• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTCT: Featuring the Human Selfie Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like if I was going to refuse my kid a phone up until or IN High School, I would feel like a major hypocrite unless I also set an example and got rid of my smart phone too.... and therein lies the problem. Maybe it will be easier once TikTok is banned 😂

why would you feel like a hypocrite? parenting is basically nothing but setting boundaries that don't apply to the parents

I feel like if I was going to refuse my kid a phone up until or IN High School, I would feel like a major hypocrite unless I also set an example and got rid of my smart phone too.... and therein lies the problem. Maybe it will be easier once TikTok is banned 😂
Not sure I understand.

Not sure I understand.

Smart phones are such an integrated part of society and pretty much everywhere you go people are using them all the time (to make posts, to look up information on the fly, to plan events, to keep up with breaking news). To deny a High Schooler that much functionality would definitely be imposing some limitations on their ability to do stuff and participate in society.

To do that to them would be to acknowledge that I think the evils of smart phone usage and social media outweigh the pros, and yet I would still be using mine every day. It would almost feel like rubbing it in their face. IDK.

Parenting is setting boundaries that don't apply to parents, for sure, but I feel like High School in particular is where those boundaries start to get tested and mistakes are made and they start to become adults. My parents had reasonable rules in HS (not that I tested much, I was a nerd and overall good kid), but I don't know that there is a good parallel for when I was in HS, but I would have resented if my parents wouldn't let me watch any TV but got to watch all the Real World they wanted in the next room.

anecdotally, it seems like more people in my small cohort are rejecting Kid Phones idea

kid smart watches, however are very popular. our 2nd grade teacher had to tell parents to leave them at home b/c they're so disruptive

But my mom eventually did have to take my computer away because it was consuming my life and I hated her for it at the time. My parents were divorced so then I'd spend every other weekend with my dad and it'd just be a 36 hour marathon to get back up the cases ladder in Command and Conquer

almost all of the tools for parents are aimed at monitoring internet usage; the bullying/interaction piece is almost ungovernable. kids can be dicks over texts and even edit them so that no one can see what was said.

i have heard that song a million times but a) i hate it and it empirically sucks, and b) i couldn't have told you it was warren zevon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back