• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Current Wake Forest Course: Classics Beyond Whiteness

who the fuck is taking classics classes at WFU
I was a Classics minor. Took the aforementioned BANGER of a class Greek Myth with Dr. Powell as a literature divisional, and I took two semesters of Greek when I thought I was headed to Div School. It’s a great department full of amazing people.

I was a Classics minor. Took the aforementioned BANGER of a class Greek Myth with Dr. Powell as a literature divisional, and I took two semesters of Greek when I thought I was headed to Div School. It’s a great department full of amazing people.
Asked and answered

Asked and answered
But seriously I had great classes with several profs in the department. I appreciate the effort to keep Classical scholarship relevant.

I was a Religious Studies major, so I got some work classes there too. Both fields of study deal a lot with how dominant cultures like to be perceived. In my experience, folks could either handle looking critically at that or not.

This may be wrong because it’s been years, but I’m pretty sure Wake had a diversity requirement like 15 years ago. That’s why I took, “gender issues as seen through African American literature”. Woke Forest nothing new here!

Hilarious, and wouldn't surprise me if they did. College is increasingly useless in its curriculum offerings, so this is nothing new. It is what somebody wants to make of it. If you want to take a class about whiteness or whatever, it's not like that's going to add to your skillset in life. It's probably an easy A for athletes and people who nod their heads and agree with the prof. Wouldn't be the first time a class was made for that purpose. A bunch of people took Anthony Parent's AAS class for the easy A at Wake. They did it at UNC for at least 20 years.

They had the women's studies stuff making inroads into college curriculums in the 80s. I seem to recall the staff at Wake was a bunch of angry lesbians. I think I had one teach one of my English lit classes. When she wasn't boring us with Ezra Pound's shitty prose, she was harping on Whitman's sexuality or some kind of feminist subtext that she was reading into everything. Another useless class where that is the only thing I remember, rather than the literature.

But there were a lot of those. Shit, I was a history major, so a lot of stuff there that was interesting but not particularly practical, except for the whole understanding history thing.

I and everybody else bitched about the philosophy requirement back then. In retrospect, it was a useful and practical class. I couldn't tell you what the various philosophers thought now all these years later (and probably couldn't a year after the class either), but it made students engage in critical thinking.

Understanding whiteness is pretty important in this country.

The actual trust fund kids i met at Wake were a) not liberal, b) wished they got into Duke and cheer for them so c) are most certainly not posting on this pile of shit message board.

Shit, I was a history major, so a lot of stuff there that was interesting but not particularly practical, except for the whole understanding history thing.

I and everybody else bitched about the philosophy requirement back then. In retrospect, it was a useful and practical class. I couldn't tell you what the various philosophers thought now all these years later (and probably couldn't a year after the class either), but it made students engage in critical thinking.

You finally got it just about right at the end of your rant about why the humanities are stupid

I'd put our message board up against any other ACC school, far superior experience here than any other forums I've stumbled across in my years.

Sure, but our message board is filled with the student loan kids of wake. None of the rich kids have the time for this nonsense

Back