• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I think Clawson wins one in the ACC as it existed in 2006. Different animal these days

I agree

Much respect for Grobe and job he did in 2006. Also much respect for Odom for 1996 and 1997, and Prosser for winning the last ACC round robin by 2 games. Impressive seasons, no question.

But give me Clawson over all of them.

Obviously winning a conference Championship in a conference where your champ has made the national championship game three years in a row is a tall order.

It's not just a matter of calling up the coach we want and having him sign on the dotted line. The right coach has to want to come here, and nobody worth a damn wanted to come here after Dino and Bz. I seriously doubt Mack would want to coach at WF.

no way would Mack leave X for WF right now

surely we could have had him in 2010, however, along with a host of other candidates that would have been better than Bz (including Buzz Williams, Larranaga, Brownell to name 3)

Robinson is from Raleigh. Was he on anyone's recruiting radar in HS among WF, State, Duke and UNC? Realize Ky Bowman was another NC kid that ended up at BC, but Bowman was a two-sport athlete with football being his primary sport; so, understandable how he was under the radar as hoop recruit.

Obviously winning a conference Championship in a conference where your champ has made the national championship game three years in a row is a tall order.

Two years in a row. They didn't make it this year. Seems to be a common mistake. I've seen others do the same thing.

Point noted though. I think Clemson is beatable. Cuse did it this year. Pitt did it last year. The trick for Wake is to be that team that pulls off the Clemson upset and hold strong against the rest of the conference. The schedule sets up pretty well this year. We've got Clemson at home. FSU is in a transition year so it's a good time to get them on the road. Same with Louisville post Jackson. At State is the biggest threat on the road schedule. If we go into at Duke with a chance to win the conference, I think we actually show up.

no way would Mack leave X for WF right now

surely we could have had him in 2010, however, along with a host of other candidates that would have been better than Bz (including Buzz Williams, Larranaga, Brownell to name 3)

Even if we'd hired Mack then he would have bolted for X when the chance came up.

I do think some good candidates probably avoided WF after Dino was fired, though we made the worst possible choice of the choices available to us.

When we hired Buzz, some of you said we shouldn't go super young and to get away from the Xavier tree. Since then, now 49 year old Chris Mack has X rolling. We should have hired him in his 30s (or Kelsey, or Miller, or Wojo) -- anything but what we did.

Mack has had Xavier in 6 Sweet 16s. We don't have 6 Sweet 16 in the last 40 years.

We must go young and smart. A guy who has been coach since his early 20s. If that doesn't work, we need to do it again and again.

First of all, fuck Wojo, I'd rather have [Redacted]. Second, you really think Chris Mack would have come to Wake after Wellman fire Gaudio?

Two years in a row. They didn't make it this year. Seems to be a common mistake. I've seen others do the same thing.

Point noted though. I think Clemson is beatable. Cuse did it this year. Pitt did it last year. The trick for Wake is to be that team that pulls off the Clemson upset and hold strong against the rest of the conference. The schedule sets up pretty well this year. We've got Clemson at home. FSU is in a transition year so it's a good time to get them on the road. Same with Louisville post Jackson. At State is the biggest threat on the road schedule. If we go into at Duke with a chance to win the conference, I think we actually show up.

beating Clemson when you have their full attention is a tall order

Neither Pitt nor Cuse had their full attention; WFU will this fall, I believe

beating Clemson when you have their full attention is a tall order

Neither Pitt nor Cuse had their full attention; WFU will this fall, I believe

The Clemson teams the last few years under Dabo are a different beast from the team that Grobe and Co beat in 2006. Wake will need a whole lot to go right for them and a bunch to go wrong for Clemson for Wake to beat them in fall 2018.

The Clemson teams the last few years under Dabo are a different beast from the team that Grobe and Co beat in 2006. Wake will need a whole lot to go right for them and a bunch to go wrong for Clemson for Wake to beat them in fall 2018.

I agree...and Grobe didn't beat Clemson in 2006

It's not just a matter of calling up the coach we want and having him sign on the dotted line. The right coach has to want to come here, and nobody worth a damn wanted to come here after Dino and Bz. I seriously doubt Mack would want to coach at WF.

This.

If it was that simple, Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart would have been or might still be Wake coaches.

True. But I think our team is a different beast as well. And keep in mind, we haven't faced them with a full-time starter since 2015.

Grobe had the "perfect storm" the year Wake won the ACC. Some of it was good work by his staff. The fresh Deacs class had a lot of "diamonds in the rough" that developed into polished high quality players. It was a combination of finding guys with high up sides and then working with them to get the player to reach his maximum.

Clemson was not what it is today. They were still under the delusion that hiring the son of a great coach is the same as hiring the great coach. Bobby Bowden was in decline at FSU. He had lost some key assistants, and did not do a good job replacing them. VPI had a less than stellar year. Louisville was not yet an ACC team. And Elrod, as a Wake coach, was presumably not giving away Wake's playbook. Megatron had Reggie Ball throwing the ball. (Sometimes even in his direction.)

Grobe had the Wake team peak at just the right time to take advantage of the situation and win the title.

All true, except VPI was 11-3 that year, which is not bad. We were lucky they lost to GA Tech or we would have had to play them again in the ACCCG after they throttled us earlier in Winston.

And Manning too..... Wake approached others the last time around & got shot down. Ron went after young guys like Smart & White, but was told "No thanks." He then opted for a household name that has a great basketball history that just took a Tulsa team to the NCAA tournament.

Lots of rumors that Wake was shot down all over the place. I have seen nothing resembling proof or certainty that happened.

All I heard was we went after Shaka and the next thing you know, we are announcing Manning. There is a world of coaches between Shaka Smart and Danny Manning.
Wellman is an idiot, so who knows. Maybe no one would work for him but Wake should still be able to attract up and coming coaches who are not 50 years old.

All true, except VPI was 11-3 that year, which is not bad. We were lucky they lost to GA Tech or we would have had to play them again in the ACCCG after they throttled us earlier in Winston.

Though TBF that game didn't really mean much to us. We knew that if we beat Maryland the next week we were ACCCG bound regardless.

Still glad we drew GT instead of VT

Lots of rumors that Wake was shot down all over the place. I have seen nothing resembling proof or certainty that happened.

All I heard was we went after Shaka and the next thing you know, we are announcing Manning. There is a world of coaches between Shaka Smart and Danny Manning.
Wellman is an idiot, so who knows. Maybe no one would work for him but Wake should still be able to attract up and coming coaches who are not 50 years old.

Most of the "inside info" on Shaka was just made up BS from RJ anyway. BS about insulting offers, insulting Shaka's wife, etc, etc.

Was reading through this thread and I think I would have to say that my expectations for any coach at WFU would be to recruit guys of character who can perform in the classroom as well as on the court. But from a strictly basketball perspective, I want a team that has some semblance of fundamentals. Play basic defense and be able to run an offense. I think that we have a team that could perform above .500 this season but because we are on the And1 tour where flash dominates, we have done poorly. I blame DM for not having control of his team. Some players play 35+ minutes a game no matter how many mistakes they make or how many bad shots they take. I think it has sent a message to the rest of the team. Let's give the HotDog a little less time and see if we don't play a little more team basketball.

Was reading through this thread and I think I would have to say that my expectations for any coach at WFU would be to recruit guys of character who can perform in the classroom as well as on the court. But from a strictly basketball perspective, I want a team that has some semblance of fundamentals. Play basic defense and be able to run an offense. I think that we have a team that could perform above .500 this season but because we are on the And1 tour where flash dominates, we have done poorly. I blame DM for not having control of his team. Some players play 35+ minutes a game no matter how many mistakes they make or how many bad shots they take. I think it has sent a message to the rest of the team. Let's give the HotDog a little less time and see if we don't play a little more team basketball.

This thread has been going on for 4 years, which page/rage did you start on?

Year 1 of the DMCW was frustrated optimism.
Year 2 of the DMCW was frustrated pessimism.
Year 3 of the DMCW was mild crow eating and being back to frustrated optimism.
Year 4 of the DMCW is back to frustrated pessimism.

Back