• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 190: Rubbins Made CT Great Again!!1! Thank You Rubbins!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get into some Winston kickball. Do they do softball too, or is it just kickball?

what, like they practiced and contested calls? did they clear the dugout?

I would say in our leagues we always had at least 2 teams that were uber competitive. Had practices, yelled at refs, pitched super aggressively going for strike outs/foul outs, etc. They were less than fun to play against. Ours was a super social party league so the rest of the teams were just there to "play" for 45 min then go to the bar. Some other leagues around town had a rep for being more competitive overall.

However, we did have a super competitive bar olympics every year (pretty sure people were more into winning that than the actual kickball championship)

Well, speaking from experience, the WS kickball scene is a little different than the DC one. Not a lot of inter-team parties/hanging out/camaraderie. So your eligible pool is basically just the team you're on.

then what's the point of playing?

what, like they practiced and contested calls? did they clear the dugout?

Yep, and had tryouts/cuts for their teams. Yelled a ton at the umps when calls didn't go their way, tried to run through catchers at home plate/etc, were combative and tried to start fights, really pushed the pitching rules to the limit, just awful to play against in general (oh yeah and smoking cigs out on the field and shit). Most teams aren't like that at all, but there was always 1 or 2.

then what's the point of playing?

Besides just hanging out/going to the bar w/ your team after? not much I guess. It was definitely a big weakness of the league (and I think the commish was attempting to make that a bit better the season after I left).

Screw that. I'm just trying to kickball and chill. Lemme know if you find a cool team Doof. I'm in.

You could probably get enough people from the boards to have a team. I'd be interested if it works with my schedule.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Screw that. I'm just trying to kickball and chill. Lemme know if you find a cool team Doof. I'm in.

yeah I'd say like 75% of teams are like that/just drink at games/chill. u just learn to brace yourselves when you're playing the dick teams (and you'll recognize them on the schedule).

A couple weeks ago a dude on the other team was just constantly blocking the base path. I desperately wanted to just plow through him because he was being a dickwad, but when the chance came, he dove to field and I lept over him to first base (out). Perhaps I'm one of the un-fun players. I've been a proponent of having a practice especially at the start of the season to get used to kicking/throwing/catching again. 2-3 chances in a game to kick doesn't give a lot of opportunity to improve.

Like 6 years ago, this WSSSC league did a ton of stuff as a whole league, with everyone going to the same bar after for free sandwiches or wings and mingling. Definitely doesn't happen anymore, though the gift cards to OWSC do help more teams go there, but still not a ton of mingling. I wish they offered specials or something though.

Would you join team #WellmanOut, RTQ? or are you cool with your current bros and brositas?

Could there be a possible love connection between TK and RTQ on the kickball field?

I think a pre season practice is fine to meet the team and get the cobwebs off. More than that is too much.

We had a bar that was our league sponsor and had drink specials. So everyone always went.

Rednecks, tons of super-religious freaks, traffic, giant churches, culturally backwards yet the people living there are convinced Charlotte is "big time"...

Say what you will about Raleigh, but we aren't any of those things except that traffic on I40 sucks. Mega churches and NASCAR are definitely more of a CLT-area thing. This is essentially a college, government and technology area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back