• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I honestly don't think much else....my dad watches the Golf Channel and home renovation shows, but my mom is mainly the one that watches TV.

That's a good idea.
also, not sure your personal tv/internet set-up, but i'm splitting YTTV among three households with my dad and my brother, so could be an option for you to get in on cutting out cable too

Is there any real difference between Hulu Live (which is what I have) and YTTV? I've been totally happy with Hulu.

Is there any real difference between Hulu Live (which is what I have) and YTTV? I've been totally happy with Hulu.
when I tried hulu live a few years ago it wouldn't let you fast forward through commercials. that was a deal breaker for me.

Is there a service that allows you to FF through commercials when live?
YTTV lets you fast forward through commercials if you're watching something recorded or if you are a little bit behind live. When I had hulu live it made you stop and watch the commercials even on recorded or delayed programs. I don't know if they have changed that in the last few years.

YTTV lets you fast forward through commercials if you're watching something recorded or if you are a little bit behind live. When I had hulu live it made you stop and watch the commercials even on recorded or delayed programs. I don't know if they have changed that in the last few years.
oh wow. That would be a horrible experience

YTTV blends on-demand and DVR. It can be confusing even though it's probably the best way to do it for simplicity. But it can make a difference quality-wise.

On an FX show for example, you might set your DVR to record all episodes. That DVR recording you can fast forward through commercials, but it's an actual recording of the broadcast. But you could also choose the same show in your library and see a "choose version" under the recording, meaning there's an on-demand version and your DVR recording. If you pick the on-demand one you might be subjected to forced commercials. Sometimes the quality is better though, since it's a digital stream and not a recording.

Depends on the channel, show, policies in the area, etc. It's kind of a mess but not sure how you can deal with it any better than YTTV does considering the DVR space is truly unlimited.

YTTV blends on-demand and DVR. It can be confusing even though it's probably the best way to do it for simplicity. But it can make a difference quality-wise.

On an FX show for example, you might set your DVR to record all episodes. That DVR recording you can fast forward through commercials, but it's an actual recording of the broadcast. But you could also choose the same show in your library and see a "choose version" under the recording, meaning there's an on-demand version and your DVR recording. If you pick the on-demand one you might be subjected to forced commercials. Sometimes the quality is better though, since it's a digital stream and not a recording.

Depends on the channel, show, policies in the area, etc. It's kind of a mess but not sure how you can deal with it any better than YTTV does considering the DVR space is truly unlimited.
Very well explained

I’ve come to realize that the few cable shows I do watch get posted to Peacock and Max so now questioning if I need YTTV for anything other than sports. Will see what the standalone ESPN service looks like.

i'm such a streaming baby that i can't imagine watching shows with commercials, even recorded shows I could fast forward through

YTTV has multiview on the mobile app for the tournament and hopefully for good.

It's been crazy to watch the shift over the past 3 years from broadcast/live TV being the "good" feed to digital/streaming being far superior. Sports were the last to fall, but there are officailly zero platforms left where broadcasts are better. Even with an OTA setup you're generally just pulling the best possible version of a shitty compressed version.

They just need to push through and admit defeat for the big networks. It's really annoying to watch a solid (albeit upconverted I think) 4k HDR feed of The Players Championship on Thurs/Fri, then they pass the baton to NBC and it turns to garbage for the weekend with zero 4k coverage.

Similar nonsense for the NCAA tourney. Basketball has like 3 cameras that matter to cover an entire game, but they can't manage any 4k at any point in the tourney this year. Such a joke.

-YTTV has more channels in 5.1 audio than hulu
- YTTV has (when programming is available) NBATV, NBC, ESPN, & FOX Sports live in 4K/HDR, Hulu only offers some original programming and movies in 4K.

If that matters...

-YTTV has more channels in 5.1 audio than hulu
- YTTV has (when programming is available) NBATV, NBC, ESPN, & FOX Sports live in 4K/HDR, Hulu only offers some original programming and movies in 4K.

If that matters...
4k is an up charge though. It’s an extra YTTV package
I’ve not found enough programming to make it worth it for me…tried it for a bit but realized it just wasn’t prevalent enough

I did the free preview during the world cup and thought 4k offerings were lacking as well.

Back