• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Current Wake Forest Course: Classics Beyond Whiteness

tweet from a UChicago student where they have a class called something like "the problem with whiteness" or something where he says white people at UChicago have become "second class citizens" lol

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think DiAngelo is a stellar example of the latest and greatest scholarship on the topic.

I wouldn’t know.

But just googling “what is white fragility” it at appears she coined the term and that New Yorker piece was near the top and seemed a possibly decent primer with no immediate paywall for someone asking the question.

The field of classics is also ultra-white and its objects of study have long been appropriated and misinterpreted by white supremacists. there's an exigency here even beyond the whiteness of the institution

Most of my friends majored in different things so that Classical Epic class was one of the few that majority of us were able to take together. We had a lot of fun doing study sessions for that class.

It’s kind of sad to know he’s retired and not teaching there anymore. If I had been asked in high school, what I thought a great college professor would be I think I would have described something pretty close to Dr. Powell.

I liked this article about him. https://magazine.wfu.edu/2013/10/02/latin-influence/

Ranger, if it makes you feel any better, the classics faculty now is comprised of incredible teachers. Like much, much more thoughtful and talented teachers than Powell was.

I’m sure they’re fine. I just took the one class in the department and really liked him and the class.

But seriously I had great classes with several profs in the department. I appreciate the effort to keep Classical scholarship relevant.

I was a Religious Studies major, so I got some work classes there too. Both fields of study deal a lot with how dominant cultures like to be perceived. In my experience, folks could either handle looking critically at that or not.
Greek Myth was amazing

And I will echo your experience in Religious Studies and Classics. Students who came in willing to learn and be open minded thrived. Those who didn’t struggled. (The irony of course being that Classical education is designed to actually teach critical nuanced thought, which is a fun argument I used to get into with parents when I taught at a classical school)

Greek Myth was amazing

And I will echo your experience in Religious Studies and Classics. Students who came in willing to learn and be open minded thrived. Those who didn’t struggled. (The irony of course being that Classical education is designed to actually teach critical nuanced thought, which is a fun argument I used to get into with parents when I taught at a classical school)

That's great. I'm sure they thought Classical school would be great for their kids without thinking through what any of that actually meant beyond the first paragraph of the school description. Was this a charter or magnet school or something ?

Only because the best one left the ACC.
Toogs I love you but your boards has a disease.
That's great. I'm sure they thought Classical school would be great for their kids without thinking through what any of that actually meant beyond the first paragraph of the school description. Was this a charter or magnet school or something ?
private school that I am pretty sure the parents founded to be some sort of bubble, only to realize that hiring teachers in the classic tradition meant their kids would come home as free thinkers…whoopsie

Our board software has a disease. Our community is amazing and welcomes all. I assume that's what you meant.

Back