• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Curry signs with The Giants

My favorite AC game was the one vs UNC 2007 - 41-17? He had 2 picks - one for a TD. And harrassed Freshman TJ YATES all day. Glorious day.

AC was a beast that day, no doubt. I remember him jumping over some poor Hole to get in on a sack.

That was also the game when Marion returned a KO for a TD with no one anywhere near him.

Fun days. Back when we used to, you know, win stuff.

Aaron Curry: I was selfish and self-centered in Seattle

When linebacker Aaron Curry went fourth overall to the Seahawks in the 2009 draft, analysts hailed the Seahawks for selecting a player who was considered the safest bet for stardom at the top of that year’s draft.

Things never worked out that way. Curry was ineffective with the Seahawks and wound up being traded to the Raiders in 2011. Things didn’t get any better in Oakland and Curry signed for the veteran minimum with the Giants this year. That may be a good thing for Curry’s chances of turning his career around because he admitted Wednesday that the $60 million contract he signed as a rookie wound up taking away his motivation to play his best.

“I knew I could do it,” Curry said, via Tom Pedulla of the New York Times. “I knew I would do it. At the time, I wasn’t motivated to do it. Football wasn’t my top priority, to be honest. I think earlier in my career I was real selfish and self-centered. I was more about me than the Seahawks.”

Curry copped to not playing at full speed if there was a defensive call that didn’t cater to his strengths, a trait that helped him fail to live up to the lofty predictions that accompanied his entry to the NFL. A knee injury in Oakland dropped the opinion of Curry even further, leaving him to try to rehabilitate his career with the Giants.

Motivation shouldn’t be a problem for Curry, who also acknowledged that he’s overweight right now, if he wants to continue playing in the NFL since suitors will be slim if he fails with a third team in five years. If he isn’t able to make things happen now, it’s hard to imagine it’s ever going to happen for him.

Aaron Curry: I was selfish and self-centered in Seattle

“I knew I could do it,” Curry said, via Tom Pedulla of the New York Times. “I knew I would do it. At the time, I wasn’t motivated to do it. Football wasn’t my top priority, to be honest. I think earlier in my career I was real selfish and self-centered. I was more about me than the Seahawks.”

Strange, I thought he was all about Jesus Christ and Carolina.

So again, you are fine with hurting current Wake student athletes. And that makes you a great and passionate deac fan. But we should hate curry, and not you.

This is a really stupid argument. I mean I probably don't need to say why, but I will anyway. First, television revenues are up significantly which will help cover any deficit (but cutting donations is still effective since I would imagine that donation rates are a KPI for Ron and the greater department). Second, scholarships are the last thing to be cut. First thing would be the facility improvements (which mostly focus around the fan experience..not important if we don't have fans / the product is unbearable). Second would be the exorbitant salaries of administrators or coaches (which again doesn't affect athletes since most of these people aren't very good at their jobs).

Nice try at claiming the moral high ground, but it just isn't there.

As far as Curry, I am ambivalent. He doesn't owe us anything, we don't owe him anything. It was a mutually beneficial transaction. It could be a mutually beneficial relationship as well, but clearly he doesn't want that.

Made $34 Million in Seattle/Oakland and will now be making less than $1MM a year in NY

Karma?

So Curry got paid and lost his motivation to win. Familiar story in Wake football.

So Curry got paid and lost his motivation to win. Familiar story in Wake football.

And admits to loafing and pouting on plays if he didn't think a defensive call fit his strengths. Good decision dude. Wow.

Remember that love letter to football he wrote before the draft?

If you saw the ESPN film "Broke", you can see how that first paycheck turns these guys into dillusional jerks.

As a Seahawks Season ticket holder who watched Curry steal money from the Seahawks I have a hard time wishing him the best. I kind of hope he gets to take plays off for the rest of his career.

I absolutely fucking hate every time a professional athlete "mans up" and admits that he just wasn't focused on his job while under a $60M contract. I don't know if that makes you a bigger asshole or dumbass. I think both.

So why are there Wake fans pissed at AC? There's just not that many times we will have a football player who is the "safest bet for stardom" in the draft--and of course he's an epic bust because his mind is somewhere else. WTF. We give him shit for it, but I'm glad he made everyone in the country think he when to UNC.

Last edited:
Back