• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5yo just told us today she didn't like t-ball and didn't want to play. The coach in me was a little disappointed. The chauffer/guy who enjoys day drinking and hiking on weekends was pretty jazzed.

Aside from swimming and gymnastics, I haven't done any sports with my 4yo.

My 6yo started soccer at 3 (hated it) and t-ball at 4 (loves it; plays softball now)... She will play anything that she is good at so that she can show off. Semi-related example... It took her forever to learn to ride a bike, but now anytime she sees a kid in the neighborhood with training wheels, she runs into the garage to get her bike and basically do circles around them. It's probably not a good quality.

My wife doesn't like that I haven't put the 4yo into soccer or t-ball yet, but she tends to be much more emotionally fragile. I don't want to push her and have her hate it. I know she sees her older sister playing sports, so I keep mentioning it to her, but she seems pretty OK with not doing it yet.

I'm glad I had girls first because I think otherwise I'd have put my 2yo son into sports already because I want him to correct all of the mistakes I made in my life. No pressure, bud!

It's a 60 year old lady, but I'll ask for you.

tenor.gif

Aside from swimming and gymnastics, I haven't done any sports with my 4yo.

My 6yo started soccer at 3 (hated it) and t-ball at 4 (loves it; plays softball now)... She will play anything that she is good at so that she can show off. Semi-related example... It took her forever to learn to ride a bike, but now anytime she sees a kid in the neighborhood with training wheels, she runs into the garage to get her bike and basically do circles around them. It's probably not a good quality.

My wife doesn't like that I haven't put the 4yo into soccer or t-ball yet, but she tends to be much more emotionally fragile. I don't want to push her and have her hate it. I know she sees her older sister playing sports, so I keep mentioning it to her, but she seems pretty OK with not doing it yet.

I'm glad I had girls first because I think otherwise I'd have put my 2yo son into sports already because I want him to correct all of the mistakes I made in my life. No pressure, bud!

What mistakes/regrets around rec sports do you have in your life?

When it came to rec sports my parents were pretty much insistent we try things out at least once and if we didn't like it after that we didn't have to keep playing. Basketball and Soccer church reg leagues stuck, t-ball and coach-pitch did not, particularly after a good friend got nailed in the nads playing short stop.

My 16 month year old son is obsessed with kicking a soccer ball around and is surprisingly pretty good at it. I'm really hoping it's not just a phase (it's fun to play w/him now but will be more fun when he can understand the concept of passing etc, all he wants to do now is score goals). I also really really really hope he got his mom's knees.

most of my rec league memories are positive, but one that stands out is striking out with the bases loaded in the last inning to kill a big comeback at age, like, 12

most of my rec league memories are positive, but one that stands out is striking out with the bases loaded in the last inning to kill a big comeback at age, like, 12

the one that stands out the most for me is the first time i ever pitched, i nailed the first batter square in the back haha

When my great nephew was four he was TREMENDOUSLY excited before his first huge T-ball game. Believe me, I talked that night and he was bummed. I asked him why. "No one wins. I can count. I know score."

When he was six, he got trophy for finishing fourth in soccer league and didn't want it. TERRIFIC attitude!

What mistakes/regrets around rec sports do you have in your life?

Biggest regret is from Little League. The adults who ran the league didn't fill the paperwork properly keeping us from being in an "official" league for the LLWS. We played a team from the next town three times and beat them all three times. They made it to Williamsport. We should have been there instead of them.

the one that stands out the most for me is the first time i ever pitched, i nailed the first batter square in the back haha

I hit the little brother of the girl I liked at the time 3x in the same game. Twice in the helmet. It was in my head... Couldn't throw it over the plate to him. She was there.

NOBODY CARES, BUT...

I have a lot of baseball memories from my youth:
I remember walking in the winning run in a 1-0 loss where I had pitched the entire game... I was very sad about that. I think I was 12. The coach on the other team was really supportive, I remember.
I remember hitting a bomb that went just foul at the last second as a 14 year old on a real sized field... I was dumb skinny, so power hitting was not my thing. Huge disappointment that it didn't stay fair.
And then I vividly remember throwing a hanging curveball to Justin Granato that ended up as a line drive that hit me in the left eye and broke my nose and orbital. Ambulance on the field and everything. I have never seen my mom more scared. I was 15.

I have two for football... Both when I was 12 (because that was the only season I played football):
I had finally convinced my coach that I was a better punter than the kid we were using... My first punt went right into the center's butt. He was nice enough to let me keep punting that game, and I did OK, but that was it.
We had an unreal RB and I played most of my time at WR, but backed up this kid at RB. We had a 4th and 2 and he put us both in there and I was going to get a carry (nobody expected me to get the ball)... He told me before I went out on the field some version of "Don't screw this up!" Well, somehow between him calling that play and us actually running the play, we were assessed a 5 yard penalty and it was 4th and 7. We ran it anyway and I got a few yards and was tackled in such a way that my legs felt like a wishbone after Thanksgiving.

I didn't play tackle football after that season.

the strikeout season was my last baseball season, I got to pitch a few times late in the year because at age 12 in rec league, kids just walk a ton of guys, but I was able to get the ball over the plate so we got shelled instead of just walking in runs

My biggest high school regret is playing 4 years of high school baseball when I could’ve played golf at Jefferson Landing 5 days a week for 3 months a year for free.

When it came to rec sports my parents were pretty much insistent we try things out at least once and if we didn't like it after that we didn't have to keep playing. Basketball and Soccer church reg leagues stuck, t-ball and coach-pitch did not, particularly after a good friend got nailed in the nads playing short stop.

My 16 month year old son is obsessed with kicking a soccer ball around and is surprisingly pretty good at it. I'm really hoping it's not just a phase (it's fun to play w/him now but will be more fun when he can understand the concept of passing etc, all he wants to do now is score goals). I also really really really hope he got his mom's knees.

hm so more of a harry kane type than his namesake

It's a great one. The video I mentioned is great during that piece, the piccolo starts and then the bass player just throws down. The comments online described it as kind of surf rock, to me it always reminded me of that old song Secret Agent Man, I guess because of the rhythm and instrumentation.

I love BOTW but this year I've really been working hard to get my Spanish to a more advanced level, and I'm taking classes almost every day. That in addition to running after work leaves hardly any time after for videogames, and after dinner I'm usually more apt to read or watch something on Netflix than pick up the Switch. I definitely feel like I'm missing out, what I've played so far has been incredible.

That surf rock is some of the best music I’ve ever heard in a video game. The music in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is excellent as well.

One of my favorite memories of playing video games with my boys is playing Skylanders: Trap Team. At that point, they only had the two skylanders that came with the game so dying on any level would mean starting the level back over. They were on like the 3rd to last boss. My oldest son died so my 3 year old had to finish the battle. He was dialed in and beat the boss while my oldest was jumping around and screaming with excitement. He had nerves of steel. It was impressive. And then he beat BOTW on his own when he was 5.

I used the thumbs up all of the time until my wife told me she felt it was dismissive of what she's texting me. I mean FFS, do I really need to give her an in depth confirmation of every comment and thought she has?

Yes. Yes you do. In person and in text.

I loved baseball but when we moved to player pitch my coach was an a hole. He let me throw one pitch in practice that went in the dirt and didn’t let me try again. Wouldn’t you know it his son ended up being the pitcher.

My first at bat I struck out and he was a dick about it. I walked out of the dugout and never played again.

My biggest regrets are probably skipping the district wrestling tournament my junior year and not wrestling senior year. Junior year a bunch of scrubs I tooled around made the state tournament. Going from football to wrestling and cutting that much weight really wore on me. My knees were miserable after my senior year of football. It was probably the smart decision but one I regret. I tried to volunteer as a manager for the team but my coach didn’t want “quitters” associated with his team.

I hit the little brother of the girl I liked at the time 3x in the same game. Twice in the helmet. It was in my head... Couldn't throw it over the plate to him. She was there.

NOBODY CARES, BUT...

I have a lot of baseball memories from my youth:
I remember walking in the winning run in a 1-0 loss where I had pitched the entire game... I was very sad about that. I think I was 12. The coach on the other team was really supportive, I remember.
I remember hitting a bomb that went just foul at the last second as a 14 year old on a real sized field... I was dumb skinny, so power hitting was not my thing. Huge disappointment that it didn't stay fair.
And then I vividly remember throwing a hanging curveball to Justin Granato that ended up as a line drive that hit me in the left eye and broke my nose and orbital. Ambulance on the field and everything. I have never seen my mom more scared. I was 15.

I have two for football... Both when I was 12 (because that was the only season I played football):
I had finally convinced my coach that I was a better punter than the kid we were using... My first punt went right into the center's butt. He was nice enough to let me keep punting that game, and I did OK, but that was it.
We had an unreal RB and I played most of my time at WR, but backed up this kid at RB. We had a 4th and 2 and he put us both in there and I was going to get a carry (nobody expected me to get the ball)... He told me before I went out on the field some version of "Don't screw this up!" Well, somehow between him calling that play and us actually running the play, we were assessed a 5 yard penalty and it was 4th and 7. We ran it anyway and I got a few yards and was tackled in such a way that my legs felt like a wishbone after Thanksgiving.

I didn't play tackle football after that season.

Nice. My best memory was hitting a pitch from a kid I didn't like in the shin to knock him out of the game, so just know that at some time in the future Justin Granato is going to remember fondly that time he broke your face.

Speaking of nailing a pitch... Kukowt... can you make this my avatar?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back