• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT142: Back to the grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was really good. our waiter was great and timed out our dishes really well. we got some super creamy mozzarella burrata appetizer with bread and it definitely made me reconsider its lack of inclusion in my oft-considered but not-posted "if you could only have 2 cheeses" decision. then bacon wrapped dates. lamb kebabs. charred baby eggplants. some crazy good short ribs that I don't see on the menu. lemon tart for dessert. really yummy pinot noir along with it all.

there are a bunch more things that I'd love to try there so I definitely want to go back.

thanks. sounds pretty solid. definitely going to have to check it out.

this is long but kinda interesting

not sure why kelsey grammar is there

Reading Washingtonian Magazine's restaurant critic chat and this just came up:

A while ago I asked for a recommendation for my daughter's 18th birthday.

I said that she was such a foodie that when a college asked for her for a top ten list she sent her 10 yummiest dishes. You said that you would love to see the list but worried that it might be too flip for a college essay. I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want to upset her with the idea she had submitted a bad essay choice. We thought it would be OK since it was only one the 7 short essays, in addition to longer ones that she had to submit to Wake Forest.

Fortunately, she got in and will be attending in the fall. I am attaching the list while asking for a recommendation for her graduation dinner. The only limits on the recommendation are: less expensive than a place like Cityzen with a number of good choices that are not red meat. She wanted you to know that while she loves all the dishes listed, the list was created, as so many lists are, to show balance among cuisines, locations and price points:

Top 10 Yummiest Foods I’ve Ever Eaten

1. Cardinal Sin at Ted Drew's in St. Louis, Missouri

2. Eggplant Ruben at DGS in Washington, DC

3. Chopped Liver Sandwich at Katz Deli in New York, New York

4. Peking Duck Nachos at Dragonfly in San Juan, Puerto Rico

5. Le saumon dans sa robe croustillante, sauce homardine at L'auberge Chez Français in Great Falls, VA

6. Palak Chaat at Rasika in Washington, DC

7. Banh Min at Nhu Lan sandwich shop in Falls Church, Virginia

8. Sweet Potato Fries at Zola in Washington, DC

9. Mona Lisa Sandwich at Earl's Sandwiches in Arlington, Virginia

10. I Can't Believe it's Vegan cupcakes at Baked and Wired cupcakes in Washington, DC

Todd Kliman:

First of all, please tell her how much I like her list. She’s an eater after my own heart.

And please also offer my congratulations on getting into Wake Forest.

Interesting to see Ted Drew’s at no. 1, but I completely understand. They’re amazing. The gang at DGS will be thrilled, I’m sure, to be the first food item on here. The palaak chaat at Rasika is interesting and memorable, and would probably wind up on many a top 10 in this area. Neat to see Earl in there along with Nhu Lan, which I think is one of the two best spots to get a banh mi. Zola is gone, but evidently something still lingers. L’Auberge! Still making memories! I’m sure the crew there will be delighted to see this. And what does it say that a vegan cupcake makes a top 10 — pretty high praise for Baked and Wired.

As for a suitable place to go to celebrate the big news, you might want to consider Fiola Mare, which you can do for less than CityZen (and which also has some terrific views, if you’re lucky to get one of those tables). Central Michel Richard didn’t make it onto that list, but maybe a meal there would force her to nudge something off. It’s not as expensive as either Fiola Mare or CityZen, and I think it’d be both delicious and festive-feeling.

Let me know where you end up, and how things turn out.

#MillennialBullshit #NoSAT

anyone have any experiences with pickling? worth the hassle?

i've never thought of pickling to be a hassle... ? my grandma makes some kickass sweet baby dills, and my girl scout leader makes amazing bread and butter chips.
what you should do is make refrigerator pickles (super easy) and just modify the recipe to make awesome flavors by adding in fancy vinegars/peppers/etc.

HERE'S A LIST OF THINGS I LIKE! COLLEGE!

i hope there was a link to her instagram pic of each food item

Pretty sure "top ten list" was one of my short essay questions, too... and all it says is that: "What is your Top 10?"

I brought a nice salad for lunch and naturally someone ordered pizza for the office. must resist.

I really really want ramen from the sushi place across the street (their once a month special), but I got in at 11, and have to leave by 5 to get my car. Hmm. Wondering if I can swing this.

Oh, and this year's vacations:

Jan 24-26 : NC
April 19 : day trip to Hood River (I'm counting it because it felt like a vacation)
May 1-6 : Jason's dad and dad's wife are here visiting PDX
May 9-12 : Big brother and wifey are here visiting PDX
May 16-18 : I'm in DC/MD for a wedding
June 24-29 : Asheville, NC for J's sister's wedding
July 2-9 : My parents are here visiting PDX
August sometime: one of J's buddies is coming out to visit
Labor day-ish : My little bro and his gf are coming out to visit PDX
October 11-19 : J and are headed to NC for a wedding

... so yeah, we aren't really going anywhere on vacation, exactly, just wedding trips and hosting lots of people here. we'll probably try to sneak in some camping somewhere this summer.

I like the 'Top Ten List' thing. It's so open for interpretation that I bet they get a lot of interesting results.

I like the 'Top Ten List' thing. It's so open for interpretation that I bet they get a lot of interesting results.

yeah, i don't remember what mine were. I don't think I put a theme to them at all, just 10 of my favorite things. i wonder if I still have hte FLOPPY DISK i saved my college essays to... though i think I hand-wrote Wake's.
I would LOVE to be an essay reader.

Submitting a top ten list of why Jeffrey [Redacted] should be fired, should have been an automatic admission this year

I was at my parents' a couple weeks ago, helping my Mom with something on AOL (hahaha) and I nudged into a shelf and it knocked over a whole pile of little floppy disks. Then underneath was a folder with my handwriting and I looked in it and found handwritten copies of my AOL/AIM buddy lists. Also a list of all my screen names from over the years. It was odd how many people I could still identify from their screen names.

From the Women's Center Director thread, by ThinkingWithMyDeac:

Keeper the Troll is risen today, Alleluia!
Posters and Lurkers in chorus say, Alleluia!
Raise your insults and neg reps high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye lurkers, and posters reply, Alleluia!

Troll's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the e-war won, Alleluia!
Single Thread in vain forbids him rise, Alleluia!
Troll has returned no more paradise , Alleluia!

Lives again our glorious Troll, Alleluia!
Where, O neg rep, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once he banned our board to save, Alleluia!
Where's thy victory, from troll cave? Alleluia!

Soar we now where Keeper has led, Alleluia!
Following our troll figurehead, Alleluia!
Made like him, like him we troll, Alleluia!
Ours the post, the reps, we dole, Alleluia!

Hail the Lord of trolls and Old White Guys, Alleluia!
Praise to thee all that we despise, Alleluia!
Thee we insult triumphant now, Alleluia!
Curse the Resurrection, thou, Alleluia!

King of baiting posts, keeper of the abyss, Alleluia!
Everlasting trolling is this, Alleluia!
Thee to know, thy power to flaunt, Alleluia!
Thus to neg rep, and thus to taunt, Alleluia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back