• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2024.2: Windy opines on exes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. Fucking awesome list. Were Broken Horses and Warlock any good?

B. I may have posted this before, but in response to your Harry Potter reread: Your mother is so fat that the sorting hat put her in the Waffle House. <3

I enjoyed Broken Horses because I like Brandi Carlile. She's not the best writer (and she's open about her lack of education), but the stories were great and I learned a lot about her career. She's a very endearing performer (in my opinion) and this added to that lore. If you don't like her music, it's probably not an interesting read. Warlock was a grind for me - I liked the story (very Tombstone-y), but the pacing was tough for me at times. I read it because it was recommended in the book thread.

To your second point, (1) great joke and (2) this isn't a re-read - I've never read Harry Potter before so I'm experiencing the magic for the first time. We're about halfway through book 7 now and I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire series.

I love Stephen Graham
I picked his book out of the book thread - probably at your recommendation.

Reading the first couple of Harry Potter books out loud with my oldest daughter a few years ago was awesome. I would have read them all with her, but she started reading them on her own and left me in the dust. So I just read them by myself after she was finished with each one. Was fun to be able to talk with her about each of them afterwards.

I'm now reading them with my 7yo daughter and we're on book 4 and she's starting to read it on her own and I just pop in as a guest reader a couple of times a week. It's still fun because she catches me up on what I've missed since our last reading.

I suspect I'll get through all 7 with my (now) 5yo son when he's ready because I don't think he'll ever sit still long enough to read a book on his own. If he ever learns to read at all.
My 8 yo could read them herself, but it would be a bit much for the 6.5 yo right now. It's a part of the bedtime routine we all enjoy. Not sure what we're going to read at night once we wrap up book 7!

These seem like uncessarily strict standards for putting someone into involuntary medical care.

[

Grave Disability​

Being “gravely disabled” means that someone is no longer able to provide for their own food, clothing, or shelter because of a mental health disorder. WIC § 5008(h). A person may be considered gravely disabled if, for instance, they are no longer eating enough to survive, or they have become unable to maintain housing.

Additional Information on Grave Disability​

Someone incapable of caring for herself, but who can survive safely with the help of a willing third party, would likely not be “gravely disabled.”

The bar should be pretty damn high for involuntary medical care.

If someone has decision making capacity they should be allowed to make poor decisions.
What would you say in the event of someone who used to have complete clarity but due to severe disease clearly does not anymore, and added in has a bit of right wing distrust of modern medicine thrown in. The only way for this person to get help is to be committed and medically treated against his will, and it seems under statute he's not eligible. He will 100% be homeless (and wheelchair bound) unless I house him in a few months. I spent about an hour on the phone with his mother last night, who is currently housing him and is selling the house and moving to Arkansas to get away for her own sanity. (He called the cops on her after she told him she was selling the house, and he's only been living there for about a month after getting evicted from a lease she co-signed). And there's been at least 5 police interactions within the last year that I know of.

Last edited:
Is it ? Have you seen that stretch of N Tryon since they shut down the main branch of the library ?
I’m sure you’re aware of the 30 other branches of the local library. One of which is across the street from your grocery store

Also there are worse things to use public buildings for than allowing the public to be inside a building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back