• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Guys.... We can't be goldilocks about our next coach.

Get a young dude with huge upside before he's out of our league

Wake is a good enough job that if you get the ball rolling there aren't too many better jobs in hoops unless the NBA comes calling or a top 5 blue blood comes calling

We can wait on Wes to go the next tier up but if he crushes it there then we likely won't be able to get him

The time is now!

What's the worst that can happen? He only wins three acc road games in four years?

Thanks DR for telling us this years ago. At least we could watch and see it for ourselves. I hope it's not too late.

with our luck we'll fire danny and then wes will go on a magical run leading uncg to the final four and then take some blue blood job when their coach is fired for this FBI investigation and we'll be stuck hiring bobby collins
I mean I’m not down for hiring Wes Miller, but he is more qualified at this point than Danny was when we hired him.

DR is going to be insufferable if we hire Wes and he leads us to multiple national championships over the next 40 years.

Haven't been able to watch too much WF basketball or post on the boards because I've been super busy at work. But Danny is a poor coach and I think Wes Miller is a reasonable enough replacement option. Especially if he will come on at a reasonable price point such that his salary + Danny's dead money would work financially for Wake. Him making NCAA's tonight is pretty big, not because it proves he is a better coach or anything, but because it would make the hire an easier sell.

Fully expecting Danny to be back and WF to have 7 or 8 ACC wins, Kenpom 50-70 range next year though. Sadly.

Nice pipe dream but he would never win a ship here, ACC or NCAA so no trade off necessary.

Just let the dreamers dream, man!

But really, just saying I’d take DR being a gigantic douche if we win a couple natty ships.

It is kind of amazing after all the Wes Miller talk that Wake and UNCG would be #90 and #91 in Kenpom, with tonight's win pushing UNCG finally ahead of Wake.

Definitely hard not to like Miller. Then again he still lost to Manning's Wake team this year. That conference is just god-awful.

But he did it with UNCG recruits. There is not one player on that team that could have received a scholarship to Wake, yet the team is better.

I don't want anyone having anything to do with the steaming pile of crap that is UNC Chapel Hill having anything to do with our program, our university, or our kids.

But he did it with UNCG recruits. There is not one player on that team that could have received a scholarship to Wake, yet the team is better.

Are they? You can compare Kenpom, or you could say, I don't know . . . see what happened when they actually played. And that was before Doral turned into near double-double machine.

I don't know the details on Wes Miller's ties to Kenneth Miller (his father?), and how much $$ the Miller family has put into MSD, but not sure if having the kid as an active candidate who subsequently isn't hired, or one you might have to fire later if hired, is the best scenario. But if he's 3rd cousin once removed, by all means go for it.

Are they? You can compare Kenpom, or you could say, I don't know . . . see what happened when they actually played. And that was before Doral turned into near double-double machine.

Or you could watch the NCAA tournament and compare the results there.

I don't know the details on Wes Miller's ties to Kenneth Miller (his father?), and how much $$ the Miller family has put into MSD, but not sure if having the kid as an active candidate who subsequently isn't hired, or one you might have to fire later if hired, is the best scenario. But if he's 3rd cousin once removed, by all means go for it.

This was the same fucked up logic that forced Wes to UNC when he wanted to be at Wake. Who cares who his dad is. We should hire regardless and fire regardless. The fact that he grew up a Wake fan only helps us keep him if/when he wins.

I don't think this should really be a worry. I think he should get an interview and be a candidate because why not? There are right ways to deal with hiring/letting people know they won't be receiving a job offer that shouldn't result in any ill-will from the family. "We really like you as a coach and a person Wes, but we're in a position where we're looking for a more established coach that can take over the program with less risk." etc. etc.

VT is better than UVA. I mean, look what happened when they actually played.

Back