raise your own kids. I know you believe my argument, but I am sad that you don't believe other people are cut out for it. What did they do to deserve your soft bigotry?

A small amount of truth beats an enormous lie. Again, I've watched you raise your own kids. I know you believe my argument, but I am sad that you don't believe other people are cut out for it. What did they do to deserve your soft bigotry?

You think just telling people bootstraps is enough, and Republicans have been trying to tell that "truth" forever. It doesn't work and history proves you wrong.

No. The empirical evidence is in. We don't have to speculate. In fact, we don't even have to convince you. You believe my argument for your family. Somebody else's has to settle for public benefits. Not yours, though.

Yes, people would rather live in a nice house than be on welfare. Shocking truth you have discovered.

This is the part of this argument where you throw in this strawman

Wait. How is that a strawman? I hear that cop-out every time someone doesn't have a real rebuttal to a post. If you can't refute what someone says, just say it is a "strawman". Everything that jhmd said in that post is the mother-fucking truth. If you finish high school, get married before starting a family and go to work you are going to end off much better off than if you didn't do those things. You might not be as well off as you would like to be, but you would still be better off than if you dropped out of school, had children that you could not provide for and refused to go to work...on any job.

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

Wait. How is that a strawman? I hear that cop-out every time someone doesn't have a real rebuttal to a post. If you can't refute what someone says, just say it is a "strawman". Everything that jhmd said in that post is the mother-fucking truth. If you finish high school, get married before starting a family and go to work you are going to end off much better off than if you didn't do those things. You might not be as well off as you would like to be, but you would still be better off than if you dropped out of school, had children that you could not provide for and refused to go to work...on any job.

Bob with the #flametake

Seems that BKF doesn't know what a strawman argument is, which makes a lot of sense.

strange bedfellows

923 is correct. If you disregard jhmd and bkf, there is no one with whom they can argue. And quoting them makes their comments visible for those of us who have put them on ignore.

It's a strawman because nobody is, or has, argued the other side.

But jhmd likes to pretend that people have, or are, arguing the other side, and that he is posting some revelation.

Last edited:
923 is correct. If you disregard jhmd and bkf, there is no one with whom they can argue. And quoting them makes their comments visible for those of us who have put them on ignore.

But it's part of what makes the politics board enjoyable. Also, a good reminder of who has the right to vote.

This.

Also is it irony that BKF doesn't know what a strawman argument is? Probably not ironic, just an interesting coincidence.

It's a strawman because nobody is, or has, argued the other side.

But jhmd likes to pretend that people have, or are, arguing the other side, and that he is posting some revelation.

The Dems are running two candidates who are in a race to the "free!" bottom. They are arguing government-as-solution at every turn. They are arguing the other side with every breath, to fools, unfortunately.

JHMD, what is the non-government solution to providing for people living below the poverty line? I've never really understood what the alternative to government assistance would be in that case. Who provides for people who are unable to afford food for their kids? I don't think the answer to that is "don't have kids" from a policy perspective. Once the kids are alive and that ship has sailed, what happens if a single mother can't afford to feed her kid? She's just on the streets and hoping for private charity?

The Dems are running two candidates who are in a race to the "free!" bottom. They are arguing government-as-solution at every turn. They are arguing the other side with every breath, to fools, unfortunately.

That's not really true. Why do you think the progressives are so against the Hilldog? They think she is a faux Republican.

JHMD, what is the non-government solution to providing for people living below the poverty line? I've never really understood what the alternative to government assistance would be in that case. Who provides for people who are unable to afford food for their kids? I don't think the answer to that is "don't have kids" from a policy perspective. Once the kids are alive and that ship has sailed, what happens if a single mother can't afford to feed her kid? She's just on the streets and hoping for private charity?

Well, let's keep this thread focused on how much our country is Ready for Hillary(TM). Happy to discuss on the income inequality thread. For Hillary's part (or any politician), I think they do voters a huge disservice talking about the system being stacked against them because of their race/class/gender/favorite baseball team. Sure, the system doesn't treat everyone equally, and life, like many things, isn't fair. But if Hillary et al wanted to tell the whole truth, she should say something like "If you think the system hates you now, just wait until you've had children before finishing high school/getting married. The data is bloody on you if you do that."

Well, let's keep this thread focused on how much our country is Ready for Hillary(TM). Happy to discuss on the income inequality thread. For Hillary's part (or any politician), I think they do voters a huge disservice talking about the system being stacked against them because of their race/class/gender/favorite baseball team. Sure, the system doesn't treat everyone equally, and life, like many things, isn't fair. But if Hillary et al wanted to tell the whole truth, she should say something like "If you think the system hates you now, just wait until you've had children before finishing high school/getting married. The data is bloody on you if you do that."

So you don't like Hillary because she isn't a Republican? Got it.

Well I eagerly await your response somewhere as to what happens in a system with "no government handouts" when people inevitably need assistance of some sort.

Back