• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

They're dropping it $15 and recommending folks buy the Disney Bundle for $14. It includes Disney+, ESPN+, and basic Hulu.

This is the exact same thing NBCUniversal tried to do - raise prices on YTTV because they're the most popular streaming platform to something higher than either cable or their own individual subscription.

YTTV did the same thing then - drop the price below the asking price for the separate service. NBC caved.

I think there are more issues with this dispute though, since the NBCUniversal content was identical to the YTTV channel content. Disney's ESPN+ subscription still doesn't cover everything that your "local" provider would on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. Not exactly sure how big that delta is, but it does exist from what I can see. Now, how many actual events would you really miss? Who knows.

NBC had to back off because their streaming service blows. For providers without live TV, these moves are guaranteed failures. But Hulu has a paid live tier competing with YTTV, so maybe it sticks. Probably depends on how deeply Disney has screwed itself by giving away so many free Disney Bundle deals. Cell phones, streaming devices - hell if you ordered over $20 in Domino's pizza I think you got a year of the Disney bundle for free...

They are jacking up the price on Hulu Live this month though. Considering YTTV is a better platform it's probably the only way they can compete.

Part of the reason I've stuck with Youtube TV over Hulu Live is that YTTV lets you fast forward through commercials and Hulu always made me stop and watch every commercial break. Anyone use Hulu and know if that still the case?

It is a huge frustration I must say. Can’t easily watch a game after the fact. You can skip some but not all of them.

I like everything else about Hulu. How much are they raising the rates?

Is Sling TV still a decent option if YTTV drops ESPN? I am not going back to watching every commercial break on Hulu.

this is all super bad timing as I was about ready to drop DirecTV this weekend and move to YTTV. I assume it'll work itself out, but I assume YTTV is gonna come with another price hike.

What's the purpose of having a streaming/cable service that doesn't allow you to skip commercials? That's absurd.

If it weren't for sports, I would never need Sling/Fubo/Hulu Live/YouTube TV. What are you guys watching (that your significant other/kids aren't) on those platforms besides sports?

same -- only watch sports live

any one-off exceptions -- Presidential debate or something -- could be covered by an antenna

is fubo the way to go if YTTV loses ESPN?

Does Fubo have the regional sports networks? That might be the way to go.

If it weren't for sports, I would never need Sling/Fubo/Hulu Live/YouTube TV. What are you guys watching (that your significant other/kids aren't) on those platforms besides sports?

Good question. A few network TV shows that I could watch online the next day.

YTTV is simply the best aggregator platform. News, sports, tv shows, random surfing. On any TV, tablet, phone, and during travel.

Sure, there is a lot of stuff you could get elsewhere. But the experience sucks. I mean, almost every direct streaming option like Bravo or Comedy Central or whatever all have forced ads like Hulu. None offer easy, immediate, forever DVR capabilities. Most have suspect quality and crappy streaming tech. Now that YTTV is offering more 4k live sports and unlimited streams (ie. can share with one outside household pretty much), it's just a nice setup.

It's like getting MLB extra innings standalone vs. through YTTV. Standalone sucks, injected ads between innings that aren't skippable, poor streaming interface, spotty app support, etc. YTTV you literally hit record on a game and it asks if you want to record every game by that team. That's it - always available, fully ad-skippable, every baseball game you want.

Have to assume if Disney doesn't cave that they believe it'll drive folks to super expensive Hulu. Don't reward them for picking on the best service - switch to Fubu or something.

Yeah. The difference between NBA League Pass on YTTV vs. the NBA app is night and day.

Good point that this is about Disney driving people to Hulu. Disney owns a majority stake in Hulu.

i still like directv and judging from all the upheaval described here, it seems like i save some aggravation by keeping it.

Going to sign up for a Fubo trial to watch the Wake/VMI game tonight and give it a trial run in case YTTV drops the ESPN channels, since I can't watch Bally with YTTV anyway.

I feel like I do a lot less just random watching SVU marathons on the weekends since I went to YTTV compared to back when I had Time Warner

Part of the reason I've stuck with Youtube TV over Hulu Live is that YTTV lets you fast forward through commercials and Hulu always made me stop and watch every commercial break. Anyone use Hulu and know if that still the case?

Deal breaker for me

Direct TV Stream (formerly ATT TV) is the only streaming service in North Carolina that carries Bally Sports.

I checked that out yesterday. It's $69.99 for the base package and $15 more for RSNs.

Back