• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I didn’t say it was cheap. Basically 15 bucks for Hornets/Reds/Hurricanes games.

Reds?

Just making sure people know. Thankfully not having Bally for pro sports is just an annoyance for me and I can get around it for college. ESPN could care less about a VPN getting around a regional competitor.

Reds?

Just making sure people know. Thankfully not having Bally for pro sports is just an annoyance for me and I can get around it for college. ESPN could care less about a VPN getting around a regional competitor.

This. No idea why people find this such a dealbreaker.

Also DirecTV and Dish have both had big disputes with content providers. They're not immune. Honestly if your carrier isn't having the occasional stalemate on content pricing they're just ripping you off.

They’re probably ripping you off regardless. It’s just how much they’re paying on their end to do it.

I've enjoyed YTTV but losing RSN and the Disney package is enough for me. Spectrum has dropped their prices to within $10/month and they cover everything I enjoy.

One downside I’ve had with Spectrum streaming is that I was at the office when the game started last night, and because I wasn’t on Spectrum internet I couldn’t watch Bally Sports but because I’m in Atlanta ACCN+ had the event blacked out. Very very minor inconvenience.

Reds?

Yes! For some weird reason Reds baseball coverage territory includes about 3/4 Winston Salem so we get Bally Sports Ohio content. So with DirectTV Stream I get Sports South (Atlanta), Sports Carolinas, and Sports Ohio. I don’t know what the alternative to Ohio is, presumably Tennessee/Virginia

Last edited:
One downside I’ve had with Spectrum streaming is that I was at the office when the game started last night, and because I wasn’t on Spectrum internet I couldn’t watch Bally Sports but because I’m in Atlanta ACCN+ had the event blacked out. Very very minor inconvenience.

Try the Bally Sports app (authenticated with Spectrum login). I haven't used it since they rebranded from FSN, but back then you could get the games from your home market no matter where I was in the US. Same app.

Looks like we've got about 30 more minutes of ESPN on YouTubeTV. I haven't seen anything otherwise and I just saw another one of those Keep My ESPN ads.

If this is a game of chicken between regional sports networks and content distributers, I think the distributors are going to win. The RSNs have to reorganize and re-evaluate the value of their product. The RSNs have clearly lost their leverage over content distributors to subsidize their cost over every viewer, but attempting to keep charging that same value means the cost to RSN subscribers would be extremely expensive and cost prohibitive. So either the value has to be adjusted downward to reflect actual demand for sports broadcast access, or the RSNs have to reorganize in some way to actually command the value they are currently seeking.

ESPN shut off on YouTubeTV at 11:59 EST as promised. I've got to figure out what I'm going to do because my NBA League Pass and RedZone are through YouTubeTV.

So what's the word on Sling? $10 for the first month and $35 from there. The basic package has ABC/ESPN.

Last edited:
Here's the poof list:

Your local ABC channel
ABC News Live
Disney Channel
Disney Junior
Disney XD
Freeform
FX
FXX
FXM
National Geographic
National Geographic Wild
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app)
ESPNU
ESPNEWS
SEC Network
ACC Network

Yep, quite the quandary. Generally Disney is a garbage company policy-wise, and by attempting to overcharge YTTV they are simply trying to take advantage of its popularity, or in other words punish it for being good. This is the kind of behavior that will drive prices back to $100+ for the exact same content, so YTTV refusing to cave is a positive. Plus, tons of YTTV subscribers are also already subscribed to the Disney bundle with ESPN+ included so they're just making it harder to access content a lot of people were already paying twice for. Really don't want to reward that kind of shitty behavior, but live sports are one of the last reasons to even have a TV subscription.

Snag a free trial with Fubo or one of the other options, just don't go straight to ESPN/Disney or they'll just keep forcing more providers to drop their content.

At least we don’t need to worry about finding tv coverage for Wake bb because as usual we su…oh wait. Guess I’ll need to assess some new options

This looks like the start of a Disney power play to make ESPN live sports exclusive to cable and Hulu Live TV which is majority owned by Disney. I’m guessing all the other streamers have been served notice. YouTubeTV is the first domino.

In other words, Disney is trying to force us back to the old model and eliminate the choices we had in streaming.

When we got rid of YTTV and signed up for Spectrum we were able to start watching immediately using the App.

When we got rid of YTTV and signed up for Spectrum we were able to start watching immediately using the App.

We left Spectrum back in the day to move first to PS Vue, then YTTV, because of the steady rise in rates every 6 months. After leaving Spectrum, my husband was subjected to daily calls from Spectrum's overseas call center inviting him back. Will do without sports rather than ever return to Spectrum. Spectrum is the devil.

When you pay billions of dollars for college and pro sports, you probably want to make that money back. Content usually wins over the distributors and Disney is providing more content than almost anyone else. The reality is your MVPD providers have been getting a really good deal on that content for a long time and the consumer has benefitted from it. The dollars being paid for the sports rights fees have increased dramatically and that is going to come out of your pocket with price increases from your MVPD.

Back