• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Oh I missed that for some reason I saw NFL not NBA.

I’d rather watch ickeys sacks than the hornets generally. And yeah they’re on Bally just like the canes.

I don’t give a shit about the hornets so I don’t mind if they are blacked out.

I think they're still blacked out but a Magic game showed up on my channel guide this week.

I finally got my Spectrum account straightened out. Even after having canceled the cable package it was showing up on my online bill...many days after the cancelation.

I had to call a dozen times (!) to re-request the cancelation and request account adjustment.

I wager I spent 10 hours on those phone calls.

I saw that last week, but it also said "Some combinations may not be available." So it's kind of the same as it was.

8361bb361c6437cf3fada02447da6a4a.jpg

d554bea7cdb0a1bee2dc05aeecc8c635.jpg

Hello friends, my Roku is so old it can’t download Apple TV or peacock. So before I buy a new one, I wanted to ask Roku, fire stick or google tv? What’s the preferred option.

Got to be Google TV, right? I have one and it's great. Nvidia shield is better, but more expensive. Apparently latest Apple TV box is pretty sweet, but also more than Google Chromecast with TV.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I’ve moved from FireTVs to Apple TV and really like them. The ads in FireTV finally broke me.

So....trying to help my parents lower their Cable/Internet bill.

They were paying Spectrum for 300 Mbps Internet, TV Package, and Home Phone (lol) and were paying $288.xx....my mom had it on Autopay and apparently they've upped the price a few times without her realizing it. But they called TODAY and said that the package would be UPGRADING TODAY to a "better option" and now her bill is $319.xx.

Regardless, I tried to chat with Spectrum, and they said the best they could do is get her down to around $290. I said that's what they were paying before.

I asked what deals or packages new customers get, as my parents have been customers for over 30 years (ish) and never had a late payment. She wouldn't tell me that. I had to sign out and open a new chat with someone who could only quote the prices for the individual options that were on the website (she literally posted the www.spectrum.com website to me in a chat that was accessed on www.spectrum.com). They are literally incompetent. She finally came back at me with a number of $172.72 with the Xumo Stream Box and Home Phone....I told her I only wanted TV + Internet. She said "Ok, that will be $167.73"....I said, "So that whole Xumo Stream Box and Home Phone service costs $4.99???"

Anyway, everyone around our neighborhood and nearby have been getting Kinetic Fiber thru Windstream. They have offers of like $39.99/mon for 3 months, then $69.99 for the rest of the year, then to actual full price...or $54.99 guaranteed for 2 years (I think, the website said "3 month price guarantee" with "2 year price guarantee" and "3 year price guarantee" all in one big list under the price, so I think they have no clue what the guarantee will be). My mom doesn't wanna go without her TV because she needs to watch her Real Housewives live. So Windstream partners with Dish, but she hates satellite.

I want to get her to change or at least try to cancel with Spectrum. Has anyone had any experience with retention deals or offers through Spectrum?

I don't understand how companies can justify making long-time customers pay 2x-3x what new customers pay...and with a straight face.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!!

I switched to Lumos and YTTV (combined it’s about $150). When I called to cancel Spectrum (300+) they kept me on the phone for more than 45 minutes. At the end the said they would lower the bill to $180 and I told them to fuck off.

I'm a bit rural..
T mobile internet : $50
Yttv: I think about $70

Not great. But not $300

YTTV is the way to go for streaming TV. When we cut the cord over 7 years ago, our Spectrum bill was over $200. Now we are only beholden to the evil Spectrum for internet. Looking forward to T-Mobile internet becoming available in our neighborhood in the next year.

So....trying to help my parents lower their Cable/Internet bill.

They were paying Spectrum for 300 Mbps Internet, TV Package, and Home Phone (lol) and were paying $288.xx....my mom had it on Autopay and apparently they've upped the price a few times without her realizing it. But they called TODAY and said that the package would be UPGRADING TODAY to a "better option" and now her bill is $319.xx.

Regardless, I tried to chat with Spectrum, and they said the best they could do is get her down to around $290. I said that's what they were paying before.

I asked what deals or packages new customers get, as my parents have been customers for over 30 years (ish) and never had a late payment. She wouldn't tell me that. I had to sign out and open a new chat with someone who could only quote the prices for the individual options that were on the website (she literally posted the www.spectrum.com website to me in a chat that was accessed on www.spectrum.com). They are literally incompetent. She finally came back at me with a number of $172.72 with the Xumo Stream Box and Home Phone....I told her I only wanted TV + Internet. She said "Ok, that will be $167.73"....I said, "So that whole Xumo Stream Box and Home Phone service costs $4.99???"

Anyway, everyone around our neighborhood and nearby have been getting Kinetic Fiber thru Windstream. They have offers of like $39.99/mon for 3 months, then $69.99 for the rest of the year, then to actual full price...or $54.99 guaranteed for 2 years (I think, the website said "3 month price guarantee" with "2 year price guarantee" and "3 year price guarantee" all in one big list under the price, so I think they have no clue what the guarantee will be). My mom doesn't wanna go without her TV because she needs to watch her Real Housewives live. So Windstream partners with Dish, but she hates satellite.

I want to get her to change or at least try to cancel with Spectrum. Has anyone had any experience with retention deals or offers through Spectrum?

I don't understand how companies can justify making long-time customers pay 2x-3x what new customers pay...and with a straight face.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!!
what do your folks watch on TV besides Real
Housewives?

for me, YTTV is great but I only watch sports on TV — looks like YTTV carries Bravo

locking in the fiber rate plus YTTV would have them paying half what they were with Spectrum

I honestly don't think much else....my dad watches the Golf Channel and home renovation shows, but my mom is mainly the one that watches TV.

That's a good idea.

YTTV is the way to go for streaming TV. When we cut the cord over 7 years ago, our Spectrum bill was over $200. Now we are only beholden to the evil Spectrum for internet. Looking forward to T-Mobile internet becoming available in our neighborhood in the next year.
Dropped Spectrum. Got in early on T-mobile internet. So I'm paying $25 a month for internet and $75 for YTTV. The internet is comparable and I get way more channels on YTTV. Haven't missed Spectrum at all.

Wrangling with Spectrum is a real pain in the ass. I don't know if they're intentionally obtuse ( so you'll just give up) or just stupid as shit.

I was paying them north of $250/month for tv, internet, and voip phone. I'm down to internet and phone for $80/. I'm doing YTTV for $70.

I'd look at another internet carrier, but my location in rural WNC has no other hardwired choice.

From what I understand, Spectrum is less interested in the TV market than in taking more a share of the mobile phone pie.

I switched to Lumos and YTTV (combined it’s about $150). When I called to cancel Spectrum (300+) they kept me on the phone for more than 45 minutes. At the end the said they would lower the bill to $180 and I told them to fuck off.

I've been on YTTV for a while and recently Lumos became available in my area. Like you, I have those two. The most satisfying thing is repeatedly telling Spectrum "no" when they finally start bargaining (too late). Spectrum's final offer did approach the Lumos price and bandwidth. My advice for those on Spectrum who want/have to stay is to cancel before going on vacation. Let them call you while you are away and get a better deal from them.

Back