• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Curt Schilling is awesome

If you choose to follow somebody on Twitter, you are following their life. What's the difference between that and friending somebody on Facebook who also posts shit about their day to day life? That he is a public figure does not matter. Twitter gives these fools the option to connect with famous people, to be cyber jock sniffers. That doesn't give them the right to be asshats. Somebody handing out flyers about his life is just a fucking weirdo.

I'm afraid that the internet absolutely gives people the forum to be asshats, and there is no difference in the FB scenario you mentioned. What these guys did was shitty and despicable, I have agreed all along. But what the fuck was Schilling expecting from the goddamned internet?

I am mystified by people thinking the internet is anything more high-minded than the wild West. Think of the sleaziest place you have ever been. It's that x10. There are some great things on the internet and I love it, but I just go ahead and assume that the lowest of the lowest characters in the world are who reads and sees everything I do on the internet, and then I go from there.

So if I were to get a twitter account and a bunch of people I have never met start following me and I post that my daughter did ANYTHING, I would expect as least one poster to say "yeh I fucked her" or something shitty. And when they did, I would be a big boy and and take it and learn a valuable lesson about the internet.

i never disagreed with "the internet lets people be assholes"

my problem is when people just shrug shoulders at it, ESPECIALLY when someone calls someone out in a way that's not really douchey just "hey, you guys are dicks and there are consequences to being dicks". it's just lazy.

in no other arena of public life do we accept that. and on twitter/facebook we use real names (most of the time), so it's not even anonymous

Everyone should just be their WIN login name and then we'll see whats up

my problem is when people just shrug shoulders at it, ESPECIALLY when someone calls someone out in a way that's not really douchey just "hey, you guys are dicks and there are consequences to being dicks". it's just lazy.

in no other arena of public life do we accept that. and on twitter/facebook we use real names (most of the time), so it's not even anonymous

Except when people accuse other people of rape

You are making my point. Facebook and Twitter and the internet aren't sacred. Just because they are wildly popular means of communication doesn't mean shit. They are just internet software, thats it. It is up to you as the software consumer to use them in a way that suits your ability to deal with assholes and meanies. If you can't deal with them, its not the software for you.

Schilling should know that even moreso than the average person. He is a celebrity and has been one for a long time. He should know he has many haters. Im not sympathetic to the guys who flamed him and his daughter, but Im not sympathetic to him either.

You are making my point. Facebook and Twitter and the internet aren't sacred. Just because they are wildly popular means of communication doesn't mean shit. They are just internet software, thats it. It is up to you as the software consumer to use them in a way that suits your ability to deal with assholes and meanies. If you can't deal with them, its not the software for you.

Schilling should know that even moreso than the average person. He is a celebrity and has been one for a long time. He should know he has many haters. Im not sympathetic to the guys who flamed him and his daughter, but Im not sympathetic to him either.

i mean, we have laws and cops in 'real life' to enforce consequences of being assholes. also, society just has an expectation that you're not going to be a shithead in most public places or you get booted. but for some reason, you're holding the internet as a sacred space where we should ignore those expectations bc.....it's harder to enforce?

we have TOS here and we ban assholes all the time and it makes for a better place even though it's the internet!!111

The asshat burden should not be on Schilling, but on the asshats. These are public forums, and people need to learn how to behave in public. If we continued to follow Bake's rationale, we'd never leave our house.

Are you sympathetic towards Schilling's daughter?

Are you sympathetic towards Schilling's daughter?

Sure, but Curt should be sympathetic enough to his daughter to know that when he posts some unimportant BS about her on Twitter that she's gonna get flamed.

does it occur to anyone that when we just shrug shoulders at the expectation of flaming and condemn people for calling out assholes it only reinforces the environment where assholes prevail?

i mean, we have laws and cops in 'real life' to enforce consequences of being assholes. also, society just has an expectation that you're not going to be a shithead in most public places or you get booted. but for some reason, you're holding the internet as a sacred space where we should ignore those expectations bc.....it's harder to enforce?

we have TOS here and we ban assholes all the time and it makes for a better place even though it's the internet!!111

cops? what the hell are you talking about? You are getting a little carried away here, Cap'n.

There are decency laws and assault laws that are enforced by police. I'm not aware of an asshole law, but some assholish activities are covered in those laws. But being an asshole on the internet is not a crime.

It's not that I am holding it sacred, I am merely dealing with reality. I'm not living in your fantasy world of expectations that people aren't assholes, as I explained in my previous posts.

You should stay here in the lily-white confines of this message board that has decency regulations built in. You obviously aren't cut out for the rest of the internet world.

Think of it this way - this board is like the quad at Wake Forest. The rest of the internet is like a whore house in Calcutta.

Last edited:
does it occur to anyone that when we just shrug shoulders at the expectation of flaming and condemn people for calling out assholes it only reinforces the environment where assholes prevail?

sure. But choose your forum wisely.

Would you stand here:

Soi_Cowboy_-_Bangkok.jpg

and expect to not be flamed and for decency to prevail and get your feelings hurt when someone disrespected you?

yeah, certain places are ridiculous in real life as they are on the internet.

it's not like Schilling was posting on a reddit subforum.

Of course, she is the ONLY one I am sympathetic to.

Thanks. I was trying to find out if you thought
1) "It's the internet, what do you expect?"
2) "It's the internet & he's a celebrity, what do you expect?" or
3) "It's the internet & he's a celebrity with a bunch of haters, what do you expect?"

you people have strange expectations about the internet. And society. Have you people been anywhere and met anyone?

Thanks. I was trying to find out if you thought
1) "It's the internet, what do you expect?"
2) "It's the internet & he's a celebrity, what do you expect?" or
3) "It's the internet & he's a celebrity with a bunch of haters, what do you expect?"

I agree, Schilling did nothing wrong by posting an innocuous shout out to his kid. #3 all the way.

I've tried to explain it for 4 pages. The internet is the lowest common denominator. The worst people in the world can get on it very cheaply and say horrible things to you if you avail yourself to them.

Back