• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I signed up for YTTV with the Sunday Ticket this weekend due to the Spectrum/ESPN fiasco. I guess I'll drop Spectrum cable TV in the near future. In the interim it may be fine, but I'm sure in the long run I'll end up paying more for the internet plus the various a la carte streaming services than I do for cable, with the pain in the ass of having to switch between the various apps, find my damn passwords, and reset the fucking router.

in addition to a back button for YTTV, I'd appreciate a "live" button

both have workarounds that are fine, but if you're trying to make simple fixes, those are low hanging fruit

It took me a little while to get YTTV user experience down but once i did i will never look back. It’s very nice.

Pretty good analysis here about what cord cutting has done and where everyone will find themselves when the dust/smoke clears. It doesn't sound good for the consumer.

https://www.outkick.com/espn-charter-cable-bundle-sports/

There are plenty of good points but it is very long and poorly written. There’s one major flaw with his argument. He argues that the cable bundle drives ESPN. Sure, plenty of people have cable who don’t care about sports which means ESPN gets a ton of revenue from non-sports fans. But sports is the main reason to subscribe to a cable bundle as well. Without the need to have the ESPN, Fox Sports, Ballys families of network together with TBS, TNT, and other cable channels that air sports, few people under the age of 50 would have a cable bundle at all. So ESPN is helping to keep the bundle together. That’s what people on this thread are doing, just taking their business to YTTV or a different service that does offer ESPN.

Last edited:
Sounds like Spectrum and Disney reached a deal in advance of MNF. I still may tell Spectrum to go fuck themselves, will see how well YTTV holds up for me over the next week or so.

what do you people watch on live TV that isn't sports? local news at 5?

isn't most of it streaming somewhere else anyways?

I watch a lot of Threes Company. Now, I'm sure I could stream the entire Threes Company library for like $4. But, I enjoy flipping to whatever channel it is that shows it nightly and being surprised at who is at the Regal Beagle tonight.

Top Chef. My wife likes some network shows. Food Network is a mindless thing some nights, particularly a DDD marathon. news stations for stuff like major breaking news, debates, election nights, etc.

there's a Paw Patrol spin-off that's not on Paramount+ so we DVR it for him to watch on occasion. since switching from DirecTV to YTTV a couple of years ago I feel like I watch much less cable TV as opposed to other apps.

My biggest gripe with YTTV is the lack of a mini guide on the right side of the screen you could scroll through while still watching whatever was on. You have to go to the full screen live channel guide that covers the whole screen.

My biggest gripe with YTTV is the lack of a mini guide on the right side of the screen you could scroll through while still watching whatever was on. You have to go to the full screen live channel guide that covers the whole screen.
on the yttv app on roku you just have to push the down button to get a quarter-screen menu of options you can scroll through

The problem with most streaming versions of shows is forced ads. If you set YTTV to DVR a show you can (with a few exceptions) fast forward through ads and/or slow moments or whatever. Streaming usually sets those annoying checkpoints of required ads, some annoyingly long, and if you skip a section bam, more ads. Love how YTTV has a "choose version" option where you can pick either one. The recorded-when-live version is usually much better.

One thing that's flipped recently is how maybe 2+ years ago, the streaming version of whatever you wanted to watch was usually a worse experience than the live one quality-wise. But now that's generally reversed, even in sports. For instance, here in the DC area the Fox affiliate is just horrid. Everything not only gets knocked down to 720p but also compressed like crazy. For stuff like golf that switches from online to broadcast coverage it's miserable to go from a pristine 1080p feed to that crap. Yet it happens all the time. Even worse was stuff like the Olympics - it was in 4k for lesser events then the broadcast stuff blacked out the 4k feed most of the time and was awful. Worse still are the legacy shows like Yellowstone that were not permitted on streaming platforms in-season. Old episodes were like 4k streamed with 5.1 sound, gorgeous, then a new episode would be ultra-compressed low bitrate 720p garbage on the network.

I care way less about the dreamland world where nothing is bundled and everyone just selects exactly what they want a la cart (will never happen, because math) versus just a consistent delivery of high quality image/sound.

i don't have ads on any of the streaming services I have, but I also share like eight paid streaming services among various family and in-laws and what not and pay for one or two of them myself

Not much, personally. Live sports is essentially the only time I have to sit through commercials on YTTV. When available, the multi-boxes limit that exposure, too.

Occasionally, I'll watch WXII in the morning while getting ready for work. In that case, I turn the tv on and pause it, do some shit, and then come back with my overnight oats 5-10 minutes later. Then I can fast-forward through any commercials or vapid news reporting.

I like to watch Jeopardy daily, but I just pull up the recording after the kids are in bed. Everything else can just get recorded and watched whenever. The fast-forward button is well-worn on my Roku controller.

Pro Wrestling. That's it
I still like to flip through a "channel guide" and stumble on to Tombstone or Shawshank Redemption or whatever Marvel movie they have on and pop in mid way or wherever

Back