• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Do we determine who caved by whether YTTV rates go up? If they announce price increase to $69.99 then they caved? If not, then Disney caved to angry advertisers who spent $$ on bowl advertising and not happy with the prospect of losing eyeballs?

I don’t think Disney would have caved before seeing if Hulu subscriptions went up.

They can also pay Disney more and not raise the prices (reducing their profits).

They could also cut a few channels on the backend.

I didn’t realize Disney had stake in Fubo too.

Makes sense that Disney wanted to undercut Google before raising Hulu prices. But Google benefits if they take the hit and don’t raise rates.

Since YTTV got ESPN back, I've been having my ESPN go black during some of those Ad Info spots. I have to change the channel and change back again to get the stream. Didn't have this problem before.

I see that some have complained about this problem before on certain Smart TV's, but I have a Roku stick.

Yeah. That's happened to me on my TV with a Roku stick and my TCL Roku.

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this - and I think this has been touched on before, but with the next couple of games coming on Bally regional sports channels, here goes:

I use YTTV (which means no Bally regional sports) and then also have ESPN+, and it appears that the Wake/FSU game (and several others coming up) are on Bally Florida Sports, so I am 99% sure that they will be blacked-out for me on ESPN+. Also, I want to watch the Rams/49ers game this weekend, and I am pretty sure that the Bucs game will be on here instead.

So - VPN is the way to get around this, right? I just want to do it on my laptop - not my whole network. So once set-up on my laptop, I would just pick something like Los Angeles as the server I log into/through for these games? And then ESPN+ would think that I was in a non-blackout area and show me the Wake games? And YTTV would think that I am visiting L.A. and give me their local Fox station station for the football game Sunday?

Are there VPNs that definitely work for both ESPN+ and YTTV? I was leaning toward VordVPN just based on some quick Google searches. Anyone have experience there? Any others? And/or anything else I need to know/realize?

We learned that YTTV does not restore Disney/ESPN channels to your custom line-up. It was referring us to ESPN programming in Home tab but it was missing from the Live tab. We had to log into YTTV on our browser, scroll to the bottom of available channels, re-check ESPN, ACCN, SECN and drag them from the bottom of the listing back to our sports grouping.

FreeVPN works for me. I use it on my tablet and watch the game on the ESPN app.

FreeVPN works for me. I use it on my tablet and watch the game on the ESPN app.

Do you just ping into a server that you are pretty sure isn't in the broadcast area? Something in CA or out west?

We learned that YTTV does not restore Disney/ESPN channels to your custom line-up. It was referring us to ESPN programming in Home tab but it was missing from the Live tab. We had to log into YTTV on our browser, scroll to the bottom of available channels, re-check ESPN, ACCN, SECN and drag them from the bottom of the listing back to our sports grouping.

Yeah - that happened to me. Kind of a pain to try and re-do the channel line-up like I had it. Plus there were a bunch of other channels down at the very bottom that I didn't even know I had.

Do you just ping into a server that you are pretty sure isn't in the broadcast area? Something in CA or out west?

Yeah. Usually I use Illinois or California. There are plenty of options.

Just canceled DirectTV and signed up for YTTV. Their retainer offer was a joke and still way more than YTTV. Last year I was able to get it down to the same price so I stayed. This time was about $50 more than YTTV. How do they expect to keep customers? Got my mom’s cable log-in to use on the Bally app so should be good to go there.

Have yttv as well. Downloaded Spectrum app on my phone to leverage my parent’s account and thought I would be good. Still couldn’t watch Bally on phone because it popped a message up about needing to be on a Spectrum Wi-fi. Bally channels were a darker color as were the Turner channels and ran into the same issue for those. I have access to ESPN+ as well so guess I’ll try the vpn approach.

Have yttv as well. Downloaded Spectrum app on my phone to leverage my parent’s account and thought I would be good. Still couldn’t watch Bally on phone because it popped a message up about needing to be on a Spectrum Wi-fi. Bally channels were a darker color as were the Turner channels and ran into the same issue for those. I have access to ESPN+ as well so guess I’ll try the vpn approach.

yeah I think the Spectrum app only works if you're on the home network. my mom has Spectrum at her house in NC and she only needs one cable box because the other TV uses the app.

I got her Mediacom log-in from her house in FL, so I have access to Bally Florida (former Sun Network). hopefully they'll have most of our games, but I guess worst case I'll just get her Spectrum log-in.

Back