• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cultural capitalism sucks

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
http://eater.com/archives/2014/09/16/whole-foods-is-struggling-who-knew.php

Whole Foods is struggling, which sucks. They have the best employment practices of any big grocery chain, their supply chain is responsibly sourced, and their corporate ethos is admirable. The issue is that these ideals don't scale well against cost-cutting competitors.

This saddens me, and leads me back to a video I've watched a lot.

Thoughts?

Two things: 1) education is really lacking to support better products so they just for the cheapest items; 2) economic inequality - if middle and lower class are not making enough to support better products, they opt for the cheapest items.

Two things: 1) education is really lacking to support better products so they just for the cheapest items; 2) economic inequality - if middle and lower class are not making enough to support better products, they opt for the cheapest items.

#2 really exposes the perverse incentive schemes about macro food agriculture in the US. Local food from small farms should be cheaper than far away food on massive industrial farms, but it's the opposite.

Why should food produced with more expensive products and in smaller volumes be cheaper?

This issue needs some Market Basket - style action

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2014/08/28/market-basket-the-return-of-boomer-activism/

Arthur T. ran Market Basket with a straightforward and progressive management philosophy: treat its 25,000 employees (and customers) with respect and attention; promote from within; provide great pay and retirement benefits and continually invest in your staff. As a result, he developed an extraordinarily devoted workforce of people who grew up at the company and remained for decades and took great pride in making the stores so successful.

Over time, though, Arthur T.’s pension programs and above-market salaries were criticized by the board, who felt such generosity depressed shareholder dividends. On June 23, the board ultimately voted to remove Arthur T. as president.
That’s when the chain’s employees — many of them boomers — rose up in revolt. Some went on strike; others played key roles in protests including rallies attended by thousands.

Customers stopped shopping at Market Basket and suppliers could no longer deliver new products. In short, the company came to a near halt, with business down by 90 percent and losses of an estimated 10 million dollars a day.

Market Basket’s employees — and the thousands of customers who joined their movement — didn’t want to bring down the chain. They just wanted Arthur T. back in charge. This was an unprecedented twist to the history of job actions in America, typically initiated by employees seeking more money and better working conditions.

Market Basket’s activist boomers, I believe, helped reinvigorate a needed debate about corporate stewardship and whether management’s primary financial path should be a focus on short-term dividends to shareholders or on additional investments in growth, employee pay and benefits to develop a stable and loyal workforce.

They also brought back the concept of corporate responsibility as a critical part of the conversation about business success. For decades, corporate responsibility has been discredited by a narrow focus on shareholder value as the marker of a company’s worth.

Yeah that's been a huge deal up here (and was the fact pattern for my labor law final - not exciting) and has opened a dialogue about corporate responsibility in the marketplace. Fascinating interplay of a lot of topics

Thinking about the long-term effects is uncool, or the secondary effects of business practices. That shit doesn't get you laid.

Would Gordon Gekko or Jordan Belfort give a fuck about any of this?

Last edited:

Meh, the whole organic food thing for the most part is complete marketing bullshit.

Whole Foods is struggling, which sucks. They have the best employment practices of any big grocery chain, their supply chain is responsibly sourced, and their corporate ethos is admirable. The issue is that these ideals don't scale well against cost-cutting competitors.

Thoughts?

So wait a minute ... now you are against the fact that stores like Food Lion and Costco are able to bring the same "organic" (again, mostly marketing bullshit) foods to a much wider market at a much lower price, thus lowering Whole Foods grip on the market? How does this jive with your opposition of food deserts? It sounds like the market is doing exactly what you want it to do, providing fresh food to many more people at a lower cost. Or are organic foods only to be reserved for those willing/able to pay $6 for a bottle of apple juice? You can't have it both ways.

I don't think organic was the only quality of Whole Foods' business that Townie liked. If it even was one

maybe whole foods would get more support if they spent less money on making their stores look fancy as fuck and charging more than competitors for the same products

So wait a minute ... now you are against the fact that stores like Food Lion and Costco are able to bring the same "organic" (again, mostly marketing bullshit) foods to a much wider market at a much lower price, thus lowering Whole Foods grip on the market? How does this jive with your opposition of food deserts? It sounds like the market is doing exactly what you want it to do, providing fresh food to many more people at a lower cost. Or are organic foods only to be reserved for those willing/able to pay $6 for a bottle of apple juice? You can't have it both ways.

I assume you didn't watch the video then. The issue with making people buy into an ethos when they buy products is that it enables the system to perpetuate the underlying problems that ethos tries to address. Whether that be responsible farming practices or responsible corporate practices, each are good unto themselves, but when you commoditize them, you're enabling the system to continue to do the wrong thing. It's a challenging concept, I know.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure Wegmans has the best employment practices but I could be wrong.

Geez, people from up north think Wegmans has the best everything.

I assume you didn't watch the video then. The issue with making people buy into an ethos when they buy products is that it enables the system to perpetuate the underlying problems that ethos tries to address. Whether that be responsible farming practices or responsible corporate practices, each are good unto themselves, but when you commoditize them, you're enabling the system to continue to do the wrong thing. It's a challenging concept, I know.

What ethos was someone made to buy into when they bought the dork machine that wrote this?

maybe whole foods would get more support if they spent less money on making their stores look fancy as fuck and charging more than competitors for the same products

whole foods has some of the best brand loyalty of any major brand; the issue isn't "getting more support," it's that ethos doesn't scale

so, i understand the issue but I'm not clear on your issue with it. Are you sad that we don't shop at Whole Foods and we should b/c they have great a 'ethos and work practices'? Or are you sad that Whole Foods is the king of lifestyle marketing or "cultural commercialization" and it makes everyone jaded to it?

so, i understand the issue but I'm not clear on your issue with it. Are you sad that we don't shop at Whole Foods and we should b/c they have great a 'ethos and work practices'? Or are you sad that Whole Foods is the king of lifestyle marketing or "cultural commercialization" and it makes everyone jaded to it?

Both, which is vexing and paradoxical.

I'm sad because pragmatically and practically and in every sense of the real world we live in, Whole Foods does things right. For that I want to see them succeed. Practically speaking, if they went under, access to good, responsibly sourced food would drop for many people in America, and the companies prepared to step in would be a Wal-Mart type store that does everything wrong. That's sad on an easy to understand level, even if you disagree with me, at least you know what I mean.

The idealistic part, where we could go back to the time of the neighborhood grocer, like the ones who got families through the depression on credit, who take their crops from the field to the shelves, is exactly that, idealistic. And while places like WF and Wegman's, and even some other big places who have put good food on their shelves are supportive of it on a micro, community supported scale, the entire corporate structure by definition keeps it from scaling to a macro level. So that makes me sad too.

It's a tough thing, nuance. As for the "organic" argument, I couldn't care less if my food is labeled as "organic." It's an entire boutique industry unto itself that does more damage than good, by driving up the cost to consumers for doing things the right way.

/hipster goes emo

Back