• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch Thread Credibility Watch

Notice how when Wake starts playing well, bkf is nowhere to be seen?

What a huge, old, gaping, pussy.

It's obvious he gets off on rooting against Wake. He always shows up when we loose to bask in it and always hides when we win. Such an old sad sack of shit.

You don't know anything about this specific situation, but, as usual, you talk out of your ass like you do.

You don't know anything about this specific situation, but, as usual, you talk out of your ass like you do.

Other than for a few profs with sticks up their ass, the "optics" would be great. The rest of Wake would get tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars in free press. We'd draw more donations to build better facilities and to attract better profs and students. The current prof's pay would be going up with more revenue or at least their ability to negotiate for more.

Oh, the horror of having a Harvard/Northwestern grad as prof to help the rest of school.

What a snobbish and myopic position to take.

Too good.

Nope, what's too good is your willful ignorance and arrogance.

One does not need knowledge about this specific situation to know that Wake was not going to gift a professorship to the wife of a coaching prospect, a wife who lacked a PhD and appears to be nothing more than a freelance journalist, in order to lure him to accept a job with us. That's asinine.

What's asinine is being arrogant about a specific situation that you know nothing about and acting like you do. You don't have a clue about what happened or how it happened. However, your inflated self-delusions won't allow you to admit this.

About four years ago.

As to the free press, how much is each game on ESPN/ESPN 2 or other Tier 1 national networks worth versus ESPN 3 and secondary networks? It doesn't take many to get to tens of millions inf free press. From that free press, you raise money, that how it works.

how many millions up millions did we raise from having Maya Angelou on campus? Shaka could have brought in much more.

Don't dispute that a high profile hire increases free press and money raised. Do dispute that Shaka Smart hiring would bring in 100's of millions MORE than another successful coach. The choice is not Shaka Smart vs. Zero. You could argue that, while Smart was considered the best chance of having success, Manning has a higher name recognition and, if successful, has a higher ceiling for increasing free press and money raised. You go after Smart first because of the higher chance of success, but perhaps you don't sell the farm to make it happen because there is no such thing as a guaranteed success and you have other options.

RJ are you willing to entertain the far fetched notion that other people living and working in Winston Salem (included some who work or have worked directly for Wake Forest on campus), might have a little better understanding of the pulse of the Wake Forest faculty than you do?

Have you stopped, even for a second, to consider the possibility that the reason you perceive everyone as arrogant is that everyone is, in fact, much smarter than you?

Not at all, there is a certain group that has a mob mentality and acts that way. Most of the board isn't that.

The fact you can't conceive of a concept that someone who has been around Wake athletics for nearly half a century might actually have some insights and access that you don't, or a bunch of millennials doesn't have, shows your lack of depth and rationality.

The fact your ignorant and childish disgust with me refuses to allow you to understand that a team that has never been ranked the entire season, or even have gotten votes to be ranked, would be a "long shot" to beat the #7/8 team illustrates a level of irrationality that should register with anyone with common sense.

This discussion is great. I'll clear a couple of things up (as far as i know):

1) PhD is not necessarily the terminal degree in journalism. A great university would be happy to hire a journalism instructor without a PhD.

2) Wake Forest does not have a journalism department or a communications school. Nor do we have a journalism major. Our program in journalism offers a minor through the English Department. Affiliated faculty aren't available right now on the website, but i imagine it's one or two permanent faculty and then one or two visiting instructors on two or three year contracts.

3) Academic departments don't take kindly to having their hands forced. Spousal hires are the most frequent cases of this, and usually in these situations the department pushing for the additional hire (often with help from the Dean's office) will pay at least half of the hire's salary. Still on the department to find office space and other resources. Plus it severely impacts their chances of future searches where they could select somebody they actually wanted. Now, when the Dean asks (or tells) you to do it, you do it because they control your money. No department is taking orders from athletics. Who would pay her salary? What would she teach (our curriculum in journalism is probably set)?

3) Maya Angelou had an endowed professorship (meaning a department isn't paying her salary). She's also one of the most important poets of the twentieth century. Comparing her to a journalist -- possibly without any teaching experience -- is laughable. Smart's wife isn't going to draw students to journalism or make the school any money.

Bottom line, Wake could never have given her an Academic job. Blaming Hatch for that is kind of silly.

I'd be interested in seeing what she's up to now. Texas has an absolutely gigantic Communications School and a huge journalism major. Did they hire her?

What's asinine is being arrogant about a specific situation that you know nothing about and acting like you do. You don't have a clue about what happened or how it happened. However, your inflated self-delusions won't allow you to admit this.

I'm very curious, RJ, since you seem to know. What did happen?

RJ are you willing to entertain the far fetched notion that other people living and working in Winston Salem (included some who work or have worked directly for Wake Forest on campus), might have a little better understanding of the pulse of the Wake Forest faculty than you do?

Employers make decisions that employees disagree with on a daily basis. Sometimes they are right. Sometimes they are wrong. Sometimes the employees are wrong for the right right reasons.

In a general term, you would be right, but in the bigger scheme of things one hire, that could help everyone in the long run, doesn't make a big difference.

But you don't want to think about that. For two reasons, first you oppose the concept. Secondly, I'm the one saying it. I understand #2. it's sad but I understand it.

Don't dispute that a high profile hire increases free press and money raised. Do dispute that Shaka Smart hiring would bring in 100's of millions MORE than another successful coach. The choice is not Shaka Smart vs. Zero. You could argue that, while Smart was considered the best chance of having success, Manning has a higher name recognition and, if successful, has a higher ceiling for increasing free press and money raised. You go after Smart first because of the higher chance of success, but perhaps you don't sell the farm to make it happen because there is no such thing as a guaranteed success and you have other options.

So our take away should be that at Shaka's current location they have raised hundreds of millions more in donations etc. Evidence please.

Junebug, why don't you disclose confidential material about your clients on this board?

So I'm confused, is this the Shaka credibility thread, the Hatch credibility thread, or the Shaka's wife credibility thread?

Coach Manning wasn't our 2nd choice. He turned out to be a good choice, but we would have hired Smart, Miller, or White if they wanted to come here. They didn't, so Coach Manning got the call.

White was offered and didn't want the job? I don't remember that.

White was offered and didn't want the job? I don't remember that.

White wasn't offered.

during the time of the search, it was reported white told wellman he wasn't ready (he took the UF job a year later).

in fact danny appears to have been our 5th choice. (shaka, miller, white, amaker!.... danny).

This discussion is great. I'll clear a couple of things up (as far as i know):

1) PhD is not necessarily the terminal degree in journalism. A great university would be happy to hire a journalism instructor without a PhD.

2) Wake Forest does not have a journalism department or a communications school. Nor do we have a journalism major. Our program in journalism offers a minor through the English Department. Affiliated faculty aren't available right now on the website, but i imagine it's one or two permanent faculty and then one or two visiting instructors on two or three year contracts.

3) Academic departments don't take kindly to having their hands forced. Spousal hires are the most frequent cases of this, and usually in these situations the department pushing for the additional hire (often with help from the Dean's office) will pay at least half of the hire's salary. Still on the department to find office space and other resources. Plus it severely impacts their chances of future searches where they could select somebody they actually wanted. Now, when the Dean asks (or tells) you to do it, you do it because they control your money. No department is taking orders from athletics. Who would pay her salary? What would she teach (our curriculum in journalism is probably set)?

3) Maya Angelou had an endowed professorship (meaning a department isn't paying her salary). She's also one of the most important poets of the twentieth century. Comparing her to a journalist -- possibly without any teaching experience -- is laughable. Smart's wife isn't going to draw students to journalism or make the school any money.

Bottom line, Wake could never have given her an Academic job. Blaming Hatch for that is kind of silly.

I'd be interested in seeing what she's up to now. Texas has an absolutely gigantic Communications School and a huge journalism major. Did they hire her?

This is a great post. Thanks for your insight. If she did get hired by UT, she didn't put it on her website.

Back