• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTXXXIV – We’ve got all the social media we need right here

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may not be doing it BECAUSE of oppression but voting that way makes it clear that they are okay with oppression as long as it means they get lower taxes or less government regulation or whatever it is they are actually voting for
False.

I mean...what is false about this? If you're voting for Candidate A who you believe will lower taxes, but they are racist, you're condoning their racism because it benefits your taxes. That's accepting oppression and also a very privileged place to be.

I mean...what is false about this? If you're voting for Candidate A who you believe will lower taxes, but they are racist, you're condoning their racism because it benefits your taxes. That's accepting oppression and also a very privileged place to be.
Voting for someone isn't a wholesale endorsement of their platform. That's asinine.

Do you really believe that everyone that votes opposite of you is doing it because of oppression and denial of your right to exist?

I despise politicians for this very reason. They have become experts at marketing emotional hot buttons in order to gain power and money. I don't know most of y'all or where you're from, so I don't know the people you know. I just wonder how many "regular" people you talk to or interact with. Obviously there are people (especially on the right) that are loud and proud and super ignorant in a lot of their stances. Most of them can be seen with a giant flag on the back of their truck. I just don't think that your everyday, run of the mill, rural, blue collar, republican is this evil oppressive boogeyman that they are made out to be.

It's more than just "you're a republican/democrat" so that defines our relationship. I have plenty of good relationships and friendships with folks with whom I disagree politically. We can disagree on tax policy, the role of government, even issues that I am passionate about such immigration because there is a lot of complexity there.

AND

I have a kid who's trans. If you support Greg Abbott or Ron DeSantis or plan on voting for Mark Robinson for governor, I will find it very difficult to be friends with you, because you don't value the safety of my family enough to impact your voting.

Voting for someone isn't a wholesale endorsement of their platform. That's asinine.
obviously. That is kind of the point. That person is priotizing the parts of the platform they want (lower taxes, less regulation) and allowing the cruel fascist parts of the platform to move forward because they are tied to the things they want. So again, they are saying they are okay with the maga bullshit as long as it gets them what they want.

No, but every topic on the platform is not equal.

If you agree with everything that Candidate A does from a business/taxes/capitalism standpoint, but they are racist, and you vote for them, then you are 100% saying that you condone their racism because the other stuff balances it out enough to garner your vote.

I think that we have officially driven off all political dissent at this point if we are arguing on the Chat Thread whether or not it's ok to be friends with a Republican.

Yeah, you may not endorse it but you accept it, that’s the point. You can’t look beyond whatever niche policy x you do support that also results in y if y is something absolutely awful or the person themself is an awful human being. You also can’t use the excuse that you just didn’t know because you actively made an effort to vote, which does take some effort.

Ok, guys, for real. Please take emotion out of it. We're smart people with logic.

I want smaller government.
I want strong second amendment rights.
I want States rights reserved to states.
I want near universal freedom of speech, other than obscenity and incitement of violence.
I want fair and free elections.
I don't like war, but don't mind aggressive foreign policy (stop fucking drone striking).
I want maximum liberty and minimal laws passed that are justified by safety concerns.
I want large monopolies to be busted.

I don't give a shit about: healthcare, abortion, immigration, or corporations.

I vote libertarian at every chance I get. When I don't have an L to vote for, which box should I be checking?

Serious question. Unlike so many others, I have demonstrated a history of active listening and willingness to change my position.

Step 1 quit your job because your entire career is a lie if you identify as libertarian but work for the government.

I mean, the fact that you don't care about healthcare, abortion, or immigration must be super nice.

I can't tell you what to care and not care about, but I think, once again, you're coming from a very privileged viewpoint to not have to care about those things.

You don't HAVE to care about those things because your rights aren't the ones that are up for discussion, which I guess makes sense as to why you then care strongly about things like 2A.

I honestly don't have a great answer and this goes back to the discussion we were having on the political chat thread of the viability/dangers/inevitability, etc. of a two party system. There's no room for nuance in our current system. Because in the current climate, you have to sign off on a lot of shit you may not care about or actively disagree with to get what you want.
It's also why I view voting as harm reduction, not necessarily as any sort or progress or hope. I think the whole system is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back