• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it was my favorite American novel!

To be fair, yes, you did post this first:

no but i do think moby dick is the best american novel

But I was responding to (and quoted) this post in particular, which did not specify American and in fact implied a wider field of consideration:

as you know i don't have particularly refined tastes for an english major, but i do love sprawling epics--infinite jest and gravity's rainbow and house of leaves are other favorites. i like it when novels play around with storytelling and aren't just a simple thing for you to latch onto. i think melville manages to tell a story and play with the novel in a way that the rest of the books I mentioned wouldn't be able to exist without (though i'm not an academic qualified to make a statement like that). it feels like the literary forebear for the kinds of books i like reading from teh 20th/21st centuries.

If you're interested in literary forbears, even for these "postmodern" American novels, I'd recommend looking even further backward in time! There's always a precursor.

I am so damn tired this week. Trying to make it through to tomorrow night for edibles and noodles. Then Deacs and trying out a new place in Carrboro for dinner on Saturday.

This is not a troll. This is Palma's actual perspective.

I'm cool once they get to an age where they aren't crying all the time, like 3 or 4. 1 might be ok, I don't know that much. But when they're 2 just stay home.

+1 for two roosters. The one in Durham is basically next door to hi wire brewing. Good spot to kill a couple of hours.

Last edited:
I'm cool once they get to an age where they aren't crying all the time, like 3 or 4. 1 might be ok, I don't know that much. But when they're 2 just stay home.

The younger the better; once they get mobile it's a different ball game....much easier to dine out with a young baby than a toddler.

The younger the better; once they get mobile it's a different ball game....much easier to dine out with a young baby than a toddler.

Yep, baby in suitcase stage is the best.
2 yr old... not so much. "ALL DONE! PLAY!"

+1 for two roosters. The one in Durham is basically next door to go wire brewing. Good spot to kill a couple of hours.

Come to think of it the new pizza spot that is going in Golden Belt will be open by then as well. So you could have a good half day hanging out right in that little plaza. But Two Roosters though. It’s so damn good.

Probs been posted a gazillion times, but what're a couple of the best pizza spots in Asheville? Not looking for deep dish.

Yeah this is generally why we only eat in outdoor spots with areas for the kids to run around where they don’t irritate the shit out us or others

To be fair, yes, you did post this first:

But I was responding to (and quoted) this post in particular, which did not specify American and in fact implied a wider field of consideration:

If you're interested in literary forbears, even for these "postmodern" American novels, I'd recommend looking even further backward in time! There's always a precursor.

Yea sure but mako and I were going back and forth about American novels for a while, so that was still my train of thought. You know I love Tristram Shandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back